PDA

View Full Version : rough as a cob barrel stove

randyt
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I needed a cheap wood stove for my pole barn. So I took one of those 55 gallon drums that I had scrounged up and made a cheap stove, emphasis on cheap.

The top was cut off a couple inches down and then the barrel was cutoff below the second rib. The top piece was slid in to the barrel, after a few adjustments with a hammer and fastened in place with a few large self tapping screws.

for legs I took a couple pieces of bed rail and made a couple X frames, these were double bolted to the barrel. In hindsight I should have made a couple H frames. The H's may have been a little sturdier.

for a door and opening I framed the opening with bed rail to stiffen the opening. Old hinges and a piece of steel made the door. A chunk of bed rail and a spring for the handle made the latch.

For a stove pipe opening I cut a 5 inch hole in the top and with a hammer beat a flange up to accept 6 inch stove pipe.

I need to work on the draft control and maybe give it a splash of hi temp paint. There's also a class A chimney scheduled to go through the roof but I'm waiting for a chance to make a flashing for it.

pay no mind to the pan of oil on the floor, it gets moved when the stove is in use. Also before I get to carried away I'll be installing some type of reduced clearance shroud around the back and side. Most likely sheet metal spaced off the wall 1 inch.

here's a couple photos

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/001-7.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/009-4.jpg

crashdive123
04-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Well done.

woodsman86
04-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Great looking setup.

welderguy
04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Good job. Looks like its seen some use.

randyt
04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
thanks for the comments. I did pop a stove pipe through the window and fire it up to check it out. It'll work fine until something more refined comes along.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Randy, At my old hunting club we installed a kerosene drip pipe in the top of the drum....worked very well!

Justin Case
04-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I'll bet that sucker gets HOT ! :)

kyratshooter
04-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I put a layer of brick covered in sand in the bottom of mine. Makes them last longer.

your_comforting_company
04-16-2011, 11:28 AM
thanks for the comments. I did pop a stove pipe through the window and fire it up to check it out. It'll work fine until something more refined comes along.

more refined.. hrmph.. Looks like a fine fireplace to me!!

Sourdough
04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks Good......

randyt
04-16-2011, 12:42 PM
thanks for the comments, the best thing about this stove is it cost almost nothing, a handful of bolts and screws. everything else was scrounged. A splash of paint or at least stove black would make it look a little nicer.

I've been considering putting a few fire brick in the bottom but I thought that if I left a generous layer of ash that would protect the barrel too.

I thought about a dripper for old motor oil, I just can't bring myself to buy kerosene.

Winter
04-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Looks good to me.

I also see a hand powered blower forge.

randyt
04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
That's a little forge I made from a old air tank. I used a hand blower for the air supply and made a refractory from fire clay, pearlite, and sand blasting sand. for a tweer I used a piece of pipe with slots cut in the top with a metabo slicer. I need to drill some holes through the slots, the slots plug up easily. I have three forges, this little one, a double burner gas forge and a forge my granddad made in the late thirties.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/034.jpg

crashdive123
04-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I love that forge. Perfect size for knife making.

randyt
04-17-2011, 08:48 AM
it was built with knife making in mind. It works good, I use charcoal for fuel.

Nutman
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Looks like it will get the job done nice setup