PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to ask this..

tuxdad
04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
So be patient with me...lol

I'm curious about salting meats for preserving, but have always wondered abut this..

After you've got your meat salted and you shake off the excess.. Can you re-use that leftover salt on other meats, or should you get rid of it ?? This is something that's been bugging me since I've looking into this subject...

Thanks in advance for you help ..

Tux

Winnie
04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I do not have the answer, but you can ask a question here http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html and get a definitive answer.

crashdive123
04-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I don't have a definitive answer, but I remember my Grandfather teaching us how to preserve fish and meat with salt (both dry and in a brine). The salt would sit on the fish or meat for several weeks, absorbing the moisture from it. Not sure if that salt that has been sucking the moisture out of whatever was being preserved can be used or not, but I wouldn't. He was a retired fishing boat Captain (three masted schooners with no power other than the sails) and knew all of the current Captains in the village. He'd take us out often, and once the fish were cleaned, we used shovels to cover them in salt.