PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Cloths for Camping

dilligaf2u2
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Having a change of cloths in the sleeping bag does not take a lot of room. It is healthier in my way of thinking. I sleep better and my cloths get time to air out before the next days use.

Like most of you! I have TDW (The Dear Wife) wanting to go camping with me. Her problem is; if it is under 70F, she sleeps cold. You know the Happy Home Rule? If Mama Is Not Happy! No One Is Allowed To Be Happy! Well it applies to camping as well.

I started having her wear a stocking cap to bed at night. I learned long ago most of our heat loss is threw our head. Maybe if she wore a sleeping cap, like I do, she would not be so cold. Well it worked.

This last week, up in the high lonesome, it got down to 45F at night. She slept warm and threw the night, without waking me to tell me she was cold. I want to know? How can someone with an army artic sleeping bag, with a wool liner, in 45F clear weather. Is Cold? No Guys, I am not saying she is cold in bed! She just sleeps cold.

I have used a sleeping cap and keep one in my sleeping bag all the time. I started doing this over 30 years ago, when I was in the army.

I also have a pair of cotton gloves stashed in there. This is for the mornings; I need warmth till the Tea and coffee is ready.

My thin cotton sleeping pants and a clean T shirt are stashed in the sleeping bag too. In the winter the thin pants are replaced with a pair of heaver pants.

I keep a spare change of sox in my sleeping bag. Wool is a must with me. There is nothing like putting on clean, dry sox before bed, after a long walk in the rain or when you have had your feet in boots all day and your feet have taken a beating. The pair I have are for my sleeping bag only. Extra thick cushion soles. For those nightly walks out to the tree. I change my sox in the morning to what I will wear during the day.

My sleeping sox stay in my sleeping bag. I let them dry from my nights use as I have my morning coffee. This time allows my sleeping bag to dry out too. Letting your sleeping bag air out for 15 minutes or so in the morning helps with dispensing the water vapor it has absorbed during the night. It also keeps it from smelling funny when you open it for your nights rest.

Don

RBB
01-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Having a change of cloths in the sleeping bag does not take a lot of room. My sleeping sox stay in my sleeping bag. I let them dry from my nights use as I have my morning coffee. This time allows my sleeping bag to dry out too. Letting your sleeping bag air out for 15 minutes or so in the morning helps with dispensing the water vapor it has absorbed during the night. It also keeps it from smelling funny when you open it for your nights rest.

Don

If it is cold, I also have an extra pair of wool socks for sleeping. In the spring or autumn, I also take all my clothing and shoes or mocs and put them in a stuff bag and use it for a pillow. This keeps them warm so I don't have to get into cold clothes in the morning. In the winter, I have a wood stove in my tent, so I don't have to worry so much about cold.

As to the wife, as I mentioned on another thread, I bought a minus 40 degree Northface sleeping bag. It was too hot for me no matter how cold it got. My wife now uses it as her summer bag. No complaints about cold since.

dilligaf2u2
01-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I know all about TDW's getting cold. Mine freezes when it is under 70F out. Not at home but the minute TDW's get in a tent it seems the cold factor kicks in. My TDW has an army artic mummy bag and can get by with that. She had the army mountain bag but ran cold at times.

I also start a Johnny Warmer for her. In the dead of summer she will not leave home without it. She keeps one in her bag year round with her silk sleeping cloths and her wool hat, gloves and sox. I think my ugly mutt sleeping in the bag with her helps too.

Don

Rick
01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey Don - Can you define Johnny Warmer or post a link? I have no idea what that is. Thanks.

Beo
01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
All I got on Johnny Warmers is there like long johns used by farmers. Maybe that's what he means.

Rick
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
He indicated in another post that he lights them. I thought it might be like a Zippo hand warmer:

http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx

Beo
01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
For warm weather sleeping I go just about naked:D yup sure do. In the winter i use two or three wool blankets in a fold wrap and climb in (fire isn't too far away) and take off as much clothing as I can, that way when putting it back on it warms me better, keep them inside the blankets though.

beerrunner13
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
He indicated in another post that he lights them. I thought it might be like a Zippo hand warmer:

http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx

that's what he's talking about Rick, well something like it. Jhonny warmer was a name brand back when I was a kid.

Rick
01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks Beerrunner - I learn more stuff from this forum. Some day I may be down right edumacated.

hermitman
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Well to keep warm you change close because even if you don't know it you sweat. To keep warm there are very warm parts of the body like the head. Others with low body fat to keep in the warmth are the neck wrist, and ankles.

Sam
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Don't for get FVR's cough syurp (Wild Turkey) ;)

Beo
01-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know Hermitman, I seen some chicks with pretty fat necks and sporting cankles... jk... sorry couldn't resist.

Rick
01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
That didn't bother me near as much as him calling us a fat head.

very warm parts of the body like the head

nell67
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
hey,I'm not a fat head,I just have big hair....:confused:

hermitman
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
LOL no I ment that you guys were hot heads jk nothing ment by it.

Rick
01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
A fat hot head?!:eek::mad: What?!

nell67
01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
LOL no I ment that you guys were hot heads jk nothing ment by it.

We know hermitman,LOL we just initiated you into the forum,no one gets in unscathed:pWelcome!:D

Rick
01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
We read it they way we want. It doesn't matter HOW you write it.:D

hermitman
01-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Well I guess the lone wolf is just a myth seems like to wolfs and the wolf pack do everything to together. Have you guys every met and just went camping ?

nell67
01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
No havent met any of them ...yet:D

Beo
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Supposed to be having a pack gathering, no time or place set yet.

nell67
01-25-2008, 02:56 PM
place is WE's place,just no date,although he has mentioned a training date in April,there is a thread on it ,

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1494&highlight=April

Rick
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Silly girl. That bauchamp's training class. Here's the wolfpack gathering thread.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=824&highlight=gathering+canada

Late summer early fall is what WE suggested.

nell67
01-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I know Rick,thats why I said there was no date as of yet for the gathering.