PDA

View Full Version : "Q"-Tips & Vaseline.......???

Sourdough
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Seems like every time I go to town I buy two more of those water-proof match containers. So in the course of transitioning from winter packs to summer packs, I found about 15 of those things, and about 1/2 had the whistle & compass.

So I figured to turn the whistle ones into cotton ball/Vaseline containers. But I could not find my cotton ball inventory, so I cut about 60 Q-tips in half rolled them in Vaseline and packed them into the water-proof match containers.

It is a warm 53* above today so I am also stuffing the winter packs full of arctic clothing for storage, and re-painting the winter packs with two fresh coats of Gloss White. Which also acts as water-proofing.

crashdive123
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
If you use a lighter (or other flame) on the q-tips they should work fine. Depending on how much Vaseline you put on them, it may be difficult to fluff them up enough to catch a spark. Best to try it before you need it.

Sourdough
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Good advise, each pack has several lighters, and several water-proof match containers, with self striking matches. I am phobic about being cold.

crashdive123
04-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Me too. Thinking about those nasty winters we have just gives me the shivers.

Rick
04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
The Q Tip "sticks" are rolled paper so they should work great as kindling. Try kindling can sometimes be hard to find.

EdD270
04-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Good idea, sourdough. Nice to find a use for things you wouldn't ordinarily carry.
I just put extra bandaids in my kit, and put a little lip balm on the cotton pad, then stick them to the tinder for a fire starter. Could carry some pj in a small tube or bottle, I guess. Sometimes I use hand sanitizer on the bandaids, it burns, too. If you use the fabric bandaids they burn very well. The plastic ones melt, but eventually burn.