PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Fish

Justin Case
03-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Whats your favorite fish and how do you prepare it ?

I LOVE Salmon,,,, either grilled on the BBQ or canned,, a friend gave me a couple of jars of home caught/canned Alaskan salmon on Christmas eve back when I was Homeless and quite frankly hungry,,, It was my Christmas dinner that year and I swear,, It was sooo good , ate it straight from the Jar , :drool:

EDIT* I had some smoked/dried Salmon "Jerky" once,, that was real good too !

Old GI
03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Peacock Bass cerviche from Lake Gatun with lobsters gigged at Fort San Lorenzo. Oh wait, I haven't lived in Pamana since 1980. Nevermind

RangerXanatos
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I love sushi. A lot of it I can't tell the difference between, but I go crazy for the wasabi with it.

Justin Case
03-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I love sushi. A lot of it I can't tell the difference between, but I go crazy for the wasabi with it.

I would have to be mighty hungry ! :)

RangerXanatos
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I would have to be mighty hungry ! :)

Not all of it is raw. There is some that's even deep fried.

Justin Case
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Not all of it is raw. There is some that's even deep fried.

Ohhh,, I thought it was all raw,, I like deep fried fish too :)

2dumb2kwit
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Striper with butter, garlic and dill, wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked on the grill, is pretty dang good.....but I think my favorite is fried catfish.

2dumb2kwit
03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
....or maybe.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdK3z3Uqiws

Rick
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
My favorite fish is Nemo.

http://www.samhawken.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/nemo.jpg

your_comforting_company
03-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm with the stripers too, and whites. I like them smoked on a rock on the grill or deep fried with french fries and onions. A little salt and pepper is all I need.
Bluegills ain't bad either, but they fall in second place to white bass. Y'all are making me want to go fishing!!

Alaskan Survivalist
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Silver Salmon, gutted and thrown into the fire right on the spot.

randyt
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
grilled brook trout.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
03-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Bullhead catfish!

randyt
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
this question can be subject to change LOL. I'm partial to home canned salmon too.

roar-k
03-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Bluegill, catfish, or anything I can catch and fry....

COWBOYSURVIVAL
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Try this! skin, not scale a couple of large mouth bass coat with crushed cornflakes and bake'em!

sushidog
03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Bluefin tuna! Like Gollum would say, "Give it to me raw and wiggling!"

Of course I like Nemo too!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2n7nm9u.jpg

Chip

Rick
03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
You sir, are a sick, sick puppy.

I'll see your raw and wigglin' round worm infected fish and raise you a smoked salmon.

canid
03-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I've seldome met a fish i didn't like, but by far my favorite is salmon/trout, with halibut a close follower. i don't care how it's prepared, you almost can't go wrong. I do eat a lot of it smoked though.

Don
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Bluegill, catfish, or anything I can catch and fry....

This winter its been yellow perch for me. They are very tasty caught through the ice. My favorite saltwater fish is Haddock but fresh salmon and halibut are awesome too.

Don

canid
03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
I have not had a yellow perch in years. not since i left ohio/michigan. last time i had a blue-gill, catfish or largemouth out of clean water too for that matter.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
My fav fish to catch and eat is rainbow trout or brooke trout. Pond wise, Black Crappie. Any fishing however is well valued time to me, regardless of if it is fly fishing or just a long cane pole with a bobber.....

pete lynch
03-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Pan-broiled or fried flounder is my favorite but I do like cod, tuna and salmon.

Winnie
03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm a real fan of fish. I prefer it to meat but favourite would be Monkfish, and then everything else! there's not a lot I don't like.

finallyME
03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Salmon and trout are my favorites. I do like the wild brookies better than the planter rainbows though. The pinker the better.

rebel
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Store bought: Salmon on the Barbie.

Caught: fried sunnies.

rwc1969
03-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Bluegills by far, they are the cleanest and contain the least toxins of any fish i know locally. I love the flavor and texture. Typically just fillet them out, skin them and fry them up, sometimes i will bread them.

My real favorite though is springtime bluegills with ramps, cattail shoots, nettle, or the like and morels, all freshly harvested and prepared. I can't thi k of a wild alternative to chips thoug, fish and chips. MMMM!

sushidog
03-25-2011, 09:47 PM
If we expand the category a little to include all seafood, rather than just fish, then there are quite a few rather odd varieties that I enjoy. Being a Cajun and a sushi chef, I've eaten just about everything imaginable. Yes, I suck the crawfish heads (my DW and I sucked down about 10 lbs of mud bugs this very night) and I love dunkin my french bread in blue crab fat and munchin on spicy boiled crab roe.

