PDA

View Full Version : French Bread

Justin Case
03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
I have stopped buying the regular loaves of bread, ya know "wonder" "Webbers" etc,, I discovered that I can buy loaves of fresh baked french bread from the supermarket,, its only $1.29 a loaf and tastes SOOOOO much better ,, next time you are in the store and its one with a bakery, look for the freshly baked French Bread, Its cheap and delicious ! :yes:

beetlejuicex3
03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Try making beer bread, Justin.

Justin Case
03-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Try making beer bread, Justin.

Beer Bread ? hmmm, I do like beer too !

Rick
03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I've been buying either Rye or Pumpernickel from our bakery. I like the darker breads and they are healthier for you. I picked up some marbled rye today. My wife makes beer bread as well.

Justin Case
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Mmmmm,,, Corned beef on rye !!! its almost time ! :) can't wait,,, picked up a corned beef brisket on sale for $1.17 a lb,,,,, (point cut)

LowKey
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Do you mean the french bread that is just Italian loaf bread stretched out skinny? Has a soft crust?
Or the really crispy crust french bread?
Most grocery stores don't really make either. If you're lucky, the Italian loafs come in as frozen dough that they proof and bake. The crusty breads, they come in frozen par-baked.

If you really want a treat and they are using the par-baked crusty breads, ask for some frozen ones and finish them yourself in your home oven (about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown). They are better fresh warm than cold.

French bread is the cheapest bread to make at home. Though it isn't always the easiest.
All it is is flour, water, salt and yeast.

gordy
03-23-2011, 04:30 PM
I normally have pate with French bread (baguette). And add slices of different things to that, tomato, artichoke, and pickles. Very civilized.

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/pate-cornichon-baguette.jpg

Justin Case
03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Hmm,, I get Baguette or "Artisan" sometimes too,, the french bread I get is softer and bigger,, its really just a long loaf i guess,,