PDA

View Full Version : What's in your kit?

mamab
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
We've been talking about the things we'd need to put in an emergency kit with our kids. Of course there are the obvious things like water, food, matches, first aid kit, candles. What else do you put in your kit?

tater03
02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't have this yet but I want one of those blankets that are suppoused to be really warm and made for a survival kit.

trick-r-treat
02-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Portable TV's, Radio's and plenty of batteries! You need to be able to catch the news.

Minwaabi
02-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Instead of using batteries which are made out of nasty little, hard-to-dispose of chemicals, you might check out the new hand crank radios. They've been out for a little while now.

mamab
02-10-2007, 02:47 PM
We bought a couple of those flashlights that don't have batteries. You just shake them for 30 seconds and they hold a charge for a while, are water proof, and almost indestructible. We'll have at least 2 of those in our kit. We also plan to buy a few for around the house.

tater03
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Those flashlights are awesome. I bought some of them last year. I really didn't think that they would really work but the work surprisingly well. I never thought of those in an emergency. Those would work great.

Chris
02-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Iodine tablets. Water is heavy and you wouldn't be able to store enough for long term use in a simple kit. Iodine tablets are great for purifying water though so you can make your own. You can also get small hand pump powered water filters.

Minwaabi
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Iodine tablets. Water is heavy and you wouldn't be able to store enough for long term use in a simple kit. Iodine tablets are great for purifying water though so you can make your own. You can also get small hand pump powered water filters.

Great point. Lack of water will generally kill you before you should even start to worry about the other stuff. However, you need to know your water supply. Iodine does a great job of killing bacteria and most protazoa (little nasties). Along with Chlorine and boiling its also the only solid way to destroy viruses. However, here in Michigan we have really bad problems with helminthes in some areas. Iodine just stains them and does not kill them at all. You have to use filters to get rid of those things. Generally speaking the only way water is safe in non-polluted areas is to run it through a filter and then purify it (CL or I) or to boil it for the correct period of time (5min I think).

Minwaabi
02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Oops... for those who care but don't know, Helminthes are tapeworm eggs.

taiarain
02-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I have candles, waterproof matches, tuna pouches, sanitary needs, OTC meds, limited supplies of Rx meds, a fleece blanket, crank radio/flashlight, first aid supplies, batteries and some other supplies. I do need to check my supplies and update all the food though. I haven't done that in a while.

arppt01
02-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Few medicines which will be a part of my first-aid box, matches, high power flashlights and some kind of transmiter will be very handy to have.

taiarain
02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
That reminds me, I also need to update the kids' clothing. They grow so fast that I generally put clothes in at least a size larger than they currently need.

Minwaabi
02-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I have candles, waterproof matches, tuna pouches, sanitary needs, OTC meds, limited supplies of Rx meds, a fleece blanket, crank radio/flashlight, first aid supplies, batteries and some other supplies. I do need to check my supplies and update all the food though. I haven't done that in a while.

Don't forget to update those meds. Most have an expiration date just like food does and some are less forgiving than food. I know I for one am bad about keeping things up to date. I just don't use my Asthma inhaler that often I forget about it.

arppt01
02-15-2007, 04:19 AM
It is really very important to update these meds. The problem is that I seldom check them. It happens sometime that they expire and I have to rush to the stores at the last moment.

taiarain
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
The meds I'm actually very good about updating. We've got a few chronic conditions in the house (serious allergies, asthma & diabetes) and I try to ensure we have at least a week's worth of current meds in there at all times.

Fortunately, my doc is good about giving samples, too.

wishbone
03-07-2007, 09:25 AM
All of the items I've seen listed so far are surely nice to have and some are essential, however, most would be found in a bugout bag. A survival kit is geared more tward immediate needs to survive. These would include shelter, fire, water and food. Such things as signaling, first aid and navigation would also be included. To be prepared, I like to have available, at least two ways to satisfy those needs, such as matches and a lighter for fire. I also want to know at least one field expedient way of making fire, such as bow and drill. There are many ways to cover each need and finding what works for you and field testing is where the fun comes in.

wishbone

Wolf Creek
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
One thing I like also carry is a good set of rain gear. You can't hike threw brush in a trash bag or some thin plastic. The breathable kind still pretty expensive but there's alot of good stuff out there. Oh and maybe hat I like full brim but a baseball cap is better than nothing keeping the sun off your head and face.

mistylady
04-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Vitamins are good to keep also. Just keep them rotated. A poncho, rope, tinder for a fire, personal papers and something to keep the kids happy like small games or books. Bored kids are not fun to be around!

