PDA

View Full Version : Yes dear...that is a cow head in the cooler next to the t-bones

woodsman86
04-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Ok, so I went to a Mexican market today that was recommended by a local called Pro's Ranch Market.

http://www.prosranch.com/Default.aspx

It was awesome as far as the variety of produce and meats they had there, all imported from Mexico. They make a lot of things in-house as well. They literally had every part of the cow for sale in the cooler-lips, tongue, eyes, rocky mountain oysters, heart, The WHOLE Head, ect... So what in the world could you use a COW HEAD for? Has anyone here ever cooked a cow head?

They also had 2'x2' pork rinds, very hard to resist. The next trip I will remember a camera. I have never come across a cow head looking at me from a cooler-LOL

crashdive123
04-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Slice off the top, get a bag of chips and start dipping.

woodsman86
04-17-2011, 11:17 PM
A little Lipton onion soup mix would go a long way.

kyratshooter
04-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I once knew an old mexican lady that was 107 the last time I saw her.

She said the key to long life was to eat a boiled goat head for sunday Lunch after mass.

At 107 I was not going to argue.

nell67
04-18-2011, 08:01 AM
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/07/cow-head-barbacoa.html

Bleh,LOL! in most areas,it is illegal to sell the head of a cow,due to the risk of mad cow disease.

BENESSE
04-18-2011, 08:08 AM
One would have to be mad to eat it so that would cancel the mad cow disease.
"Mad" people are immune to it.

gryffynklm
04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Barbcoa.

Slow cooked cow head or as a friend described it cooked cow face. I've never had it but he said it tasted great until he asked what was in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbacoa

Rick
04-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm sorry, I could never go with a cow head. Now, if you had two of them that would be a different story. Everyone knows two heads are better than one.

LowKey
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Do they still sell cow brains? We used to get them from a small butcher shop in the North End (Boston) and fried them up with eggs for breakfast or lunch.

You can get CMJ from any neural tissue in the animal, not just the brains. You gotta hope someone is checking the animals we eat.

We used to fry up the lungs too at my grandpa's place. Called Pluck. Cut into small pieces and fried with garlic and onions in some olive oil. You'd never know what it was once cooked.

Then there's tripe. Cow's stomach. Never really did like that even if drowned in spaghetti sauce.

Rick
04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Oops. You misspelled that. It's Puke not Pluck. Just sayin'.....

LowKey
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Nope. It's pluck. That's what it takes to eat it.

Rick
04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Well, looks like we're both right then 'cause that's what you'd have after you ate it.

woodsman86
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Definitely nothing I am looking to eat any time soon. Ya never know, I might get curious and pick one up. I will be sure to post a full review with pictures when that does occur.

nell67
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Just as disgusting as boiling a pigs head to make souse or "headcheese" I agree with Rick,PUKE!

Rick
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, think about it. Boiling that head you get boiled goat ear wax, boiled goat boogers, boiled goat snot and boiled anything they had stuck in their teeth. Oh yeah, yum, Uh huh.

BENESSE
04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Sounds like the recipe for SPAM.

Rick
04-18-2011, 11:22 PM
What the?.....(reading label) Well I swan. Would you look at that?

BENESSE
04-18-2011, 11:24 PM
The only thing missing is ground chicken beaks and mouse droppings.
But that's part of the secret family recipe.

Rick
04-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Well, both are sanctioned by the FDA as "minimally acceptable foreign substances".

BENESSE
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
It's as close to international (read: foreign) cuisine some people will come to; so it must be OK.

kyratshooter
04-18-2011, 11:37 PM
You guys have never been to a real hog killing!

I remember one time the only thing we threw away was the crap we washed out of the intestines to make the chittlin's.

Between the souse, sauasge and rendering the lard we used everything from A-hole to lips.

Rick
04-19-2011, 06:46 AM
What did you use the squeal for?

crashdive123
04-19-2011, 06:57 AM
To call in more pigs.

nell67
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
You guys have never been to a real hog killing!

I remember one time the only thing we threw away was the crap we washed out of the intestines to make the chittlin's.

Between the souse, sauasge and rendering the lard we used everything from A-hole to lips.

