PDA

View Full Version : Traps and Nets

Smok
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I am surprised at how many do not have traps or nets in their BOBs is it because you do not know how to use them ?? They are not that heave so why not use them ??

Nativedude
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
For me it's not about weight. I make my snares & traps out in the wilds. No need for me to carry what I can make out there! :)

Sam
01-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I have fish hooks, and line. can make a gorge if I need it. Any thing that eats will swallow a hook.

Sarge47
01-22-2008, 07:54 AM
I would make a "trot line"; if I needed a net I have a nylon hammock that makes a great one!:cool:

Rick
01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Not about weight for me either. I make snares and traps, including fish traps in the summer. I carry a fishing kit with me as well.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I also make up snares figure fours etc in the bush if the need arises I dont carry anything for trapping other then wire and fishing line

canid
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
i'm about as confident in my use of dead-falls as my use of snares, which is to say; a bit. i can make fish traps in about 20-60 min from most straight brush or from grass though i wouldn't eat the fish here unless i where dying. i'm fair with a rabbit stick for pheasant, hare, duck and i'm not too worried about it. i can make a fair bow in a few days and an acceptable one in one evening.

that pretty much covers me unless i loose both hands.

tracks
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Got'a love those snares light weight and simple to set up. pack as many as 50 on some trips,But what about fishing traps,have used light weight mono, nets and hickory nuts to sane some robin,jackand catfish but have never tried ernestly to trap fish.Maby I need to extend my bag of tricks, any details...?

Rick
01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-4.php

Scroll down to fish traps.

tracks
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks RICK I see what your talking about now...

Smok
01-23-2008, 01:30 AM
I use to trap here years age when it was legal here . I still have my traps and I know how to use them I made good money at it back then . I know how hard it is to learn to trap as will. These are tools and good ones not to be put aside . Snare are nice and light and I have them in my kit , but I keep a few traps in my truck as will . Just thought I would bring them up to see which way the stick would flout :D

dilligaf2u2
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I live in the desert of NW New Mexico, USA. Not much water for fishing. I know how to make fish traps and dead-falls. I have 2 rat traps that work well for squirrel and rabbit. I do not trap much when out. Jack rabbit is not the best food to eat unless you are in desperate shape and that is all you can find. Snakes and bugs, I have dealt with out here and they make a good meal.

I used to fly fish but have not in years. I carry a few hooks and I carry spider wire with me. A nice hopper super glued to a hook works all too well. Kicks up a fuss and attracts the fish. Just not a lot of fishing in this area.

I know what canyons the goats hide in and where the horses and mules water, out on the flats. I can make snares if I need them. I just do not do it much these days.

Don

canid
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
i don't know why more people don't eat these things. they are good and the white tail hare get up to or over 8lb.

they are a little gamier than some other hare, which can be dispelled by boning them before cooking [a trick i've tried and seems to work] and the musk is mitigated by removing the peri-rectal and metatarsal scent glands, removed with the skin and the feet. the scent glands around the chin are less noticable and will be removed with the head. as long as you're not rubbing them into the meat, this is no problem.

they are good food.