PDA

View Full Version : Score...I think

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I found a deal on these and picked them up. They are brand new. They have lids of the pour spout variety, not sure if they'll do good for food storage. I was hoping I can use them in some capacity for food storage. I got 10 of them. This is my first effort greater than just over stocking the pantry and freezer. Any pointers?

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN2967.jpg

Rick
02-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Where did you get them? That might tell you if they are food grade. Is there a name on the bottom of the bucket or on the lid?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I got them from a chemical company owner. The name on the lid is nampac, the lid says 0234 series cover. The bucket has lots of stuff on the bottom the recycle triangle has a 2 in it with the letters HDPE underneath, might be bucket 55121 also says NRC 90 MIL, I am guessing it is the thickness? What am I looking for there are several coded numbers underneath the bucket.

randyt
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
food grade, would a clean drywall mud bucket be food grade? ever see those lids that replace the snap lids with a screw top lid?

Rick
02-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I just thought it might have a company name on it and you could find out that way. HDPE is a porous plastic. I do know that. It may or may not be food grade depending on whether it was made with virgin plastic or recycled plastic and whether any color additives were added. At least that's my understanding. I would think you could pack food in mylar bags and use the bucket for protection. You can get the bags in a 6 gallon size.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
food grade, would a clean drywall mud bucket be food grade? ever see those lids that replace the snap lids with a screw top lid?

I have read about the lids on forums. I guess it depends what is going in it. If it is in a bag the bucket is just extra? I have alot to learn on this subject.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I just thought it might have a company name on it and you could find out that way. HDPE is a porous plastic. I do know that. It may or may not be food grade depending on whether it was made with virgin plastic or recycled plastic and whether any color additives were added. At least that's my understanding. I would think you could pack food in mylar bags and use the bucket for protection. You can get the bags in a 6 gallon size.

That is what I was thinking was the Mylar bags, but since I have the company name (nampac). I will try my google skills just to see?

crashdive123
02-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I would definitely recommend the Mylar bags and O2 absorbers. That will solve two potential problems - 1 - whether or not they are food grade, and 2 - keep the light out since the buckets are translucent. Of course storing them in a dark place also solves #2.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I would definitely recommend the Mylar bags and O2 absorbers. That will solve two potential problems - 1 - whether or not they are food grade, and 2 - keep the light out since the buckets are translucent. Of course storing them in a dark place also solves #2.

Thanks Crash, From what I have read that is what is done. So if I had opaque and food grade that would be ideal?

crashdive123
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't know that it matters all that much to be honest. I store rice in two liter soda bottles (among other things). The bottles are kept in a closet and seem just fine. The rice I'm currently using has been stored for quite a few years and I cannot tell the difference.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know that it matters all that much to be honest. I store rice in two liter soda bottles (among other things). The bottles are kept in a closet and seem just fine. The rice I'm currently using has been stored for quite a few years and I cannot tell the difference.

Kind of what I am thinking Crash, Look at the variety of packaging our food comes in. I know they have never had anything in them. I know they are chemical resistant to a degree. What are the key basics to store? I know I want to do salt, sugar, rice and beans? What else can I store long term?

crashdive123
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Here's what I'm storing in my buckets (most are from Home Depot). I do not store food directly in the buckets, but rather use mylar or leave in original packaging. White rice, brown rice, lima beans, navy beans, split peas, pinto beans, barley, black beans, great northern beans, lentils, red beans, pasta, flour, salt, sugar, dehydrated food (Mountain House camp food), MRE's, coffee, boullion, large variety of spices.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Here's what I'm storing in my buckets (most are from Home Depot). I do not store food directly in the buckets, but rather use mylar or leave in original packaging. White rice, brown rice, lima beans, navy beans, split peas, pinto beans, barley, black beans, great northern beans, lentils, red beans, pasta, flour, salt, sugar, dehydrated food (Mountain House camp food), MRE's, coffee, boullion, large variety of spices.

