PDA

View Full Version : a swift kick right in the

randyt
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I thought I was being smart. A few years back I bought a husqvarna chain saw. It's a good saw, a great saw in fact. A year and a half later I thought I would be wise and buy another saw of the same model for a spare. And between the two I could build one. The new model was slightly different but looked really close.

last Saturday I was brushing and looked down and OMG the oil tank cap was gone. I looked all over for it with no success. But not to worry I'll go pull the cap of my spare saw and finish brushing. Then order another and a spare. well low and behold the cap from the newer saw would not fit, I about had kittens right there. why did they change something as stupid as a fill cap? What if I had really needed that cap? Funny thing I've used a chainsaw for many years and have not lost a cap. Anyways I used the new saw to finish up the brushing. Next time I'll buy two saw of the same model at the same time.

crashdive123
03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I've got four chain saws. Two are identical Poulan saws, one is a newer Poulan, and the only one I really use any more is my Stihl Farm Boss. It is nice to have the spare parts on hand, and I've picked up a few for the Stihl. You may want to go through some of the common maintenance items or parts that can be easily lost and keep them on hand. (I really need to do that with my vehicles too)

nell67
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Where I work,we sell Poulan Pro chainsaws,I am not a big fan of them,BUT,we have customers around here who use us as a "rental" store,they come in,pay for an item,and then return it for a refund after they are done with it,consequence is we had about ten of them sitting in the back room,and we pulled them out and checked them over,there was nothing wrong with any of them other than having been used.

I bout all of them for $20 each,sold several,and kept a few to use,plus had a couple just for parts.

We cut ALOT of wood throughout the year,and have 3 Stihl,there is NO comparison in quality.But my personal preferance will always be a Jonsered,best saw period IMHO!

Camp10
03-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Stihl changed caps a little while ago too. I dont like the new style caps all that much and I have had the bar oil cap come undone (because I didnt get it right) and leak on me. I also have one saw from each style and a few extra caps in the saw case.

I went with Stihl because that is what we have on our bucket trucks and if they can handle the abuse we put them through doing storm work, etc then they must be okay!