PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Cooker/ Canner

COWBOYSURVIVAL
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I did a search but got flustered trying to sort it out. Does anyone pressure can on a family scale. I am ready to buy one and so is a close friend. We need a recommend on buying one. I told my friend I had THE source for the info......

LowKey
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
As soon as I get the cash I'm going with one of these
http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican921pressurecanner.htm
It uses a weight for venting instead of a gauge (though it has a gauge too, but it isn't a pressure vent).
If you get one with just the gauge, you have to send the gauge out to be tested for accuracy. If you don't, you may not get up to killing temperatures.

Rick
03-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I second that. I bought an All American a couple of years back. I think mine is the 21 quart. Their customer service is excellent. Very easy folks to work with any questions you have, too. The up side is the All American doesn't have any rubber seals to go bad either.

your_comforting_company
03-02-2011, 01:40 AM
My Grandma has one and uses it regularly. I'll find out what kind she has, since it needs a new ring this year. Hers is the weighted type. She's had it since I was a tadpole, so it's a good one.

dscrick
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep, the All american is the best. If you are looking to save a buck you can find them on Ebay

LowKey
03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
It's really hard to find the weighted type these days. With the gauge, what happens when there is no one around to test it? While some places still have County Extension Agents (who can do the test), they're getting harder to find around this area.

your_comforting_company
03-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Maw said she thought it was called "american standard" or something like that. Guess they've been around long enough to say they must be good ones.

Rick
03-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Weighted ones are pretty easy to find. All American has both the weight and the gauge.

LowKey
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Not if you are just looking around at local hardware, kitchen, or cooking stores. They are all gauged. And kinda flimsy too. At least around here. American Standard is easy to find. Online. I think Presto makes one too but I'm not too keen on those.

Rick
03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
That is soooo like you. Looking for love in all the wrong places.

canid
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
an all american is an expensive solution, but one that will last forever. those things are bomb-proof. all metal seals are a nice thing to have.

i have an 18qt presto and i love it. for the price and size, it's wonderful. perfectly suitable for quart jars and i've put it to just about every use you can imagine, from distilling water [with some modification] to sterilizing instruments and culture media to making roasts and canning food.