PDA

View Full Version : Corned Beef

Justin Case
03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
since it was on sale for $1.17 a pound,, I bought 2 briskets ,, I plan to cook one the traditional way tomorrow,,, Boiling it with cabbage and red potatoes,,,,,, I was wondering if anyone knows another good way to prepare a corned beef brisket ?? I would like to do something different with the second one later,, can you grill it ? hmmmm ?????

*EDIT Hmm,, Maybe it would be good dried,,,, Jerky ?

gryffynklm
03-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I've done a smoked corned beef. It was real good

1 corned brisket
2 tablespoons peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

I usually eyeball the peppercorns and coriander and use pre ground.

You should soak the corned beef for a few hours
Mix all the seasonings and rub on the beef and put in a large ziplock or plastic wrap real good. put it on tray and refrigerate over night

I use indirect heat in my webber grill coals on one side corned beef on the other in a aluminum pan about 2" deep. Just a little apple juice and water in the bottom of the pan. I add more water and juice to keep the drippings from burning while its cooking.
I try to keep the heat around 280˚f to 325˚ max.
I use apple or pare wood chips soaked in water for a few hours for the smoke. I use an old pie plate to put the wood chips in so they smoke instead of just burn. I add more chips when the smoke stops. I baste the corned beef with the juices when I add more coals and chips. about every 20 to 30 minutes.

I smoke for 3 1/2 minimum. The longer you smoke the more tender the corned beef will be.

I take the corned beef off the fire and cover it to rest while I make the barbecue sauce.

I like KC Masterpiece original or Sweet Baby Ray's I add some fine chopped onions sautéed in some of the pan drippings. The onions should be cooked to soft.
I some times add more drippings to the sauce to taste. it takes me about 15 minutes to do the sauce. I start the onions in a fry pan with some butter just before I take the corned beef off the fire. I add the drippings as soon as I get the beef in the house. I Suppose you can start the onions earlier and get some of the drippings early enough to cool things down if you don't like warm Barbecue sauce.

I like it.

Justin Case
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Mmmm that does sound GOOD ! i have a gas grill,, I am SERIOUSLY thinking about trying to slice it very thin and hanging it to dry,,,,, what do you think about that ?

gryffynklm
03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
that might work but I know little about jerky beyond eating it. you have to remove the fat. it needs to be lean. I'm pretty sure about that. Others have posted on jerky and my have more insight then I do.

Justin Case
03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I have made jerky lots of times,,, i am just a little concerned about it being too tough ;)

canid
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
whatever you do; don't hesitate to marinate it in a pint of the black stuff.

Trabitha
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm polish...can I get away with drinking a beer and eating a can of corn beef hash? :)

Justin Case
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
whatever you do; don't hesitate to marinate it in a pint of the black stuff.

Black stuff ??

Trabitha
03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Black stuff ??

Guinness? ;) Hmmmmmmm...guinness...

canid
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Some o'er the water think bitter is fine,
And others; they swear by the juice of the vine,
But there's nothing that's squeezed from the grape or the hop,
Beats that black liquidation with the froth on the top!

Winnie
03-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Oh, yeah, Canid!