PDA

View Full Version : Canning beef stew

cm79
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm canning a batch of beef stew today and my first 4 jars came out and 3 of tham are still boiling? They all sealed and I followed the recipe.Any info.

gryffynklm
03-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Is it still boiling?

No?

are they sealed??

You are ok

cm79
03-20-2011, 06:18 PM
thnx, I did noticed it was only on the narrow neck jars.They only bubbled for a little while. But they all did seal.

crashdive123
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
You're fine. Now ---- about those samples to Quality Control......:innocent:

huntermj
03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I am looking forward to try my hand at canning this year. Congrats to you on your first batch. Oh and all samples will now be sent to the Vermont office for quality control purposes. If any further testing is necessary the Vermont office will send out a memo to the appropriate parties.

Rick
03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh, look, it's Jimmy Come Lately. Isn't that cute. Trying to horn in on the QC racket. Not on this corner, bud. You'll find yourself belly up in a Bonanza Salad Bar line. Now move along and get off QC's turf.

huntermj
03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
The corporate quality control office has found the local office somewhat lacking in timely responses, efficiency must be increased to maximize profits, All samples will be sent to the main office in Vermont forth with. Please see your local attorney to find out what "forth with" means. And please let corporate know what " forth with" means because we don't.

Rick
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey Crash, you wanna borrow my ban button or do you want to use yours?

huntermj
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
OK that made me laugh really hard. It really did.

crashdive123
03-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I'll cut Jim a little bit of slack. He's been gone for a long time and his previous comments regarding QC probably fall under the following......
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Rick
03-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Well....okay. But just this once. Don't think our good nature is a sign of weakness though.

huntermj
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
while corporate finds your responses "amusing" local branches will be individually evaluated for profitability.

Sh-Ki
04-09-2011, 08:49 PM
If you used a pressure canner ( which you must have if you made beef stew...) the temperature gets very hot, because of the pressure, and it is not uncommon for foods with liquid to continue boiling, even up to an hour after you take them out of the canner. You won't notice it in thicker recipes, like boston beans, unless there is a lot of liquid in them. You also won't notice it in water bath canned items. Sometimes, when you make a recipe and can with a pressure canner you will notice some jars seem to boil more, or longer than other ones, even though they were in the same batch. All that means is they have different amounts of liquid in them. :)