PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a Thread Vs Blog ???

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Could someone please explain in simple terms (total tech NOob here) the difference between a Forum Thread and a Blog??

Why post the same subject to both?

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two?

crashdive123
03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
A thread is nothing more than a topic started on the forum pages where a person can share their thoughts, information and experiences. Here's an example. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?15492-Difference-between-a-Thread-Vs-Blog&p=285402 Blogs are where a person can share their thoughts, information and experiences. The big difference IMO is that a thread is for discussion and information, whereas a blog (as used here) is for information without discussion.

Justin Case
03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Blogs are harder to find ;)

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Ok got it, although people can comment on a blog, it is not a discussion.

kyratshooter
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
"Back in the day" there were dozens of survival forums, some good, but many were private deals with less than a half dozen real contributers. New contributers were discouraged and if you disagreed with the "host" you were immidiately banned.

They became repititous posts of "I love Moras", "I love Mosin Nagants" and "I love MREs" because if you disagreed with anything you were gone and you were not allowed to talk about a topic the host did not want on his board.

Most of those forums have turned into blog pages where one guy can spout off with no reguard for accuracy of information and no reguard for feedback, postitive or negitive.

If you google "survival forums" you will get this board and less than a dozen others, most are poor quality and simplistic. If you google "survival blogs" you will get thousands of hits.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Gawds how I do know about closed forums.... both TFL and THR have banned me for disagreeing with both reloading posts and gunsmithing posts that were both dangerous and faulty. Art Eatman actually in my banning wrote that I cannot spell either so they would rather I not be there.... It seems like the Mods at both of those sites make up rules as they go to suit their needs.

What I was looking for was the best way to post my rustic furniture projects in a way they do not get lost or added to. I guess I could make a web site....I am just not at all tech minded when it comes to computer things. Not sure where to start on a online media for the furniture.

Trabitha
03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Thread encourages discussion or asks a question...a blog implies..."just listen to me, I have sompin to say, darn it!" :)

crashdive123
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Gawds how I do know about closed forums.... both TFL and THR have banned me for disagreeing with both reloading posts and gunsmithing posts that were both dangerous and faulty. Art Eatman actually in my banning wrote that I cannot spell either so they would rather I not be there.... It seems like the Mods at both of those sites make up rules as they go to suit their needs.

What I was looking for was the best way to post my rustic furniture projects in a way they do not get lost or added to. I guess I could make a web site....I am just not at all tech minded when it comes to computer things. Not sure where to start on a online media for the furniture.

Mods can make up rules as they go? Hmmmmmmm.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah they do.....and they try to take over every gun forum there is so they can run em the 2way they want, rather than how the members want.....finally shotgun world kicked their butts out when they seen what they were doing.......I am too out spoken for their kind....they want obediance and speeeeeeeellllllllin and comma use to be perfect.

I just do not take kindly to folks that think they are better than the Constitution. All you need is a few basic rules and stick by them to run a decent forum. They are forum Nazi's and if you diagree with them in the slighest, Bam, you are banned with a note that says something truly demeaning.... I just do not feel there is any need for total idiotic power hungry control like that....

You should have seen what they did to Kokalis, the gun writer for Shotgun News, Gun List and a few others....and I mean the mods, not the members.....told 100% lies about him and banned or deleted any post from anyone that disagreed with the lies. I guess that old statement about Power and Absolute power is correct for those folks.

Sorry.... got on a dang soap box again..... I just do not like folks like that....

JPGreco
03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
For you furniture, a blog would be best. It would be all of the information gather neatly in one place. The other way of doing it would be to create a thread, and then respond to it several times in a row without anyone else so you can the space at the beginning of the thread to put in any info you want. Not sure though about post limits or blog limits on this site. I know another board I am on that does not have blogs, the members use the method I mentioned about the thread for big projects.

In reality, they are very similar, and most people will treat a blog much like a thread. I like the idea of if you have a specialty, such as your furniture making, it makes a nice area to centralize it all. So you can make a blog for each piece of furniture and a visitor would go to your blog page and see all of them listed instead of having to hunt through a subforum where the thread can move based on recent posts.