PDA

View Full Version : The Lowly Army Canteen, Canteen Cup, Carrier and Stove

dilligaf2u2
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
I have carried the army canteen, cup, carrier and heater for years. I started doing this back about 1970 and have had the setup with me ever sense. The canteen sets I have now are over 50 years old. Metal canteens are Pre WWII. The canvas covers from before WWII and the late 1960’s. The cookers are surplus from the late 60’s. The cups are pre WWII.

In my travels I started caring heavy-duty aluminum foil wrapped around my canteen in my carrier as a means of covering my cup when cooking and for foil cooking.

The Army issued me my first canteen, cup and carrier. The cup was used mostly when I went into the field. Bug Juice with my field dinner from the mess tent. I did not start using the cup for heating drinks and meals till over a year later.

I visited the local army surplus and was talked into getting some of the trox bars and a heater. Now this heater is tapered in a way so the canteen cup fit in for carrying and turn it over and the cup fits snuggly giving you an area for the trox bar to burn under the cup and heats the cup and its contents.

Back then noodles needed time to cook. Back packing food was tasteless, never enough and expensive. My cup was used mostly for drinks, soups and canned foods.

Now I do not know how many of you have stood on a hilltop overlooking miles and miles of more miles and miles? Chilled to the bone with a wind that cuts threw you like a hot knife threw soft butter. Waiting for the sound of the night to change or the thin line of morning’s light to make an appearance. This is when something hot and wet is most welcome.

No longer are we limited with our choices. Sense those days’ things have changed. Freeze dried foods can be acquired almost anywhere. Rimeon noodles cook in minutes. Dry, instant soups come in more then the 3 cube flavors I started with. And canned meats come in pouches, in sizes for one meal. Instant noodles, rice and stuffing can be made, with little effort, eatable. I still take my can of Bean and Bacon soup out with me. Now I can take a better variety of foods and I have even use wood sticks for fuel to do my cooking.

I carry 2 heaters. One kept with each canteen. The heater (stove) can use a small Andies tin with alcohol as the fuel. Wood sticks can be used and trox bars are found in more sporting goods places then they ever were. I cut the fuel feed hole larger on one so I can feed sticks in easier.

I chose metal canteens for 2 reasons. First : durability. I have had the plastic ones break under a fall. Second : If needed, I can heat water in the canteen itself. There is also the cool factor of having a piece of history with me.

I am sure you could find a lighter outfit that will do what my canteen set up does. I do not think you will find a more durable or dependable set up.

Ideas :
All are add water as needed. *** = If you choose (add dried mixed veg’s).
When using Bullion cubes put them in water and heat before adding the other ingredients.

Instant mushroom soup, Dehydrated mushroom slices, for soup. Over Egg Noodles with a pack of diced dried beef (Summer Sausage or Pepperoni works too) for stroganoff.

½ Pack or can of chicken, ½ pack of stuffing mix, hand full ***. Add a bullion cube or two.

½ box of mac & cheese. ½ can or pack of tuna, ***.

Pack or can of roast beef, add instant mashed potatoes. Cook together.

Pack of flavored rice or noodles and what ever meat you happen to have.

2 hands full of egg noodles. Drain most of the water when cooked. Add ½ can of beef stew.

My favorite hot meal when it gets cold. One can of Bean & Bacon or Split Pea Soup. Add one can water. Heat and eat.

Instant Oats or instant Cream of Wheat. Instant refried pinto beans. Instant everything.

The meals are only limited by your ability to cook in one pot and your wild imagination.

Don

Sarge47
01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I just made an experimental canteen cup stove out of a squat tin can that chopped chicken comes in. I bored some holes around the top edge of the can and cut a coat hanger up using strips of the wire as a "grill". Then I poked a series of holes completely around the bottom for air flow. I plan on using the fuel tabs from an esbit stove. I'll field test it 1st chance I get and report back on my findings.:cool:

RBB
01-24-2008, 01:51 AM
I've got a dozen US Army cold weather canteens. Got a deal on them and meant to sell them on ebay, but never got to it. They work pretty well for keeping your contents from freezing in the winter, though not as good as a thermos. They also come with a cup that makes a pretty good cooker for warming coffee, soup, or the like, over a fire.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arctic-Cold-Weather-Canteen-Stainless-construction_W0QQitemZ250208991028QQihZ015QQcatego ryZ16035QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick
01-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Don, I couldn't agree with you more. I carry two of the old style cups along with a mess kit. I've looked at the heaters but haven't acquired one. I may have to do that before it's over with. I've cooked just about everything in those cups.

canid
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
sarge: glad to hear it. hobo stoves are so versatile that i can't believe more people don't make or use them, or at least know how. most people hear the term and just think of a hobo candle or a aluminum can rocket stove. there are so many designs one can use to essentialy make a stove from any can.

