PDA

View Full Version : Your Gear...

Beo
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Here it is people, the ultimate thread on gear. I wanna know what you carry into the woods for a three day to a week trek (hike & camp) and a month long trek (hike & camp) no adding what you would like to take, what you take now.
My gear for all this consists of:
Hat: French Cap (TUQUE, blue)
Shirt: Cotton Hunting Shirt 3each
Leggings: Wool (Dark blue trimmed in yellow), long Canvas gaiters (Brown)
Garters: Hand Woven & Leather Strap Type
Sash: Hand Woven
Breechclout: Wool, Dark blue trimmed in yellow & deer hide
Breeches: French Button Fly 2 pair
Moccasins: Dark Brown Ligonier Moc by Arrow Moccasin's
Haversack or Snapsack: Canvas with 36-inch tumpline with the following items inside:extra leather thongs (36in. long 10 each), Tin Cup (2) Castile Soap (2) Candle (3) Sewing & fishing kit, Whetstone, Bag of parched corn & jerky, Tea Block, Pouch of tobacco and pipe, Patch knife, Forged fork & Spoon, Tin Boiler, salt and herb horn.
Possibles Bag: Leather, holding the following items inside: Frizzen Stall,1-Bullet Bag holding 20 .62 cal. round ball, 1-Cow’s Knee, 1-Priming Horn, Leather Flint Packet (5 pieces of flint), 1-Tin of bees wax & tallow, 1-Hand Forged Screwdriver, Bag of tow, Loading block (tied to strap of possibles bag), Vent Pick & Brush, Pouch with different ramrod tips, tow strips, & paper cartridges (10 each), and extra springs.
Belt Pouch: Holding the following items: Flint striker & char cloth, cattail fluff, dried moss, and bark tinder in tin, Candle (2)
Powder Horn tied to hunting pouch strap
Long Knife (8 to 10 inch blade)
Hatchet/Tomahawk w/cover
Flintlock: French Fusil de Chasse (Tulle) with flashguard
Bedroll: Canvas Diamond shelter (waterproofed 10x10)
Wool blanket (4x6) not used in summer months
Canvas ground cloth (waterproofed 4x5)
The diamond shelter is laid out flat with ends folded in, ground cloth is folded to fit next, then the wool blanket (if needed) and rolled tightly and tied with two leather straps, the leather shoulder strap is used as a tumpline (shoulder strap as we call it).
Canteen: Round Gourd Canteen w/ leather strap
This is what I carry for up to month, my son the same but the cups are split between us. We always go primitive so this may not seem like much to most but I have used this set up for years and am very comfortable with it. Every once in a while I throw in a hunk of salted meat or bacon.
Waterproofing Canvas: Nail it to the backside of a woodshed, paint it with an oil-based deck stain and be sure to look at ingredients: label-linseed oil and color pigment, after it dries, turn it over and paint the other side. Very Waterproof. Find a round smooth rock and rub it over entire cloth to soften up. The color of deck stain used should be dark or rusty in color, as it will come out lighter... No Smell No Stickiness as some have found with turpentine mixture, or beeswax mixture.

Beo
01-23-2008, 11:30 AM
This list was compiled out of my head, there may a thing or two missing but I'm pretty sure this is about all.

Rick
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
My gear depending on season:

Hat: Balaclava or Boonie
Shirt: Wool mostly. Hot weather Cotton
Pant: Wool mostly. Hot weather Columbia convertible pants.
Boots: Vasque Sundowners
Backpack: Northface Avarapa
inside: Canteen cup, mess kit, poncho, Buck hand saw, MRS Sweetwater purifying kit, sewing kit, small first aid kit, 10X12 tarp, 50' paracord, Fire starter kit (matches, char cloth, petro soaked cotton balls, tinder tube, metal match, BIC lighter EDIT: forgot my fresnal lens, mag bar and tea candles), 2 large plastic garbage bags, 1 small garbage bag, 2% iodine, fishing kit in a 35mm film can, Pocket Rocket stove and fuel (carried if restrictions are on), two bandannas, lensatic compass, leather gloves, AA led maglite, really cool shades, a couple of snack bars and some chicken bullion cubes for emergencies.
Long Knife (5 1/2 inch blade)
Buck lock blade folder
Handgun: .32 H&R wheel gun with 2 speed loaders
Bedroll: bag cover and medium mummy bag
Canteen: 2 wide mouth Nalgene bottles with paracord loop and 100 mph tape
Survival Kit: pocket kit and Old Timer knife.

I think that's it. Also from memory.

For food, I try to through in some Ramen noodles and rice. I also carry trail mix as well as some coffee bags and tea bags. I've carried Bumble Bee chicken breasts in the foil pouch. They are pre-cooked, light and pretty tasty. In the winter, I also toss in a small can of mixed vegetables. Summer time, or course, you can forage much more.

Don't go out a month at a time. That would not be a good time for me.