FVR
05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Bleach works good for purifying water, I think it's two drops from an eye dropper for a liter of water.

Duct tape.

Super glue. I carry it in my pack when I'm heading into the woods. Works great on cuts in areas that won't take a bandaid. Little super glue, little piece of t shirt, wrap with duct tape and on your way.

Works great if you have to sew up a meat cut on your dog also. It will hold the cut together while you stich, now the dog bite is up to you.

I work down off Tara blvd in Atlanta where there are alot of urban outdoorsman and woman. If it's raining really hard I will give them a heavy duty trashbag, and as alway a little duct tape.

sam30248
05-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a small 1st aid kit a 5 candles , a good pocket knife , a 10ft rope and 2 emergency blanket , 2 emergency ponchos and a 3 day starter kit, it has 6 water pouches, 2400 cal food bar, whistle . And a small suply of meds. A hatchet, fire starter, matches, snares ,compass , map. These are just a few items in my bug-out bag

marberry
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
wheneva i go out i bring everything lol , with it can can survive on whats in the kit for a month (if i have a water supply) sry bout how long it is i dont expect you to read it all lol

A Outbound Banff Mummy sleeping bag Rated at -18 C (3LB's)

a two person hvy duty dome tent

speacial Edition Leatherman Wave (titanium tools)

Leatherman micra (size of a school eraser) (awsome first aid tool)

One of the earlier nameless leathermans

1 copy of 'Camping & Wilderness survival' by Paul Tawrell , the best wilderness survival book i have ever read i highly recomend it

Full Metal Welder's boots with extrme traction (THE BEST footware i have ever tried)

1 set of colemen rain cloths (jacket and pants)

a 4lb hatchet

a machete

500 wood strike anywhere matches

60 feet of rope (3 braided 550x7's) (breaks at 1200 lbs)

Zippo lighter with fluid refills

1 emergency fanny pack contains
- 2 thick rain poncho's
- 6x6 ft heat wrap
- 10 feet hevy duty cord
- 2 whistles
- 2 compasses
- tweezers

1 military issue folding shovel

1 high quality mapping compass

map pack with topographical maps of Manitoba , North Dakota , Minnesota, Saskatuan, and west Ontario

1 emergency 20 hour candle

1 first aid kit contains :
- 10 foot water proof adhesive tape roll
- various antibiotics including :
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Methylparaben
- Ammonia pads
- isopropyl alcohol
- Iodophor pvp ointment
- iodine
- titratable
(most of these are only legally attainable - from a hospital or certified doctor)
- heavy duty bandages
- cold pack
- syringe
- anticeptics
- painkillers
- eye pad

flagging tape

waterproof match case with flint

5 rolls of snare wire

60 foot roll of strong 1/3 cm thick cord

60 foot roll of strong twine

6 footlong steel stakes

5 feet of strong fabric elastic 1cm thick (used as shock cord)

1 slingshot

250 emergency slingshot bb's

1 12x12 foot heavy duty tarp

waterproof back pack bag

1 buck folding knife

1 gerber folding knife

1 set of binoculars

1 high velocity pellet rifle (more powerfull then a .22)

500 hunting pellets for rifle

1 hand fishing set.

3 heavy duty garbage bags

1 large roll heavy duty ducktape

fingerless gloves

high quality authentic leather 'cowboy' style hat (wide brim great for when its raining)

2 sets of glasses and 1 set of contact lenses

1 set of heavy duty cloths

1 set of light summer cloths

Swimming trunks (wet suit if im planning on boating)

1 tube of superglue ( the rly rly rly powerfull kind )

2 sharpening stones

1 bottle of my emergency fire starter ( alot like napalm )

1 large fishing net (i know im screwed if im caught using it)

1 large bug net

insect repellant

one poison (stricknine, nicotine, arsenic,) dart in a metal box (incase i need to kill a grizzly

web belts in case i need to store things closer at hand

flaregun w/ 3 flares

flashlight (the dyno something kind , you squeze it and it lights up)

if im going in a boat i have another set that stays on the boat (2 heavy to carry)