Beo
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Might be getting kinda old or tired of hearing but I use a gourd canteen.
Strong and has no bad flavor like some metal canteens have.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6561/gourdcanteenlq0.th.png (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gourdcanteenlq0.png)
Here's mine :D

FVR
01-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Traded my gourd canteen for a wide short wine bottle with buffalo covering. The gourd was nice, but someone wanted it more than I.

traderran
01-29-2008, 12:44 PM
The US canteens are the only way to fly.:D

awfoxden
03-10-2008, 06:43 PM
FYI

blackhawk just came out with a new replacement canteen made of nalgene for active personel and i think they are selling to public as well for around $12-$15. they say they are the same shape as current military canteens and will nest in mil issue metal cups and covers.

www.blackhawk.com

Outdoorbuff
03-11-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey all,

If you would like to learn how to make some really good gear check out this site.

www.trailgear.org

awfoxden
03-11-2008, 02:45 AM
great site. my scouts will dig making their own stoves and these look much easier than the popcan kind ive done in the past.

Thanks for the site.

GVan
03-11-2008, 03:56 AM
When I was in Boy Scouts, way back yonder when, I Carrier a Korean war canteen and cup. The big difference is that they were made of metal and heat resistant. Too bad though, my mother or sister tossed it out while I was in the army.

Try adding the armt mess kit along with it. This handy thing's been arouns in its present form since WW I. Something that old must have some merits.

You may want to look into the French military canteen. It's metal, same general design as ours, but it has a wide mouth opening which will allow access for soups, ice, clean snow, and any other larger item.

Beo
03-11-2008, 09:12 AM
The army mess kit it grat for camping, love mine even though I've had it since 1984.

Rick
03-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I second the mess kit.

MedicineWolf
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I still have my canteeens (2-1quart) and cups from the army, and the mess kit and carry them in all my packs canteens go on my belt. Can't be beat even out here in Northern Montana they are great, I cook in my mess kit and eat right out of it, swish it around in a stream and I'm done.

warrigal
03-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a plastic bottle and the cups canteen stove stand and just recently gel fuel in a resealable tin has become available. I too have had a lot of meals out of a canteen cup.
Just as a side note Australian soldiers are taking to carrying two wide mouth soft Nalgene 30oc ( 1liter) bottles in a minimi ammo pouch. Becuase of the huge amounts of water used in the tropics. I asked a mate who had just come back from operations in East Timor, and for a non resuped day patrol in the mountains ten liters was the norm.
Anyway the nalgene doesn't break, it isn't hard to drink a liter in one stop, no sloshing. But, and here is the trick the wide mouth is much easier and quicker to fill than the narrow normal canteens. It is also possible if you using dehydrated meals to soak them in wide mouth clear Nalgene. you can get it all out and see if there are any bits stuck in the corners.
Just a thought.
Carl

Outdoorbuff
03-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I have made most of the stuff on that site myself, and I use alot.

bulrush
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I have:
- Homemade wood powered can stove, works fine, if it's not pouring rain and all your wood isn't soaked! You don't have to carry fuel either.

- Swiss Volcano cook kit. Haven't tried it yet but I think it runs on tablets or alcohol.

- East Germen mess kit with Trangia type alcohol stove. Works great, used 3 times so far.

- Folding tablet stove thing. Have not tried yet.

Guys and gals, beware of making a project more complicated than it has to be. That's the military's job. (just a joke, love our military guys and gals!) Here's my quick alcohol stove:

Take a pop or beer can, cut 2 inches from bottom. Dump in alcohol or alcohol gel. Light it. Now add a pot stand and wind screen and you're done. You don't need fancy gas jets or holes or anything.

Reuse stove with Triox tablets or any other tablets.

The other designs work fine but this one is quick and easy.

crashdive123
03-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I have:
- Homemade wood powered can stove, works fine, if it's not pouring rain and all your wood isn't soaked! You don't have to carry fuel either.

- Swiss Volcano cook kit. Haven't tried it yet but I think it runs on tablets or alcohol.

- East Germen mess kit with Trangia type alcohol stove. Works great, used 3 times so far.

- Folding tablet stove thing. Have not tried yet.

Guys and gals, beware of making a project more complicated than it has to be. That's the military's job. (just a joke, love our military guys and gals!) Here's my quick alcohol stove:

Take a pop or beer can, cut 2 inches from bottom. Dump in alcohol or alcohol gel. Light it. Now add a pot stand and wind screen and you're done. You don't need fancy gas jets or holes or anything.

Reuse stove with Triox tablets or any other tablets.

The other designs work fine but this one is quick and easy.

Sounds like you've gotten some of your gear the same place I have. I know that many have mentioned them. Just got 6 of the folding esbit stoves delivered today. (couldn't resist at under 2$ each)