PDA

View Full Version : Rat Traps!

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes Rat traps.
I put at least two in my BOB.
There lite,cost around a buck a piece.They will kill Small game everything from birds to rabbits.
Now I have for years tried the snares and the % is very low at really catching something.
I guess this is why we don't see many videos on people really catching something in snare traps to often.
I'm not saying don't hone your skills at the snare method,just that I have found for the average person it takes little skill to set a Rat trap.
You can drill a hole in the corner of a Rat trap to steak it down or tie it to a tree.
The % of catching something in a Rat trap is very high.Case in point anyone that has ever had to use one to kill Rats!
I just ask that you try it your self.Say put out 15, 550 cord snares and two Rat traps and see what one catches something.
When your in a real survival scenario you want the odds in your favor as best as can be.
These can be a real life saver.
Dime

Nutman
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah rat traps serve a good purpose i have heard some say you can make booby traps with 12ga. shells

randyt
03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I've had decent success with snares and even deadfalls. I think it has more to do with experience. One of my earliest memories as a little kid is setting traps and my dad checking the pan tension. I know that's a leghold but I think years of trapping has given me insight on animal movements. I can't really explain it but I'll see a spot and make a successful set and really couldn't say why I thought that was a good spot. All in all though whatever works, works be it a rattrap or a snare.

Ssgt_DimeBag
03-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I've had decent success with snares and even deadfalls. I think it has more to do with experience. One of my earliest memories as a little kid is setting traps and my dad checking the pan tension. I know that's a leghold but I think years of trapping has given me insight on animal movements. I can't really explain it but I'll see a spot and make a successful set and really couldn't say why I thought that was a good spot. All in all though whatever works, works be it a rattrap or a snare.

O I agree with you it's something that takes a lot of time and practice.Yet not many even try they just throw some 550 cord in there bag and feel that at least they have a way to make some snares with out taken into account that its not just something you make an put it in front of the first rabbit hole or trail you come across.
I think when people do mention snares they should also state that it is not for the novice as the % would be very low.
I was more the dead fall or the box trap as I made a many of these as a child growing up.I also understand that a person can not pack 20 pounds of wood to make a box trap along with all your other gear.lol

randyt
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
rattraps are light weight and that in its self makes them very handy. also the rattraps can be reused. Wire snares are generally short lived, they can get twisted and gnarled up after a catch. When I was a kid I used braided picture hanging wire for snares. Recently I started to use s.s. trolling line, I prefer the trolling line.

It was a common practice for woodsrunners to carry a trap. It was most generally a foot hold. They would set this single trap every night after setting up camp and then check it in the morning. that one trap was part of their gear even if they were trappers and had many traps that one trap traveled with them.