PDA

View Full Version : coyotes

shiftyer1
03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
What kind of losses do ya'll experience due to coyotes? I have goats, and chickens and at nite I can hear them singing all nite all around me, but in the last 2 yrs have had no losses due to yodel dogs. It seems odd they haven't come to the buffet? Not that I want to lose critters but whats keeping them away?

OhioGrizzLapp
03-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Not sure what would be keeping them away unless you have pigs or loose dogs at night. We do not have Coyotes here in Ohio as far as I know or if we do, they are very small population.

Camp10
03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Easy food in their hunting ground is what is keeping them away. If you have dogs around, that will make them look other places before they head to your animals but if they get hungry enough, they will show up. I would suggest getting a trapping license (or finding a trapper looking for more woods to trap at) if you have enough land for that to be effective. One good trapper can keep the coyote population under control for a pretty large area.

DOGMAN
03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
We dont have too many 'yotes coming around. We have wolves and bears show up occassionaly though....I have quite the alarm however, and the sound of 48 dogs barking seems to scare off about everything!

Justin Case
03-29-2011, 07:36 PM
are your critters fenced ?

LowKey
03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
We have lots around here. Not too many reports of livestock attacks. Lots of missing cats and yap-yaps. There are far more than enough deer to keep quite a coyote population going especially in toward Boston where it's too house-dense to hunt deer. I watched two coyotes trailing a deer through my buddy's backyard within 15 miles of downtown Boston and have seen them bold as brass in a playground near where I work. We also have an open hunting season on coyotes that just ended. But there is that housing density thing...

tipacanoe
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
We have plenty in this area, even in town. Seems they have been seen around the Catholic Church which is in the middle of town. In Maine, the dept of inland fisheries and wild life, is going to have a fund set up to reimburse hunters for coyotes for their expenses for fuel, just to get the hunters to where the need is. The deer heard in the northern half of the state is way off due in part to the coyotes.

shiftyer1
03-30-2011, 01:20 AM
They are fenced now, except for the chickens. And I do have 1 black lab but from the amount of coyote yapping i'm positvie he'd be screwed. Would they really stay away due to 1 dog?
There is alot of game here so I guess maybe they just haven't got hungry enough?

Old GI
03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Don't have livestock right now, but wife saw two crossing the property about 20 feet from the house and barn chasing rabbits. See them every once in a while. Wife saw a pack of 8 or so about a year ago.

BH51
03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
There's been a decline in small game (Rabbit & Quail) past 10 yrs, Coyotes in part
of a general increase in predators and likely agricultural related poisoning and I lost
a new'born calf some years back to large predator..(could have been mischief dog
pack just as easily)...something snatched it's head off as the heifer was having
trouble droppin' it overnite...Also noted a small herd of whitetail deer would bed down
in my backyard within the security of the local farm fiests, security light and my shot
gun for a while there...I figured coyote was the reason...otherwise not a real problem.
I keep my chickens up...they can't get to them..........................................BH51 ...

rwc1969
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Considering how urban we are becoming locally, there are still plenty of coyotes around. I've not heard of any instances with them, but I do believe the lack of hunting and trapping these kinds of critters has lead to a big decline in rabbits, pheasants and such locally as well, and possibly a stray cat or two. I've yet to see any sign of a coyote or group of coyotes attacking deer, but they do a good job cleaning up the roadkill and misplaced shots on lost deer from hunters.

I'd like to see critters like yotes, foxes, skunks, coons, opossums, etc. kept in check, but not completely eliminated, as they do serve a good purpose in the wild of keeping populations in check and cleaning up, which helps control disease in the long run.