PDA

View Full Version : Reference book

rebel
03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
A guide to canning, freezing, curing & smoking meat, fish & game by: Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

I think it's a great reference.

It has smoker diagrams for 55 gallon drums and refrigerators.

It also has recipes for things like pemmican.

your_comforting_company
03-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd like to get that pemmican recipe, if you don't mind sharing :D

rebel
03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
I'd like to get that pemmican recipe, if you don't mind sharing :D

"1 cup venison or beef jerky
1 cup dried berries or raisins
1 cup crushed nuts or seeds (such as unroasted sunflower seeds)
1/4 cup suet, lard, or peanut butter
2 teaspoons honey

1. Grind or pound the jerky to a mealy powder in a medium-sized bowl. Add the berries and nuts.
2. Heat the suet and honey until softened. Stir them into the meat mixture until well blended.
3. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, shape it into logs or cakes. Store in an airtight container or plastic bag; it will keep for many months.
yield: 3 cups

Native American Origins
Pemmican, made from pulverized dried meat or fish mixed with hot fat and dried berries into a thick past, began with Native Americans as a nutritious, spoilage-resistant food that was especially good for traveling. In some areas, parched corn was used in place of the dried meat.
When Native Americans made pemmican, they dried the lean meat from beef, venison and other game animals in the sun or over a bed of hot coals, then hung the strips from poles suspended over forked sticks for support. When the strips were brittle dry, they were beaten into powder. Enough hot fat was added to bind the powdered meat and make it almost pasty.
Dried fruit (cherries, apples, raisins, currants, and nuts) were kneaded into it.
The mixture was shaped into small loaves or cakes, then eaten out of hand. Pemmican was also added to hot water to make a soup."