PDA

View Full Version : Using a compass and aerial printouts

corndog-44
01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
In the long run I know my local backwoods routes and local swamps like a urbanite knows city streets and have no need for a compass. Would I go very far into a strange wetland or woods without a compass ? I probably could, but really would rather not. A compass is much faster & more accurate than any other method and I have used them on occasion and glad to have one. I have been on searches for namely experienced but lost hunters who should have brought a compass and wished they had. I will never venture into an unknown swamp or woods without one. The best tool I have are web pages which feature aerial photos of swamps and woods There's enough open lakes and towns so that a printout makes navigation much easier. I know many will say that's one of those modern crutches that real woodsmen shouldn't need but the best skill I ever learned from my experience is to use any and every tool avialable that makes your endeavor into the wilderness safer and simpler. There's no shame in using a compass or aerials in a strange environment.

Rick
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I totally agree. I went out yesterday to an area I've never been in. I used Google Earth to locate a likely spot I wanted to go to and downloaded a topo map of the area. I called my wife and gave her the GPS reading on where the truck was parked and what heading I would be trekking off in. Using my compass, I found the spot with no trouble. Having seen the area from the satellite view made traveling there much easier.

tfisher
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I also use aerial maps and compass extensively. I would rather have an aerial than a topo anyway. I used both topos and aerials when I taught navigation on a military base.

I think the students got a better understanding with the aerials.

Tony uk
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Ive always carryd a topo with suplimental aerial photos to help with navigation. I ALWAYS carry a compass in the bush despite the other natural ways (Shadowless stick, Shadow stick, north star,....)