PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bait For Fishing

RBB
01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Not so hard, eh? Most places you just dig for worms. In boreal forests, this isn't so easy. Many places there are no worms. So, I thought I'd share this method my grandfather used:

Shoot a red squirrel, tie it up in a birchbark tube. Tie the tube off with a length of line and throw it in the water in a low swampy area. By morning, it will be full of leeches. Great bait for walleyes.

hermitman
01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I have also just animal guts and placed them by the water and had crayfish come up then i used the crayfish for bait and cought some good size bass.

canid
01-22-2008, 03:03 PM
have you tried grubs? they can often be found during the warm months in rotted dead-fall

catfish10101
02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Why not just eat the squirrel and use the waste to catch crawfish or even catfish?

dilligaf2u2
02-15-2008, 03:15 AM
I have super glued a hopper or cricket to a hook. The racket they make brings the big ones in. Never fails. A bobber for weight and or my fly rod.

Don

marlin22
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
How do you make a hook or get supper glue if you are stuck in the wilderness with nothing

I have super glued a hopper or cricket to a hook. The racket they make brings the big ones in. Never fails. A bobber for weight and or my fly rod.

Don

Beo
02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Why not eat the squirrel, use leftovers to get crawfish, eat crawfish, no need for fish cause fish is nasty:D Then start over.

marlin22
02-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Well thats one way of doing it but how do you get the squirrel :D

Why not eat the squirrel, use leftovers to get crawfish, eat crawfish, no need for fish cause fish is nasty:D Then start over.

Arborius
02-15-2008, 10:06 PM
How do you make a hook or get supper glue if you are stuck in the wilderness with nothing

You can make a hook out of a twig or a thorn and use pine sap for glue if you really want to glue it. The smell might keep fish away so I would just tie the cricket to the hook using the fish line you made out of cattail fiber. :D

flandersander
02-16-2008, 12:32 AM
How do you make line out of cattail fiber? I mean I know its possible but does anybody know how to do it? And has anybody proven it to work?

Arborius
02-16-2008, 07:58 PM
How do you make line out of cattail fiber? I mean I know its possible but does anybody know how to do it? And has anybody proven it to work?

I've never done it but you use the inner stalk of the plant stem not the cotton on the top. You then have to twist or braid it to add strength. You can also make string from animal tendons by pounding them with a round stone.

Assassin Pilot
02-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I would just use a paperclip as a hook. Far more reliable (I always carry around paperclips). or you could make one out of wood.

flandersander
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Asassin pilot, how would sombody go about making a wooden hook? i've asked around and nobody seems to know exactly, step by step, how to make a wooden hook.

Assassin Pilot
02-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Well you could take a small stick, and make it sharp and thin. Then take another stick and make it thin while having a bulge at one end. Use twine or whatever string you are using for the fishing line to attach them in a way so it resembles a hook. I shall make a quick picture to illustrate it.

http://www.rocketsoft.gm-school.uni.cc/uploads/hook_image.bmp

Stealth
02-17-2008, 04:56 PM
hey flanders try this page off the website: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-4.php for some ideas. I think a gorge hook would be the best which is just a piece of wood (usually) that is covered in bait so when the fish swallows it it is stuck in the stomach or esophagus

chopp29
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Well I dont know about the super glue, but you can make hooks from old bone, are from the right type of bryer are hackberry thorns. And as far as the glue, never tryed it but maybe from some type of tree sap? Just a thought........And yes I agree eat the sqiurrel and use the left overs to catch fish..........

RBB
02-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Well, red (pine) squirrel doesn't taste that great - unless you like the taste of turpentine. I eat them if there is nothing else, but as someone who was raised on jackfish, walleye, and trout - I'd have to disagree with you concerning fish. I maybe wouldn't eat them if I were down south, but coming out of our cold northern lakes - nothing better.

As to hooks: You can make a straight hook, sharpen both ends of a piece of bone or something hard, whittle a little girdle in the center of the "hook," tie the line in the center and loop the line around one end. You have to wait (like you would with a bass using a frog for bait) until the fish swallows it deep - then just give your line a good yank.

wareagle69
02-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Asassin pilot, how would sombody go about making a wooden hook? i've asked around and nobody seems to know exactly, step by step, how to make a wooden hook.

great questions flandersander- keep them real.I always enjoy people who give advice w/o trying it first that can be dangerous.

good idea on fibres from cattails will have to try that one, if you are a fan of ray mears try to watch his shows he addresses this problem about hooks, i beleive he uses a thorn

FVR
02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Gorge hooks are the way I would go.

I have knapped hooks out of chert, takes too long and they never turn out just perfect.

Bait, I use to split reads, you will find white grubs that local panfish just want to eat. There are always crickets and grasshoppers if you can catch them, under rocks you will find all kinds of little critters that the fish will eat.

If by chance you have a can of sardines, eat the sardines but save the oil. Take a piece of fabric, hook on the hook, dip into the sardine oil and you will catch something. Make sure you use a small hook as you want to catch whatever ya can.

flandersander
02-19-2008, 01:08 AM
thanks eagle!

Lamewolf
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM

I'll take nasty fish anytime - YUM !

Lamewolf
03-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Simple, start with a stick and carve away everything that doesn't look like a hook !

aktrekker
03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
You can start with this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRrSeDgT9Ts

Check out his channel. He has a couple of newer primitive fishing videos. And surprise! I just noticed he's been on Hillbilly Blood.

gryffynklm
03-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Eugene Runkis is a member on this forum and has a great series of videos.

aktrekker
03-05-2014, 11:32 PM
I've seen the name but I didn't know who it was. I've only known him as Trapper Jack.
I have quite a few of his videos. I need to check out some of his newer videos once I find a wifi hotspot.

crashdive123
03-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Eugene is exactly as he appears in his vids and on the TV show Hillbilly Blood. I've camped with him a few times and he is a wealth of information along with being a fun guy to be around.

aktrekker
03-06-2014, 08:33 AM
I don't watch TV. If I had seen the show I would have recognized him.
Personally, I prefer not to go quite so primitive if I don't have to. But I agree, lots of good information. I like his videos.
I have to get to a hot spot. I want to check out his videos on homeless survival.

Chassit
04-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Some baits I have collected in the field:

Worms, grasshoppers, fish eyes/guts, crawdads (they taste pretty good themselves imo), minnows, grubs. I am sure there are more, but I cannot think of them off of the top.

hunter63
04-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Friday nite fish fry....walleye, all you can eat with fixins'

MiddleWolf
07-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Just take a small piece of wood resembling a short toothpick with the line tied to the center. then just push your bait all the way on it like a skewer. When swallowed by the fish it should turn sideways and get lodged in the fish's throat. One of the most primitive pieces of tackle know to man.

ninjasurvivor
07-21-2014, 01:57 PM
The last forest I was in I found bones EVERYWHERE. Even in the desert I stumble across them pretty often. I don't have much experience making bone hooks, but I know it can be done. The key is to make the curve of the hook wider, as it does not have the structural strength that metal does.

But wait. If we are using bone fishing hooks, what are we using for line?

crashdive123
07-21-2014, 03:47 PM
The bone can be straight as Middlewolf described in post 30.