PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on multiple packs

steelnwool
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't like having a bunch of "copies" of everything. Sometimes I go mountain biking on trails, sometimes I want to go bike camping, other times its snowshoeing, then there is hiking for a day, hiking over night or car camping with the fam.

Alrighty, so most of these things mean taking a different sized pack. Do you guys have strategies for dealing with this? Modular packs? "The essentials" that can/will get thrown into any bag as you go out the door?

etc.. discuss :)

hunter63
04-02-2011, 02:23 PM
A pack is not a pack IMHO, it's a system.

Starts with what you carry in your pockets and belt.
Next is jackets, coats, more pockets.
Add small day hike pack or hunting pack.

Add 3 day BOB, where ever is conveniently accessed.

Mission specific jacket, coat, pack, vests, fanny pack, dry bag for canoe/boat........ etc.

Then there is the week long grab and go bag with weeks worth of clothes, and toiletries.

Equip home/vehicles with additional support essentials, to be stored/carried along, pre-packed allow grab and go ease.

cetane
04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Having all kinds of different packs is like the food in your pantry. Would you say that 1 (one) food is good for every thing? Not a chance. I have 10 in various set ups. I got a large alice (cause every one was always crowing about how great they are :-((( NOT! ), a small day pack, different tac vests with small storage (hyd. bladders and such) on the back, EberleStock G4 Operator pack, ILBE RECON pack, ILBE RECON assault pack, ILBE pack standard, ILBE assault pack. Now you can use the ILBE main pack as the base large load pack and put the "Day pack" items in the ILBE assault pack cause it clips to the main pack to make a full existence load pack of every thing you need. More options the better!

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/cetane/40c61dbe.jpg
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/cetane/05c90fff.jpg
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx217/cetane/28f8010b.jpg
:tt2:

SARKY
04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I do everything in modules. It allows me to alter my pack for the different seasons and environments.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I have LBE that I have developed as a 4 season universal kit and use a pack board for my specialized loads that are mostly in MOLLE pouches that can be mixed and matched as needed and attached quickly. I'm getting to old and worn out to carry fully loaded packs any distance over rough terrain. Most my hiking is off trail for survival exercise since it would be to easy to be ambushed on trails. This also adds to the exploration aspect of the hike. I'm finding that each year I relegate more of my backpacking gear to boat, ATV and vehicle for tailgate camping so for all pratical survival purposes I am down to LBE and continue to refine it and my abilities to use just that gear. The pack board will be used mainly as part of my mobile base camp concept.

finallyME
04-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I have different packs for different purposes.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I have several paks each one specific to trip length, activity, or both http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/sh4d0wm4573ri7/009.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/sh4d0wm4573ri7/thkelty002.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/sh4d0wm4573ri7/013-1.jpg

Rick
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I really do like the modular approach. That's something I've picked up here and I'm trying to incorporate it as much as possible. I think Sarky and AS have it hands down for very different reasons. Sarky has the Cadillac of modular packs and AS has done an incredible job of building his own. My hats off to both of you. It doesn't matter what road you travel as long as you wind up at the same place and I think you guys have locked the modular concept in.

Hunter - I also have to give you some credit. Your statement above, "A pack is not a pack IMHO, it's a system," sums it up succinctly. I will remember that sentence.

rwc1969
04-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I like the USGI issue stuff, like the MOLLE 3 day assault pack, mainly for durability. All my kits are modular and I swap them in and out depending on what I'm doing. It's a fast change from a fanny pak or day pak to a week pack to a everything but the kitchen sink pack.

OhioGrizzLapp
04-08-2011, 04:09 AM
I only have two.......

My main pack for long outings is a ALICE Medium with frame and shelf. I only use this pack if I am out for weeks at a time. I keep it at around 25lbs total. The extra weight above the 14lb bag is all tools of different kinds.

Mostly however, I use a small shoulder bag that I keep at around 14 pounds total. I will change clothes to meet the intended trip. I will have my SRK, good compass and fire kit on my belt. Small PSK in my back pocket. In woods that allow it, I will have a .22/45 Mk II on my side. I will have a whistle, small knife and small fire kit around my neck on a paracord.

These two packs or bags gets me through 95% of what ever I am into.

Semper Paratus
04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I think of packs as toolboxes, bigger jobs need larger tools. I always have a knife, EOS survival kit (www.elementsofsurvival.com) and water bottle on my person wherever I go. Next size toolbox is a day pack, camel back, or lumbar pack for short day excursions, hikes, hunts and ski trips. These provide more room for food, navigational equipment, paracord, extra water, gun and extra clothing. If I am gone over night I have a larger weekend pack made by Arc'teyrx. This will handle larger loads and good for a weekend or a minimalist extended trip. Then I have a 5,000 cubic inch Gregory pack for 3 or more days. I also have a bag for my boat that is waterproof and carries items for survival and use on the boat. The largest of my gear boxes is a hardplastic lockbox that I can throw in my truck and live in the wild for and indefinite amount of time. I also use this for car camping, hunting or fishing expeditions. I think that any prepared outdoorsman has multiple packs and boxes. All the smaller items I listed are built upon by larger packs so the larger packs don't replace the smaller ones. The system builds upon itself depending on length of time in the wild, weather, and enviroment.

TangoFoxtrot
04-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a hardcore survival BOB at home and an urban/rural Go Bag in my vehicle.