PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of pans...

1stimestar
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
What type do you use. I saw the one in the other post with the handle cut off and thought that was a good idea that I never thought of. Here are the two different kinds that I use. As a back packer I weight things by the oz most of the time so cast iron wont work (unless I'm camping out of the car).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/1stimestar/cooking-1.jpg
This one has the handle that swings over and locks the top down when not in use. I like it because of the locking top and can store other things inside but it is kind of a hassle to loosen and tighten the wing nuts when your fingers are cold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/1stimestar/Alaska%20Living%20Denali%20Trip/87505d62.jpg
This one has the wing handles that fold back around and hugs the pan when not in use. I like it because it needs no fiddling with but has no way to secure the lid when not in use.

This is just to show the scenary. The wide braided river beds are pretty common here. We were hiking up to the head of this one which was a glacier.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/1stimestar/05%20July%201%20Denali%20Backcountry/IMG00020.jpg

Rick
04-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I had never heated a second item on top of the first like that. Don't know why. I just never thought of it. I'm an MRE/Apak kind of guy these days but when I do carry pots I generally go with the G.I. Mountain Cook set. I have a set of Primus pots but the Mountain Cook set is cheap, rugged and works really well.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/mountain-cook-kit-us-gi-p-1340.html

hunter63
04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I have a lot of different cooking gear but favor a 10" cast iron pan.and canteen cup, yeah, I know heavy.
I really like your set up, and the scenery.
Thanks.

I'm also liking that mountain kit, thanks for the link, Rick.

crashdive123
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Nice set-up. The view from your kitchen is spectacular.

1stimestar
04-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I had never heated a second item on top of the first like that. Don't know why. I just never thought of it. I'm an MRE/Apak kind of guy these days but when I do carry pots I generally go with the G.I. Mountain Cook set. I have a set of Primus pots but the Mountain Cook set is cheap, rugged and works really well.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/mountain-cook-kit-us-gi-p-1340.html

I was just using fuel cubes that trip so the can of meat on top wouldn't have gotten hot, but it was more just warming it up so as not to cool down my meal too much when added. For backpacking I normally use an Esbit pocket stove. http://www.rei.com/product/653343 People tell me that MREs are better then they used to be but I just can't bring myself to buy any. I do occassionally use Mountain House.

1stimestar
04-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Oh Rick, I think that is the set I have.

pete lynch
04-03-2011, 04:44 AM
I have a Ledmark cookset but mostly I'm a Mountain House/MRE guy. For boiling water I have one of those esbit canteen stoves plus a swiss volcano stove.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___66281

roar-k
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I have quite a few different pans from the 1 Egg wonder to a home made pot to a coleman cookset.

rwc1969
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
this is what I use. A full size aluminum pan with teflon coating, a lid, and a small percolator coffee pot. I have an enamel pot that goes with the lid, but only take that for week long trips with more than just myself usually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04Hfe-3-E4

I personally don't like the little camp sets as they really aren't big enough to cook a full meal. I like eating one big breakfast or lunch and then a good dinner later in the evening. I like cast iron for cornbread, but, the teflon pan will work and then I have bread for a day or two in one sitting, instead of making it every meal, saves on time, cleanup and fuel. Teflon cleans up with just a wipe in most cases, whereas cast iron, aluminum or SS can be a real pain to clean in the field, especially when cooking over an open fire where things like to burn onto the sides and such.

1stimestar
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
this is what I use. A full size aluminum pan with teflon coating, a lid, and a small percolator coffee pot. I have an enamel pot that goes with the lid, but only take that for week long trips with more than just myself usually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04Hfe-3-E4

I personally don't like the little camp sets as they really aren't big enough to cook a full meal. I like eating one big breakfast or lunch and then a good dinner later in the evening. I like cast iron for cornbread, but, the teflon pan will work and then I have bread for a day or two in one sitting, instead of making it every meal, saves on time, cleanup and fuel. Teflon cleans up with just a wipe in most cases, whereas cast iron, aluminum or SS can be a real pain to clean in the field, especially when cooking over an open fire where things like to burn onto the sides and such.

I mostly use mine to heat water as most of my meals are dehydrated. I assume you aren't a backpacker. When back packing I normally use fuel cubes, white gas, or propane so don't have the soot problem of burning over a campfire. Lots of times there is no wood where I am so I don't rely on campfires unless I am actually camping.

If you coat the bottom of your pans with dish soap, it's easier to wash the soot off the bottoms.

rwc1969
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the tip, and ya, I don't really consider myself a backpacker per se. if i'm going for an extended period it's usually staying put in one or three spots, a camp. I use my lil billy can/ coffee pot for dayhikes and stuff, but, the profile and weight of the full size pan will fit in my day pack, and it doesn't restrict me from carrying other things. The way I pack it, it actually provides back support to give it some stiffness and keep other objects from gouging me.

I used to not take any pan and would do all that cooking on a stick or next to the fire on a piece of wood or rock, but a pan is much easier and gives a more even cook compared to a rock. Plus, I don't like the bits of sand and crap that gets in my food when cooking like that.

hunter63
04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
................If you coat the bottom of your pans with dish soap, it's easier to wash the soot off the bottoms.
Good tip works well, for wood fires as well a gas soot.
Thanks for reminding us.

1stimestar
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the tip, and ya, I don't really consider myself a backpacker per se. if i'm going for an extended period it's usually staying put in one or three spots, a camp. I use my lil billy can/ coffee pot for dayhikes and stuff, but, the profile and weight of the full size pan will fit in my day pack, and it doesn't restrict me from carrying other things. The way I pack it, it actually provides back support to give it some stiffness and keep other objects from gouging me.

I used to not take any pan and would do all that cooking on a stick or next to the fire on a piece of wood or rock, but a pan is much easier and gives a more even cook compared to a rock. Plus, I don't like the bits of sand and crap that gets in my food when cooking like that.

Haha I hear that!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I've posted it before, but am still happy with using the stainless stove eye covers for plates and skillets in the field when trying to keep the weight down. I have a pot too! (A must have) nice to have a flat surface for cutting and preparing and such. They even come in 2 convenient sizes! Try them cheap and effective!

Rick
04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I gave up on the metal plates a long time ago. Whether they are pie plates or something else if it's made of metal it can get pretty danged hot and hard to hold on to. One more reason I go with MRE type meals. Car camping is a whole different thing, though. Even outdoors persons can have an air of culture and discernment. We use Coleman melamine plates.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
They have to get HOT! Gees! Well ok, cold bacon is good on a mater samich, but it has to get hot first!

Rick
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
But it burns my itty pinkies. I can't very well eat if I have to keep changing hands all the while blowin' on the other.

1stimestar
04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
What is an eye cover? I don't bring plates while backpacking. And I cut and prepackage everything before hand (and normally freeze it if it's not dehydrated). If you mix up individual servings of dehydrated things and put each in a zip lock freezer bag then when you are ready to eat you just heat up your water, open the bag and put the bag down in your coffee cup/canteen cup and pour the hot water in it. That way you don't have to wash your cup out. You just rezip the plastic bag sealing the mess in and put it in your trash bag. I normally carry a gallon zip lock freezer bag for trash. The freezer bags are heavier plastic so work well. For breakfast I normally use the instant oatmeal the same way. Just put the envelope in my cup and tear off the top, add hot water. No cleaning.

When I am car camping I bring the cast iron and paper plates, blue speckled galvanized coffee pot, cups and silverwear.