PDA

View Full Version : Strange looking plants..

Justin Case
03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
My sister likes to feed the wild birds,,, now there are all kinds of weird looking plants growing out there ,, I assume" from the wild bird seed,,, i wonder if its edible ?

Rick
03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
It depends on what she's feeding them with. "Standard" bird seed is just a mix of wild grass seeds around here. Some has a bit of cracked corn, sunflower seeds and maybe some peanut culls tossed in.

Justin Case
03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Its just wild bird seed from the feed store,,, its a mix ,,, I guess it will say on the bag whts in it,,

canid
03-24-2011, 01:24 PM
millet is a pretty common component of wild bird mixes.

LowKey
03-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Hope she wasn't feeding thistle seed...

crashdive123
03-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Not sure that I'd be eating any plants directly below the bird feeder. Not only are the seeds scattered about, but so too are a rather high concentration of droppings. Things like Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis come to mind.

Justin Case
03-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Not sure that I'd be eating any plants directly below the bird feeder. Not only are the seeds scattered about, but so too are a rather high concentration of droppings. Things like Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis come to mind.
Thats for sure,, actually she threw a lot on the ground also for the Doves and Quail,,, maybe when the wind stops I;ll take a couple of pics ;)

canid
03-27-2011, 02:38 AM

it's always a concern, but so is your average vegetable garden and farm. birds spend a heck of a lot of time leaving stuff on mine, and i'm glad for it for various reason, between the extra soil nutrients and the predation of bugs which attack my seedlings.