PDA

View Full Version : Some Skills Seem To Stay Around

crashdive123
03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
It brought a big smile to my face seeing this WWII vet being honored, and having the opportunity to display some of his skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRpAxGVg4M&feature=player_embedded

Pocomoonskyeyes3
03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
WOW! That is AWESOME! Thanks Crash,That brought a lump to my throat. I'd hate for him to be shooting at me...even if he is 84!

Funny though, I think those were the same WWII Barracks I stayed in during Basic Training(at the end of the clip). I would have to see more to be sure, but it sure looks like it. I remember pulling "Fire Watch" in those. Being made of all wood and highly waxed and buffed floors,Fire watch is really a requirement for them.

Rick
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
That was truly amazing. I'll let the sniper sum it up at the end. Impossible shots! Glad he was on our side.

OhioGrizzLapp
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Outstanding +++

klkak
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM
My Grandfather was a world war II designated marksman. He too fought at the battle of the bulge. I wonder if they knew each other?

That vid brought a lump to my throat also.

Rick
03-04-2011, 07:03 PM
It's certainly possible but there were about 3/4 of a million men committed to the Bulge so it's pretty unlikely. My uncle was captured by the Germans on Christmas Eve outside of Bastogne.

Camp10
03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
That was really incredible! Thanks for sharing Crash!

Pal334
03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Incredible. Another example of that awesome generation .

OhioGrizzLapp
03-05-2011, 03:46 AM
My dad 2 years ago went on one of the WWII Honor Flights where they take the WWII vets to DC and show them the WWII Monument, they have lunches and dinners and meet various older politicians like Dole, Glenn ext. I am very glad he went then as he is in no shape now to go (waiting for "The Call" at any day now :( My dad was stationed in South Pacific, New Guinie (Bloody Beach), he was an advanced Topographical Engineer with the 650th. My Uncle, my dads brother was in EU, a lil before and during Battle of the Buldge.

To see a vid like this just makes me proud someone will take the time out of their busy lives and take care of these WWII vets. My dad does not even know me, but I see him each week and read him a short story from a magazine called "reminisce" a magazine of things prior to 1960. http://www.reminisce.com/Default.asp?r_d=y I would love to take him to the range and let him shoot a M1 Carbine and a Garand.

sushidog
03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the vid, Crash!

It brought a lump in my throat too, reminding me of dear old dad. Like so many others, he was a WW II vet too. He passed away in 2001 at 90 yrs young with a mind as sharp as a tack. I keep his flag on my gun cabinet to remind me of the fine example I aspire to live up to.

Chip

Rick
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
My dream was to take my dad back to England and Europe so he could see what it is like after the war instead of all the carnage he saw. I was never able to pull it off. One of the few regrets I have in life.

crashdive123
03-05-2011, 08:58 PM
He's seen it Rick, and I'm sure he's smiling.

tipacanoe
03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Crash, that is one of the best things I have watched in a long long time, thank you Sir. Nothing but respect for those wonderful people of that generation, what you see today is really quite sad.

pgvoutdoors
03-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Outstanding video, for those who have never shot long range before it no easy feat. At a thousand yards, you move that weapon a hair and it's off target. I can only hope to be half that steady at his age.

I agree, that generation was something else. Real Americans... I'm proud of all of them.

Thanks Crash...

EdD270
03-14-2011, 07:15 PM
When a skill is truly learned, "owned" as some say, it never leaves you.

sushidog
03-14-2011, 11:02 PM
That reminds me of a story.

My doctor had just set my arm after a motorcycle crash. Just when he was finishing up plastering the cast I inquired, "Doc, will I be able to play the piano when my arm comes out this cast?" The doc said, "Well, it's a simple break, it should heal just fine, so I don't see why not." I said, "That's great doc, cause I sure couldn't play the piano before!" :)

Speaking of owned skills, that doc just got owned.

Chip

Aurelius95
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Crash, thanks for sharing this video. Awesome. So thankful for people like Ted Gundy, and all the others who have served our country.