PDA

View Full Version : Emmrod - How I got back into fishing.

vahtryn
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I didn't fish for close to a decade. It was something my mother and I did growing up. Once she passed I couldn't really bring myself to do it anymore. That all changed this past year when I picked up an Emmrod system. Yeah I know it's a bit pricey but for what it is I'm absolutely in love. I bought the Emmrod dual-all system. It comes with three rods, one handle and you supply the reels you want. I <3 this to no end.

https://www.emmrod.com/bigproduct.cfm?id=ACF22F.jpg

I've never fly fished so I don't use that rod, but it is on my list of things to learn how to do. I've surf fished with this, I've also done some pier fishing and some trout fishing in a river. It's so light and easy to carry in my pack that it's always there even if I know I won't do some fishing.

I even built several small tackle boxes based on what I'm going to do. Just for tossing a line into the water it's wonderful. Now I wouldn't be going after those several hundred pound tuna with one but for troweling for smaller fish it would work wonders.

Anyone else use these? Opinions?

Rick
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I've not used one but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

MidWestMat
02-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Ouch! They are definitely a bit rich. Not working man's gear. Does look like a handy easily packable setup though.

Winnie
02-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Ooo, might have to do more investigating.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I love to fly fish, I go mostly to West PA and come back with trout, bass and crappie. I have never been skunked when fly fishing. If you can count to 4, you can fly fish (seriously, it is that simple). Technique, regardless who teaches you, will come on its own natural time for each individual.

If you are up around Ohio much, feel free to contact me, I will gladly show ya how and give you some lessons. I use to be the fly casting instructor for Pine Lake Trout Club and found some real easy ways to start and keep interested.

If you read a lot..... Joan Wulff has some of the better instructional books out there (maybe get em at the library or for the cheap on ebay), her books, videos and books on tape are great. If you are a beginner, stay far away from Orvis and other big names, their stuff just costs a lot and ALL fly fishing equipment works the same, a $25 rod works the exact same as a $800 rod and that is just the plain ole truth. You can easily use ONE (1) style of fly all year long, just change in and out of sizes. I have used a "March Brown," style in sizes from 16 - 24 (bigger the number, smaller the fly) all year long. They just work well regardless of where I have been. You can either BUY or MAKE your flies. Cabelas has a real nice portable vise and tools all in one folding box (less than $40 total), the materials to make March Browns would come to about $15 and you will get about 200 flies from that. If you store bought 200 flies, they would be about $1.50 each. So, I usually just tie my own while watching TV.

Learning to tie flies is best done via a good video, also avail at local libraries.

I would say the hardest thing to do is to "READ a Stream," if you are going for trout, it is literally a spooky science. Otherwise, fish like bass, bluegill, crappie and even some smaller muskey and pike can be easily caught by fly fishing. If you pond or lake fish, fly fishing will gain you fish when "LIVE" bait is doing nothing.

The most important part of your gear is the "Fly Line,"... you line goes like this... On the reel is backing (reg cotton or braided fishing line), then your actual fly line (so many out there, just find the one you like), Cabelas and Bass Pro as well as some Gander Mountain stores have lines rigged up already for you to try. I like using Wulff Tri-Taper line in size 4/5 weight for ease of casting. Then your leader (reg fishing line from 5lb to 20lb) and then finally the "Tippet." The tippet is the most important as far as strength goes, either buy pre-made tippets (Orvis, 3M and Sage are the best known) or make your own. Making your own will require 4 sizes of very good mono filament fishing line. 9 foot long total, start with your heaviest and make it 3', then 3' of the next and then finally 3' of your smallest line... end with the strength of line you want to catch and fight fish with. I usually fish with 5lb or less on the end of the tippet.

Here is a great article on fly lines and how to set em up. http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/first_setup/

All in all, if you stay away from the fly fishing elite (snobs) and use your head when you buy gear, it will be a very enjoyable sport for you. If you flyfish for trout, it will get you out the the cleanest and usually far back in the woods/streams without other people around, as trout can only live and breed in CLEAN water.

Please feel free to contact me if you need some help, I am more than happy to help someone new to the sport. It is somewhat daunting and confusing at first because so many use HIGH FALUTIN terms, but a few trips out to practice (even on the lawn), a lil reading/video and actually out fly fishing on water will get you hooked (no pun intended).

Have fun and ask questions......

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/ohiohikingstick/Rainbow1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/ohiohikingstick/Brooktrout1.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/ohiohikingstick/browntrout1.jpg

Rick
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Try flyfishing for Red Ear and Bluegill. The are built to fight.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
That is very true Rick, especially when you use light gear..... red ear fight like larger bass. When I know I am just going for pan fish, I use a 1980's Orvis 1 weight (Using 2lb test line as the tippet) and small hardy silent check reel.... amazing fights those pan fish give. I usually use smaller fly poppers made from deer hair.