1lb of jerky

enough pemmican to survive a month

water purification system

3 litres of fresh , (chemicals put in to make it more healthy) water

wool socks

tin cup

1 bottle of kerosene (incase i need lotsa flame from my lighter)er)

Danoon
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
For the kids... a deck of cards and some small games, something to keep them occupied. There is nothing worse in a shtf situation than having to deal with bored kids along with everything else.

marberry
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
kids like gameboys , buy one of the earlier versions they use batteries ,then all you have 2 do is get a solar batery charger and you have entertainment 4eva lolz

Anthony W. Green
06-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I usually carry a rucksack with a GI first-aid kit, poncho, pocket chainsaw, one quart water bottle (Nalagene?),OTC meds, flashlight, food pack of cheese and ration bars, a Gerber multi tool, pencil and paper, canteen cup, and TANG orange drink. I need to get some snares to put in it.

FVR
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Bag2.jpg

Left to right;

Tin cup for boiling water.

T bags and 4 beef buillon.

Wire saw.

Guitar string.

Three steel trade points wrapped in buckskin with imm. sinew.

Good quantity of strong twine.

Magnifying glass.

Steel flint knife, super sharp and the back is used as a striker. Blade is also very shiny for use as a signal flasher.

A large flint striker.

Altoid can with tiny hole in top for making charcloth. Inside is a good qty of fresh charcloth, two pieces of buckskin, and a good size piece of flint.

A large piece of flint that I've knapped into a slightly larger than a palm tool. Will be used for making fires, skinning hogs, or any other misc. duties.

The deer tine on the flap can also be used for knapping points.

I also carry a sheath knife, a little bottle of superglue, and either a mil. canteen or this bota bottle that I've had forever.

Strider
07-21-2007, 02:47 PM
OK, for a survival kit, you won't want to be dragging around a big pack full or stuff. I have devised a simple kit that weighs almost nothing... actually about 2 pounds. Here it is: tube tent, strike anywhere matches in waterproof container, small solar flashlight, firestarters, signal mirror, metal whistle, MPI emergency space bag, parachute cord, about 50 feet, aluminum foil- at least 36 by 36 inches, insect repellent, water purification tablets, and a small first aid kit. For the first aid kit, I include a small amount of sterile dressing, Ace wrap, band aids of different types, butterfly bandages for wound closure, adhesive tape AND/OR duct tape, polysporin ointment or something similar, and a set or tweezers, safety pins, and needles. Of course, you should probably take a few courses with the Red Cross for First Aid... They are really good... I'm gonna be a life guard and have already started their training program... well, that's that... hope it helps.

Strider
07-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Tin cup for boiling water.

I'd just like to add that the tin cup might should have a plastic rim or something because if you try to drink (or hold) out of a metal cup with hot water in it you will get burned... i learned that a while back... :cool:

Strider
07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
jus curious as to how much all that weighs, marcraft. I'm not saying it's bad, you have a really really really good list there...

Sarge47
07-21-2007, 04:06 PM
OK, for a survival kit, you won't want to be dragging around a big pack full or stuff. I have devised a simple kit that weighs almost nothing... actually about 2 pounds. Here it is: tube tent, strike anywhere matches in waterproof container, small solar flashlight, firestarters, signal mirror, metal whistle, MPI emergency space bag, parachute cord, about 50 feet, aluminum foil- at least 36 by 36 inches, insect repellent, water purification tablets, and a small first aid kit. For the first aid kit, I include a small amount of sterile dressing, Ace wrap, band aids of different types, butterfly bandages for wound closure, adhesive tape AND/OR duct tape, polysporin ointment or something similar, and a set or tweezers, safety pins, and needles. Of course, you should probably take a few courses with the Red Cross for First Aid... They are really good... I'm gonna be a life guard and have already started their training program... well, that's that... hope it helps.

Speak for yourself on the size of the survival kit. I have various sizes all the way up to a lg. Alice pack depending on where I'm placing it. And for the record, Many experts have come to the same conclusion, tube tents are a poor choice. I prefer either a home-made shelter from Visqueen or a good tarp, if not a good quality bivy sack. I've also had both the 1st aid course and the CPR courses offered by the Red Cross. In my opinion, for the best book on survival kits, John D. McCann's book; "Build The Perfect Survival Kit" is right up there with "The Two Kilogram Survival Kit" by Mors Kochanski!