You ate blood pudding,didn't you?? BLEH!

Aurelius95
04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Barbcoa.

Slow cooked cow head or as a friend described it cooked cow face. I've never had it but he said it tasted great until he asked what was in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbacoa

There was that show that ran on TLC called The Wild Within... I think there have been a post or two about it here. Anyway, the guy went to Texas to hunt a boar and some sort of goat. They did a barbecoa at the end, in which they put a longhorn head in foil and buried it in the coals, after they removed the horns. Apparently, the horns get all gummy when you heat them. They also roasted the boar and moutnain goat. They didn't show them eating the brains, but they did cut out the tongue and cheek meat. Said it was real tasty. I'd try it.

Aurelius95
04-19-2011, 05:25 PM
You ate blood pudding,didn't you?? BLEH!

When I visited my friend in Ireland several years ago, there was this very tasty sausage. Turns out it was blood pudding. I still ate it, even though I knew what it was. Good stuff.

Rick
04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I think I just threw up a little.

nell67
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
i think i just threw up a little.
agreed!!!!!!!!!!

woodsman86
04-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I have heard tongue is really good.

Skinner
04-20-2011, 12:50 AM
you can try this out also

Smoked cow head barbacoa,
Ingredients:
1 cow head
Salt, pepper and cayenne
Two bottles of beer
Long banana leaves

Method:
Sprinkle the salt, pepper and cayenne all over the cow head

Completely wrap the cow head in several layers of banana leaves, securing it with kitchen twine.

In a banana-leaf-lined hotel pan, pour two bottles of beer.

Set the banana-leaf-wrapped cow head into the pan, and fold over pan-lining leaves.

Cover cow head and bottom pan with another hotel pan. Secure tight with kitchen twine.

Smoke for 24 hours, remove meat from head (will have to peel the skin off of the tongue), pull apart and make tacos!

****make sure the tonsils are removed from the Head Due to the Mad Cow issue out there.

Or If you get the Head That Has Not Been Cut Down to Mainly the Skull and Still has the Cheeks /Tongue and Eyes there's Many Other Dished you Can Do With Just these Items. Braised Cheeks and Boiled and Smoked Tongue are Great too and Steamed Eyeballs or even useing the Eyes for a Stew they will thicken it greatly.

Rick
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Here's my recipe for it.

Smoked cow head barbacoa,
Ingredients:
1 cow head
Salt, pepper and cayenne
Two bottles of beer
Long banana leaves

Method:
Sprinkle the salt, pepper and cayenne all over the cow head

Completely wrap the cow head in several layers of banana leaves, securing it with kitchen twine.
Toss cow head and banana leaves in trash.
Drink the beer.

Dink
07-16-2011, 02:12 AM
ACTUALLY.....

You can make something similar to head cheese like what is made from pigs, only you don't gut pack it. You simply shave off all pieces of meat, put them in a large pot to boil with salt, pepper, and whatever seasonings you want. After the meat is boiled to about 2/3 done, you dip it out from the water, lay it out on a cookie sheet or something similar, using fingers and a fork, knife or whatever you prefer, you commence to shredding the meat. Once this is done, place the meat in a foil deep sided pan and add BBQ sauce, steak sauce or whatever type of sauce you prefer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in an oven or on a BBQ grill to slow cook for about an hour. When done, it will be VERY tender and VERY tasty! You would be suprised at how much meat is lost because it is left on the head. and it is simply meat like the rest of the cow!

When I butcher mine, I like to keep the brains for tanning hides (on pigs, I like to fry them up and have them on sandwhiches), the horns (if there are any) for powder horns or dog chew toys, the ears for the coonhound because he is old and loves them roasted in gravy, the tongue, eyes (stick the end of them in your mouth, bite the edge carefully and suck the juice out...MMMMM) and external nose pad make great eating...THINK OUTSIDE THE BUN and you will realize there is a lot more to eating bee than just a steak, ribbs and hamburger...most of these part are in the hamburger at the stores anyways...this way you just get to enjoy them seperately! GOOD EATIN RIGHT THERE!! And I AM speaking from vast experience!