Having been weaned on raw oysters (my dad was an oyster man), I enjoy anything and everything from the sea. You know what they say, "There's nothing quite as raw as a raw oyster!" I'll eat them any way I can get them, but prefer them raw, like I do most of my seafood. My dad ate them every day for 40 years, as it was neccessary in his business, and I don't remember him getting sick more than once or twice in his life, and certainly not from the oysters. He lived 90 yrs. before lung cancer took his life (he smoked for about 30 years.) Yet at that advanced age, his mind was as sharp as a tack till the day he died - a feat which I attribute to the health benefits of consuming so much of this miracle bivalve.

Giant clam (mirugai or geoduck in English - pronounced gooey duck) is another matter. It's siphon is quite crunchy, sweet and nutty tasting when eaten raw. It has a firm reassuring texture, though it does resemble a particular part of the male anatomy that's rather off-putting at first. Sort of like frog legs reminds me of human fetuses - tasty, tasty fetuses. Slap a slice of mirugai on the counter before you eat it and it will wiggle around a little letting you know it's not quite expired. If it doesn't curl up a little, don't eat it raw! The body or soft part of the clam is a little fishy, so it is not often served to customers, though it is a cherished delicacy for sushi chefs. I like it thinly sliced and briefly fried for a few seconds just to firm up the flesh a little and tossed in a salad.

Uni, raw sea urchin gonads is one of my all time favorites. A hand-roll made with uni, chopped raw squid, shiso leaf and topped with a raw quail egg (Uni-ika temaki tsukimi style) is one of my absolute favorite delicacies ever! I also love nigirizushi made with the raw, chewy, yet ultra-tasty edge meat of a halibut (hirame no engawa.) Bite-sized baby octopus marinated in spicy sesame oil is yummy too - though a tiny bit chewy.

Now for some really odd stuff that I enjoy:

Fish eyes are delicious! My favorite is red snapper eyeball cooked in a soup. You can't eat the iris though. Tuna eyes are good too, cause there's more to enjoy.

Fish liver - particularly rich and tasty monk fish liver. It's good that it is tasty, as it makes up most of the fish. Fish liver is almost always steamed, however abalone liver is best enjoyed raw. IMHO

Odori Ebi - live shrimp, served still quivering with yet unextinguished life. It is indescribably sweet and aromatic! I've also eaten live spiny lobster, though I don't enjoy it quite as much - a little chewy.

Shishamo - Not content to eat smelt eggs cured and prepared like regular caviar. This is the pregnant smelt that is salt grilled and eaten whole - head, bones, roe and all! When I lived in California I always kept some in the freezer for a late night snack with sake - yum!

Shiokara - Fermented squid liver (I particularly like a variety of shiokara made with miniature photo-luminescent squid called Hotaru Ika.) It helps to be drunk when consuming this otsumami (bar food.) Once the liquid bravery takes over, it's actually pretty tasty. The slimy, snot like texture is the worse part though.

Kumoko - (cloud children) These are milt-laden sperm sacks of the cod fish. Of course you eat them raw! They taste like slimy sacks of chalk water. Some folks love them saying they're an aphrodesiac, but I find they taste rather bland. As far as the other effect, well let's just say I never needed help in that dept - maybe it's all the oysters.

Konowata -This has got to be the ultimate weird food. It is the fermented innards (liver, intestines, etc.) of a sea slug (a special type of shiokara.) It is considered a chinmi (high delicacy) in Japan. It has an iodiney sea taste that's strong, but at the same time refreshing. What's amazing is that anyone would try it, as it smells like a musty, saltwater marsh. I hear that the best konowata also includes dried sea slug ovaries (koniko), but I haven't been lucky enough to try that variety. Like Natto (which smells like rotting gym socks), it's tough to brave the smell enough to taste it and discover that it's really quite good.

Karasumi - a salt-dried mullet roe which undergoes a laborious preparation process lasting about 2 weeks to make it edible. It was originally made from black sea bass roe, before they became almost extinct. Now it is almost exclusively made from grey mullet, though sometimes other roes, such as tuna, have been substituted. It is very crunchy and is also considered a chinmi. In case you're game to try it, be forewarned; it is as expensive as high class sturgeon caviar! I thought it was really good, but nothing is that good. A little piece about the size of an eraser on a #2 pencil costs about $7 wholesale. :ohmy:

Chip