PDA

View Full Version : Hunter education course

JerryCanMan
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Going to go hunting for the first time this year. Missed the Hunter education course by a couple weeks last year.... :bawling:
It's my understand that once you've taken the course you NEVER have to take it again correct?

Can't wait for this coming year.
Sorry guys, just felt like sharing!

Cheers,
JCM

hunter63
03-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Some states require a certain age is required.
Most states do require it at any age, I know several western states do.

We took the course with a friend and his boy, as we were all going to hunt in Colorado together.
The Wisconsin card was good enough for Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.

Good course, everyone "should" take it, I don't care how old you are, IMHO.

As for never having to take it again, don't know for sure, but when I bought my licence for Louisiana, the asked for and got my Wisconsin card and number.

Camp10
03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
In the states I hunt, my PA card has been fine and I took the class when I was 13. I've since taken it with both my boys and with my BIL. I agree with Hunter, it is a good course for all hunters of any age.

your_comforting_company
03-31-2011, 07:29 AM
In GA, you never have to take it again, and if you are so old, you don't have to take it at all. I think this should be changed, at least to reflect a firearm safety course, whether it's a "hunter safety" course or not. I believe that if you are going to handle a firearm, a class should be mandatory.
... Can you imagine the damage a 30/30 core-lok would do to a human head?

There are people I refuse to go hunting with anymore because they don't know (or at least don't follow) proper firearm safety.

I took my hunter course at the end of a deer season / beginning of turkey season some odd years ago. Whether you are 8 or 80, It's a good idea to take the class. Although my kids aren't old enough to be required to take it yet, they will all be taking it this year. Even my daughter who doesn't even like hunting, or bugs, or dirt...

kyratshooter
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Hunter safty course is a good family activity. I went through it with each of my kids, even though I did not have too.

With my oldest it was an enlightening experience. I did not realize how smart and how competitive he was until that course.

He made a 98 and I made a 99. He was 10 and I was 38. That was a good week.

I have been through it 4 times now. It is good training and a good refresher course.

rwc1969
03-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Here in MI, you must take it before 18, after that you don't need it, only have to take it once. I recommend it to everyone at any age, some might even use a refresher course, mainly for the gun safety parts.

hunter63
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Here in MI, you must take it before 18, after that you don't need it, only have to take it once. I recommend it to everyone at any age, some might even use a refresher course, mainly for the gun safety parts.

You still need it if you do any traveling to hunt other states.....doesn't matter what your age, they still require it.

LowKey
04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
You have to take it here to get tags. Trouble is they fill up too fast.

hunter63
04-01-2011, 07:32 PM
You have to take it here to get tags. Trouble is they fill up too fast.

Where is 'Here'?

Rick
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Check with your state's DNR. They can tell you what your requirement is and how ofter you have to take it if you have to repeat the test. Although it's not required, you can take the course online in Indiana.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/Indiana/index.html (http://www.hunter-ed.com/in/index.htm)

There is a one time fee of $19.50 and you don't pay until you pass the course.

I guess I should clarify that. Anyone born before 12/31/1986 does NOT have to take the test. If you were born after that date then you do. That's for Indiana.