PDA

View Full Version : Family Calibers

JerryCanMan
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
On the topic of weapons, I highly suggest if your whole family is going to be carrying, that you try and keep it to the same caliber. If your ever in a bug-out situation, you don't want to have to lug 3 different kinds of handgun ammo and 3 different kinds of rifle ammo. Bug-out bags get very heavy, very quickly that way.

I don't know how many of you already do this, but I just thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion.

Cheers

kyratshooter
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Good reason to stay home!

Don
03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
On the topic of weapons, I highly suggest if your whole family is going to be carrying, that you try and keep it to the same caliber. If your ever in a bug-out situation, you don't want to have to lug 3 different kinds of handgun ammo and 3 different kinds of rifle ammo. Bug-out bags get very heavy, very quickly that way.

I don't know how many of you already do this, but I just thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion.

Cheers

I've always liked the old cowboy idea of having a pistol and a rifle that shot the same cartridges.

Don

OhioGrizzLapp
03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
My GF and I both carry a Ruger 22/45 Mk II .22lr, she carries an AR-7 .22lr that has been smithed to work right in her pack. I also carry a .38 special S&W Mod 10 on my side as well as a .357/38spl lever action, both using the same .38spl rounds. My adoptive son carries a Vintage Daisy cowboy style peace maker BB Gun on his side and a vintage Daisy Spittin Image Model 94 Lever BB Gun as his rifle (he is only 6 :)

Alaskan Survivalist
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I do the opposite. It would be like like having a tool box with all 1/2 inch wrenches.

SARKY
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
As no one gun can do it all, you will need more than one caliber for survival purposes. However for defensive purposes not just the same caliber but same type of weapon is preferable so that magazine swaps are also possible.

Alaskan Survivalist
03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
As no one gun can do it all, you will need more than one caliber for survival purposes. However for defensive purposes not just the same caliber but same type of weapon is preferable so that magazine swaps are also possible.

There too I'd have a long range shooter in the mix.

klkak
03-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I've always liked the old cowboy idea of having a pistol and a rifle that shot the same cartridges.

Don

Thats why I have a Winchester M-94 AE SRC and a Smith and Wesson 4" 629 both in .44 magnum.

kyratshooter
03-31-2011, 12:34 AM
My first post, being a cynical respopnse and the hour now approaching midnight, I will restate my former statement and give a real answer.

I started a tradition in my family many years ago.

At age 10 each family member went to hunter safty school and got a .22 rifle.

At age 12 they got a 20 ga shotgun.

As a high school graduation present each got a 30-30 rifle.

21st birthday brought a .38/.357 pistol.

When the boys married, and their wives proved to be real winner material, pop sprang for a .38 spl for each of them. (they actually considered that a mark of true affection)

There is a 5 gallon bucket of 30-30 reloaded ammo in the garage, another of .38spl. They take what they need and bring back the empty brass. Bullet casting parties and reloading session attendence is mandatory, but usually done during bad weather with plenty of snacks involved. They also have access to the Mec SS reloader and pop's wide collection of assorted loading dies/bullet molds, load data and expertise (as if they could get by without me giving it).

Therefore, everyone in the family has a .22, 20ga, 30-30 and .38spl in addition to the other crap they have accumilated over the years.

After the boys went to the military they decided they needed m4 thingies and 9mm whatevers and stepped up to 12ga scatterguns but the theme has remained the same and they still carry their 38s and hunt with their 30-30s often. The youngest killed two deer in the span of ten minutes last fall, with his Marlin.

This has changed for the grandbabies. I have discovered the Rossi 3-packs. The grandbabies will get the .22/243/20ga set as they step up in age. By the time they reach high school graduation Marlins may not be around. We will have to wait and see about that. I still have 6 years, the oldest GC is 12.

hunter63
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Jury is still out on that one.
I'm a fan of redundent calibers, but at the same time I do believe in the proper tool for the job,.... pick the job.

As far a family goes, DW had a Ruger .22-10/22, Ruger .44 mag Carbine (early), and doesn't really use either one any longer.
DD (.243/20ga) and SIL(30-06/.12ga) are each their favorites for deer and turkey, as well as .38's side arms.

I have given each a traditional muzzloader as well, which I think is just as important to add to the mix.

glockcop
04-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Bullseye, Sarky. Might I go on to suggest a compact (not sub compact) Glock or Sig (both in 9mm) with extra full size frame mags. The 9mm suggestion goes with the idea that the ammo is easy to come by, cheaper than most, lighter in weight than most, lighter recoiling than most, and your weapon can hold alot of those suckers. The "compact'' recommendation goes along with the idea that they are a lil' bit easier/comfortable to carry and conceal than their full sized cousins and can do everything a full sized weapon can do except poke you in the ribs/hip and pull your pants down. And let's face it, no matter what some people may say, 9mm is a ''real'' defensive caliber with reliable capabilities.

Rick
04-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Can someone tell me the best survival knife?

randyt
04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
a mora!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!of course

Rick
04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Atta boy!!