PDA

View Full Version : Recipe & Wild Food Idea

Chris
01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
What if I coded a system where you could do the following:

1. Post wild food items, pictures, locations, and comments. If someone already posted one you could add your own picture location comments to it.

2. Post recipes with pictures and comments, or add pictures and comments to recipes that others have posted.

Would people use it? Go out into the woods and take pictures of wild foods, and all that?

nell67
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Chris,I think that is a great idea,yea,I think people would use it.What I would like to see,is pictures people have taken of plants in thier various stages of growth as the seasons progress,I know wareagle has been studying them this way,and I had never considered doing it until he mentioned it,and I have not found much material covering that particular aspect of identification.

wareagle69
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM
i've already got lots of pics just trying to cram them in my computer is the trick. my wife can't beleive how many plants and shroom pics i've got with many more to come. i've got the hp photosmart 2575 all in one printer copier and scanner now i've got to figure it out.

nell67
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
good luck,wareagle,I cant really help you much there.But I .am really interested in the progress you have made with the plants and plan on doing the same this year.

Chris
01-27-2008, 01:54 PM
That is a good idea, how would you suggest I divide the plant pictures up.

Labels as early, mid, late, or unknown, or something more complex?

Also, ideally we'll end up with dozens of pictures of each plant, so hopefully each stage is adequately represented, but that all depends on participation. How many people will take their camera into the woods with them?

nell67
01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Hmm, not sure on how you would do that,may do an alphabetical listing and the poster/s could post the pictures through the seasons all together,so members would not have to search through tons of posts to find different stages of each plant.The poster would simply add what time of the year the picture was taken as a caption with the picture.

And I dont think very many of us are afraid to take their cameras out into the woods:D.

RBB
01-27-2008, 04:34 PM
i've already got lots of pics just trying to cram them in my computer is the trick. my wife can't beleive how many plants and shroom pics i've got with many more to come. i've got the hp photosmart 2575 all in one printer copier and scanner now i've got to figure it out.

Love to see your photos.

wareagle69
01-27-2008, 05:51 PM
alphabetical would be good or by color i am trying to get all four seasons pics of plants on my property may take a few years.

wareagle69
01-27-2008, 06:37 PM
been looking for the adapter all afternoon long when we moved we packed it somewhere(obviously) note to self wife hates sarcasm.

Beo
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I want pics WE!!!!

nell67
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
ummm,Beo,its pics of plants:D

Beo
01-28-2008, 12:21 PM
So, I need I help suc at plant I.D.

nell67
01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
just teasing you dude:D Wareagle has a very good idea with the plants,thats why I mentioned him.

Beo
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Could you imagine carrying a photo portfolio of all the north american plants around on you! :D

nell67
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
ouch,me achin' back:D

trax
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
How about setting it up so it's seasona? Winter edibles, spring, summer and fall? Just a thought

nell67
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Thats a good idea too.

Rick
01-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Chris - A common classification for manuals is:

Flowering Plants (herbaceous)
Woody Plants (trees, shrubs, vines)
Miscellaneous (grasslike, ferns, seaweeds, lichens, mushrooms)

Flowering plants sub-divided according to flower color
Woody plants sub-divided by leaf type (alternate simple, needlelike, etc.)

It would be good to segregate out the poisonous plants into its own section.

Alphabetical by scientific name is difficult because few know the names. Common names change geographically. So something common and descriptive is generally best. Thats why the general classification above is used so often.

I don't care how you do it. I just think it's a great idea.

Beo
01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
or just pick them and put them in a scrapbook called scrap book of wild plants that way you have a dried up look at them.