PDA

View Full Version : WOK It to me !

Justin Case
03-27-2011, 07:33 PM
I have been thinking about getting a WOK,,, I want to try and eat better things ,, fresh veggies, etc... Anybody use a WOK very often ? :chinese:

2dumb2kwit
03-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I've been stuck between a wok and a hawd pwace, many times.

Justin Case
03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I seen a Chinese cookbook,, "101 ways to wok your dog" ....

rebel
03-28-2011, 08:16 PM
We're on our third wok. One day, I'd like to get the cast iron wok made by Lodge. I like to make fresh green beans with sliced mushrooms.

canid
03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I rock a wok from time to time. they key to searing seems to keep the heat high enough to evaporate the water/juices off as fast as they come out of the food. everything else is just in what you like to eat.

gryffynklm
03-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I used to use one when I had a gas stove. I tried it on electric and have a hard time judging heat. The wok I have is slightly textured looks like rings around its circumference from the bottom to the edge. It makes it possible to bring food up the side to a cooler part of the wok with out the food sliding back down so you can cook other items at the bottom in higher temp. some woks are smooth and you can't use that technique. I enjoyed using it.

canid
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I think there's a reason so many asian ingredients are string shaped.

Old GI
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I've had one job that I could wok to and from work and loved it; but that was in Germany.

canid
03-28-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.8coupons.com/logo/big/wok_to_walk_333633313339_23_logo.gif

Satanta
04-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I was reading and the camaraderie is good here so signed up to post to this thread.

About three months ago I was shopping on Amazon specifically looking at Woks. I ordered a cast iron Mr BBQ wok and now use it for near all of my cooking from syir fry to simply deep frying potatoes or chicken and soups.

It is 16" diameter at the top and goes down to a flat bottom that rests on the small burner on our electric stove. [[we are getting a gas stove before long but one uses what one has. ;) ]

I discovered the lid of a large water-bath canner my wife has fits the wok perfectly and I store it in the oven between uses.

Not trying to sell anything-"I'm a photographer not a wok expert Jim!"

Buuuuut-I'm definitely happy with this thing. [[I do 99% of the cooking and use cast iron almost exclusively so this comes from a 'Ironman" kind of cook]

Now to go read some more since I found this looking for some info on smoking meats as bith myself and the wife prep for hard times tho I'm the paranoid one so prep for zombie hordes kind of times. :)

crashdive123
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
While you're out woking around, you could drop in the Introduction section and stir fry up an Intro. Thanks.

Rick
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
The nice thing about a wok is the food is ready in......wait for it.....ten minute, ten minute.

Justin Case
04-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The nice thing about a wok is the food is ready in......wait for it.....ten minute, ten minute.

hahaha,,,, lol

grrlscout
04-12-2011, 09:11 AM
I have one, but don't use it often. When making stirfies, as in most cooking, it's all about the prep. Everything has to be cut and ready to go. I probably spend 30 minutes getting all the ingredients ready, and 10 minutes cooking it.

Your veg should be cut so that the toughest stuff (celery, bok choy ribs, carrots, etc) is smaller OR you just put that stuff in first, to give it a head start, and then throw in the flimsy stuff.

What I usually do is sear the meat really fast, take it out and set it aside, throw in the veg til it's nearly done, then toss the meat back in until it's just done. Take it off the heat, and toss in the green onions.

Woks also make great popcorn poppers ;)