PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to the Pack.

CTracker
01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
I liked this Title, thanks Sam
_________

Greetings All,

I joined about a week ago, and thought it prudent to introduce myself. I live in the Tampa Bay Area (Florida). Yes, I'm a transplant. :) Although I wasn't born in Virginia, I did do much of my growing up there on a medium size farm near Appomattox. I suddenly had a 500 acre wilderness area as my personnel playground. This is primarily where I learned to hunt (mostly small game here/there).

I found and old scrap of canvas in one of the barns, grabbed it and my trusty 20 ga. and told my mother I was gone 'huntin and would be back when I had supper. Dad worked out of state so it was primarily my Mom along with us 5 'kids' (2 brothers & 2 sisters). Depending on the work load I sometimes spent days trying to provide a meal. You can't imagine how hard it was to bribe my little sisters into doing my chores. I dreaded getting up at 4AM just to go milk the cows and 'slop' the hogs. You try to convince a 12 & 13 year old girl that this was actually fun.

If one of my buddies called, my Mom would typically say 'he's out back somewhere, I'll have him call you back.' "Out back somewhere" meant I was no where to be found but was probably in the 'woods.'

The 20 ga. left way to many pellets in the rabbit & squirrels. Changed to a small Marlin Carbine (22) and would solely depend on 'head shots.' This too got old. I went to KMart (No Wally Worlds then) and opted for a slingshot. So I'd jump off the school bus, grab my "Tarp" and S-Shot and off to 'Wilderness' I went, (i missed my Prom 'cause I was pre-occopied' with important stuff). ;)

Needless to say, the marriage to my 'high school sweetheart didn't last so I move to East Texas (outside Houston). God made this area for those that needed more than a mere few hundreds acres. This in where I realized that 'white tail,' Javelin and the 12 foot Diamond Back's were actually real. I loved that State (Tejas) but eventually moved back to Florida cause I missed Scuba Diving on the corral reefs (FL Keys) and in the Springs/Caves that dotted the State. The 'uxor' [#2] never appreciated the fact that I turned off the lights at 100 ft + while in a cave. I had gotten her 'certified' but needed to know if I could depend on her in an emergency. Turns out that I couldn't (and Yes, you CAN hear voices when under water) as she called me everything but a 'white man' (no offence to anyone indented).

This is why I am here. I can do better than some in a survival situation, but not better than others. I can make fire, provide meals and water to drink and sleep comfortably. Many of you guys (& gals) can do it faster, better and with more confidence. This is why I am here, to learn from those that can honestly say 'been there, done that.' For what ever reason, they survived. If I can only absorb a portion of the wisdom found in these threads then I'm better than I was yesterday but hopefully not as good as I'll be tomorrow.

FYI: I'm probably older than most here, my high school years spanned the 60's (graduated from Appomattox High School in 1970). I've never had the Honor and Privledge to have served in our Armed Forces. I did loose many friends and even teachers to 'Nam and I pray for them nightly. If it wasn't for these people, I doubt I could have played in my "wilderness."

If I had one thing I was able to change I wish I had served my Country (in any capicity). You guys/gals are truly my "Heros" and I Salute You. Me and my slingshot, altho I do like my 30-06 for the larger varments. ;)

I'll quit now. :D

corndog-44
01-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Welcome to the Wilderness Survival Forums. Hope you enjoy it here.

Smok
01-27-2008, 05:18 AM
Welcome to the pack CTracker

nell67
01-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Welcome to the froum CT!

Sam
01-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi CT, come on in. I'm sure someone has coffee goin' ;)

Tony uk
01-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Hello and welcome Ctracker :D

WildGoth
01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
welcome ctracker

crashdive123
01-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Sarge47
01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the Wolf-Pack, sounds like our age and background are similar in some respects.

Rick
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Welcome home. I was located out of Tampa for a couple of years. I loved the area but you can keep the humidity! Our office was up at Temple Terrace. If you haven't been to the Manatee Recovery sanctuary at Homossasa you gotta go. It's just way cool. Love Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area! And no, you aren't older than some of us.:D

nell67
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
"And no, you aren't older than some of us"

LOL what are you 53? 54?, Rick oh and a birthday coming up soon:p:D

Rick
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Yes. 53 now will be 54 on my birthday. That's almost older than dirt, though.:D

And thanks for remembering. Garsh, I'm blushin'.:p

nell67
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes. 53 now will be 54 on my birthday. That's almost older than dirt, though.:D

And thanks for remembering. Garsh, I'm blushin'.:p

LOL dont blush,yours is pretty close to mine

Beo
01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Welcome Aboard

trax
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
hi CTracker, welcome aboard

Beo
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
You should see if you live near Proud American and maybe you could teach him a thing or two.

CTracker
01-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the welcomes :)

Last Mohican
01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
This is why I am here. I can do better than some in a survival situation, but not better than others. I can make fire, provide meals and water to drink and sleep comfortably. Many of you guys (& gals) can do it faster, better and with more confidence. This is why I am here, to learn from those that can honestly say 'been there, done that.' For what ever reason, they survived. If I can only absorb a portion of the wisdom found in these threads then I'm better than I was yesterday but hopefully not as good as I'll be tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like that. Humility. It is a wonderful attribute to have.

A very warm welcome.

BTW, I can appreciate the cow milking. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt to prove it.

Assassin Pilot
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey, welcome to the wolfpack.