Thanks Crash! I was on pretty much the same page. Where do you buy most of this in bulk?

crashdive123
02-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I normally don't buy bulk. I look for sales and pick up a few extras here and there. When I get enough to fill another container I put it up. When I go to the Commissary (Navy food store) the prices are generally a little cheaper on most things so I'll just alot $10 or $20 for "stored food". Slow and steady wins the race.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I normally don't buy bulk. I look for sales and pick up a few extras here and there. When I get enough to fill another container I put it up. When I go to the Commissary (Navy food store) the prices are generally a little cheaper on most things so I'll just alot $10 or $20 for "stored food". Slow and steady wins the race.

Makes sense to me! I have been trying to that but it get's consumed if it is in the pantry.

crashdive123
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
The "extras" I buy don't go into the panty. On a recent trip they had some killer sales, so I bought more than I intended. 25 lb bags of long grain rice were $3 and Betty Crocker bread mixes (cranberry, pumpkin and coffee cake) were on sale for 10 cents a box. The rice was put up right away (I use FIFO) and the bread mixes were mostly put up. The ones that weren't, have been really good.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
The "extras" I buy don't go into the panty. On a recent trip they had some killer sales, so I bought more than I intended. 25 lb bags of long grain rice were $3 and Betty Crocker bread mixes (cranberry, pumpkin and coffee cake) were on sale for 10 cents a box. The rice was put up right away (I use FIFO) and the bread mixes were mostly put up. The ones that weren't, have been really good.

I was wondering about buying in bulk...It would seem the turnover might not be as high at the store as smaller pacckages + the benefit of smaller packages. I am catching on.

Camp10
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Nice score CS! I love having buckets around! I also store toilet paper and socks and underwear in them up at camp..things mice eat. Oh, It looks like your out of Mountian Dew!

KrisKhaos
02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
I might be pointing out the obvious..... If you are going to store food in buckets or totes (like for can goods), be sure to date them. Rice can store for decades without worry, but MRE's, Dehydrated food, can goods, etc. do have dates. (Just a word of advice, products with the coded dates generally store for YEARS, but decoding the date often requires a call to the company.)

I've been storing can goods and other extended shelf life products for some time, checking the dates will prevent waste.

#2 Recyclable Plastic is used for a variety of things, and for every 5gal bucket I've ever seen/own/used.... Is made of #2 HDPE plastic. I'm def no expert, however I don't think knowing if the plastic is virgin or not I don't think makes no real difference. If I remember correctly the #2 indicates that it's continually recyclable, so for one gas fuel container can be reprocessed to store pickles for your local restaurant. (As the case where all mine generally come from, which I use to store everything from rice, cat food, duck feed, to even a lye leeching bucket.)

I don't think this plastic is porous, at least, I've stored water in them for extended amounts of time. I think the most important fact would be - have they been used for any chems since you got them? - kinda question. :)

Here is wikipedia's entry on the plastic. I didn't read it, but I could not remember if 2 liter bottles was #2 or #4 plastic. (Now I don't think it is either. lol)

Wikipedia - Number 2 Plastic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_2_plastic)

KrisKhaos
02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Cool man. Nice find. #2 plastic is typical of every 5gal bucket I've acquired, and read it's used for everything from milk jugs to gas tanks. If it's never stored chems, then you are in biz. ;)

Whatever you store tho, date it. I've been storing misc. food for nearly a decade now and it's never fun to toss out food that's beyond it's shelf life. Speaking of which, box/can goods that have unreadable code dates store forever, but I still advise to call the company and get the real date (and how long it's good for after) so you can mark your buckets and tubs. :)

Rick
02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
KK - The #2 just indicates that it is made of HDPE. If the bucket has an added dye or has been manufactured using recycled materials then the FDA will not allow it to be labled "food grade". That's really the only difference that I know of. It doesn't mean it's better or worse it just means they won't allow the label.

HDPE is considered slightly porous. That means that it is gas permeable.