FVR
07-21-2007, 07:43 PM
We all take what we are comfortable with.

trax
07-23-2007, 11:26 AM
It's kind of surprising the differences in what people consider a "survival kit" to begin with. Here's a couple of considerations:

1. Weight, if a person needs the kit, then they shouldn't be moving around (they're lost or injured or both), it's getting to the situation where you suddenly need the kit that makes the weight matter. A heavier kit is a better bet boating/canoeing than hiking.

2. The situation you're in. Chances are the more familiar you are with your environment, the less "survival" gear you'll require. Cultures who live in nature are usually quite adept at living with nature. Learn from them. It's like that other posting with the story about the guide in the Amazon, "you're not lost, you're right here" to the guide, they're right at home because he's comfortable in the environment. If you're a person who's spent your entire life in an urban environment and decided to take on some extensive wilderness trek, well first off...good! but secondly, familiarize yourself with what challenges that environment will throw at you and what you'll need to deal with them. (Even water that's a little bad can equal diarrhea which leads to dehydration very quickly. The individual begins to feel dehydrated and drinks more water!) That's just one for instance, we could probably go on ad nauseum, but it's essential for a person to know their terrain and environment before they leave home, then the survival kit will be properly packed. Once you're out there, it's too late. Another good rule of thumb...weight factor notwithstanding....is that it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Just a couple of thoughts :)

lastboyscout
06-10-2008, 03:39 AM
It's kind of surprising the differences in what people consider a "survival kit" to begin with. Here's a couple of considerations:

1. Weight, if a person needs the kit, then they shouldn't be moving around (they're lost or injured or both), it's getting to the situation where you suddenly need the kit that makes the weight matter. A heavier kit is a better bet boating/canoeing than hiking.

2. The situation you're in. Chances are the more familiar you are with your environment, the less "survival" gear you'll require. Cultures who live in nature are usually quite adept at living with nature. Learn from them. It's like that other posting with the story about the guide in the Amazon, "you're not lost, you're right here" to the guide, they're right at home because he's comfortable in the environment. If you're a person who's spent your entire life in an urban environment and decided to take on some extensive wilderness trek, well first off...good! but secondly, familiarize yourself with what challenges that environment will throw at you and what you'll need to deal with them. (Even water that's a little bad can equal diarrhea which leads to dehydration very quickly. The individual begins to feel dehydrated and drinks more water!) That's just one for instance, we could probably go on ad nauseum, but it's essential for a person to know their terrain and environment before they leave home, then the survival kit will be properly packed. Once you're out there, it's too late. Another good rule of thumb...weight factor notwithstanding....is that it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Just a couple of thoughts :)

Great thought their TRAX. Here is my 4 cents (inflation)

I live and work in earthquake country and my thoughts are a little different. I like your lists but I carry a siphon hose to obtain gas if needed. The type that uses the hand pump you can buy at Wally world in the auto department about 6 bucks I think.

I am more concerned with people taking what I have then bears in this scenario.
We had power outages a few years ago and some people were very bothersome as they could not get their alcohol and tobacco fix. Most of the stores closed as they had no power and no phones in many places. All the chain stores closed as the computer cash registers did not work. The small mom and pops cleaned up but some were robbed.

I carry way to much stuff according to my wife and friends. Guess who they will be looking to when the defecate hits the rotary oscillator.

We (the wife and I) flew into Honolulu the day of the earthquake in 2006. She will never complain about me taking all the extra stuff anymore. The entire state was without power for about 20 hours. Seems like a short time when you are at home but when you are in a hotel with no power and no water it is a little different. WE found one store that was open with a 2 hour wait to get in. They were using a lantern and a calculator to write things up. The clerks had to take you around with a flashlight to get your stuff. I had a Fenix P1D and a Sure fire L4. My wife took my Surefire E1E to use.

We ate on the beach. It was deserted as nobody had flashlights to go down their as it was a tourist area. We ate well after taking the goodies back to the room and then down to the beach. Yes the elevators worked on emergency power but still no lights or water. We bought $140 worth of groceries. Most of them non perishable and some that were to eat right away.

We still had a good time.

She never gave back the Surefire E1E and still carries it every day.

dragonjimm
06-13-2008, 04:24 AM
might i suggest chem lights, especially for kids. instant light no batteries and no heat so they can go into a tent or sleeping bag. i keep several around for the kids when the power goes off. and keep one in my personal kit as well.