PDA

View Full Version : Site downloading files to my computer?!?!

your_comforting_company
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Every page I visit, I get that security bar at the top that says "IE blocked this site from downloading files to your computer"

I downloaded one against my better judgement and this is what it was:

.app_content_140511002640400 a.uiLinkSubtle { display: none; }
.app_content_140511002640400 a.UIImageBlock_ICON_Image { display: none; }

#bootloader_7U5M_ { height: 42px; }

It opened in notepad.. I certainly hope this "#bootloader" bit is not a virus....:scared:

Pal334
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Curious you should mention that. Starting yesterday, I got the same thing. Perhaps Chris can address this?

I had it happen here at work, and one of the IT techies checked, there is nothing downloading or uploading, at least on my machine

Rick
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
There are a number of times that you'll see that prompt assuming you are using the original settings.

If a website tries to install an ActiveX control on your computer or run an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner.
If a website tries to open a pop-up window.
If a website tries to download a file to your computer.
If a website tries to run active content on your computer.
If your security settings are below recommended levels.
If you access an intranet webpage, but have not turned on intranet address checking.
If you started Internet Explorer with add-ons disabled.
If you need to install an updated ActiveX control or add-on program.
The webpage address can be displayed with native language letters or symbols but you don't have the language installed.

I think the bootloader is a download manager.

Justin Case
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
I dont think its a virus,,, But I am not totally sure,, I havent used IE for years, If I were you I would use Firefox,, its MUCH safer IMO,, you can get it here > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

You will also be able to import all your bookmarks from IE.. If you want to stick with IE, I would visit their support site http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=%22IE+blocked+this+site+from+do wnloading+files+to+your+computer%22&catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=r

EDIT, I see it has happened to others too,, There may be an update/fix,, Microsoft auto update happens on tuesdays, you can always run it now from your start menu and see if there is a patch,, http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

Pal334
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
It is strange though. I have only had this happen within the last two or so days. Previously, visits to the forum were normal. Could it have to do with some sort of update here in the forum?

canid
02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
all sites download files to your computer. that is how a web browser works. generally these are html documents, style sheets and cookies which the browser interprets into a Document Object to render for display.

the lines you posted are harmless CSS. the first two are class selectors and the last is an id selector.

they are used to control styling of elements in html for the page which includes them (the one you where trying to open at the time).

i'm thinking internet explorer is bugging when it tries to download the style sheets following an update in the first place.

hunter63
02-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I have had the same problem the last couple of days, and have been exchanging e-mails with Chris.

For some reason it stopped today?????? so far.
Last e-mail was "I don't know.", which I replied to, that it seemd to be gone?

Anyway it's only on this site that I get the message (or did?)

Rick
02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
My guess would be an update in IE. You probably have automatic updates turned on in IE and they've loaded an update in the last couple of days.

crashdive123
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
all sites download files to your computer. that is how a web browser works. generally these are html documents, style sheets and cookies which the browser interprets into a Document Object to render for display.

the lines you posted are harmless CSS. the first two are class selectors and the last is an id selector.

they are used to control styling of elements in html for the page which includes them (the one you where trying to open at the time).

i'm thinking internet explorer is bugging when it tries to download the style sheets following an update in the first place.

I don't know what you just said, but it sure sounded purdy.

canid
02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
>.app_content_140511002640400 a.uiLinkSubtle { display: none; }

means that every anchor [usually a link] element in the document which has it's class attribute set to 'uiLinkSubtle', and is a child of an element who's class is 'app_content_140511002640400', do not display it in the document, or don't do so yet.

>.app_content_140511002640400 a.UIImageBlock_ICON_Image { display: none; }

meas the same thing, but where the anchor's class is 'UIImageBlock_ICON_Image'

'UIImageBlock_ICON_Image' clearly refers to an image on an interactive page (UI of course suggesting user interface) and 'UiLinkSubtle' would be a hyperlink on the page.

>#bootloader_7U5M_ { height: 42px; }

means that the element on the page who's name attribute is set to 'bootloader_7U5M' should be set to a height of 42 pixels on the screen.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-04-2011, 01:14 PM
ditto here, opened up note pad and all my bells and whistles went off... in the end, it is not a virus, just an auto up date....if you have firewalls up, alarms will sound as it has an auto pass to slip through the firewall.

canid
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
that's just not the way firewalls work. firewalls simply direct network traffic at the packet level. they are not involved in analysis of stream content. that is the domain of anti-malware software such as an antivirus, browser protection software, etc. depending on the case.

Justin Case
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Hmm, I am wondering if it could have something to do with RSS syndication settings ?

canid
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
maybe mimetype handling error?

Justin Case
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Everything seems to be loading fine,, http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums//&id=3886463

OhioGrizzLapp
02-04-2011, 03:45 PM
* Holds my Etch-a-Sketch upside down, shakes it a lil and it all goes away.......

Rick
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM

We have mimes on the forum? I've never heard that before. (get it? Mimes? Heard that before? I slay myself)

your_comforting_company
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
It's not doing it now, so either Chris fixed it, or whatever. I ran a full scan to make sure it wasn't a virus.

All is good and I think it was "auto-debugging" code for the page layout. All is good now.

hunter63
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Just got another e-mail from Chris, and i let him know that it's not doing it, but he still dodn't know what the problem was.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Mine is still doing it when I jump from one page to another in this site.

canid
02-05-2011, 10:29 PM
nobody have this issue under chrome? how about under linux/unix/osx browser versions?

it seems to involve a failure in the browser to apply external style sheets to the page being viewed, and seem to be happening to people using IE and Firefox at least, but not everybody, and doesn't seem to be version dependent, or at least confined to just one recent update. it also seems to be server and server version independent, so it can't be an apache or IIS mimetype misconiguration.

i'm beginning to wonder if it's a side effect of a browser malware accidentally breaking CSS settings. just a speculation.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM
nobody have this issue under chrome? how about under linux/unix/osx browser versions?

it seems to involve a failure in the browser to apply external style sheets to the page being viewed, and seem to be happening to people using IE and Firefox at least, but not everybody, and doesn't seem to be version dependent, or at least confined to just one recent update. it also seems to be server and server version independent, so it can't be an apache or IIS mimetype misconiguration.

i'm beginning to wonder if it's a side effect of a browser malware accidentally breaking CSS settings. just a speculation.

I think I'm about the only one using Chrome Canid. No I haven't had any problems at all.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-06-2011, 07:34 AM
I am running IE 7, does not happen under other vB sites. It does not happen when I hit home button, otherwise comes up on all page to page changes. Started a few days ago.

Chris
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM

That would be my guess, and the fact that it isn't happening to everyone (And the fact that I've changed nothing on the site in the last week) makes me think it is browsers... and possibly a bad update pushed from Microsoft.

That... or... the people experiencing it are infected with malware.

Chris
02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Found it:

http://bugs.developers.facebook.net/show_bug.cgi?id=14971

It was a bug in Facebook, the code imported from them to do the little facebook integrations was throwing errors in some browser versions. Apparently they fixed it.

If it still happens for you it might be cached, try hitting refresh or deleting temporary internet files.

crashdive123
02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure what all of these computer lingo terms mean, but I'm using Internet Explorer 8 with Windows Vista Home Premium and have not experienced any of the problems that are being discussed.

crashdive123
02-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Ahhhh. I don't do Facebook.

Sometimes it's good to be an analog guy living in a digital world.

OhioGrizzLapp
02-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I did a full cache dump and restarted and still have the problem. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to facebook. This is the only site I am having the issue with.

hunter63
02-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure what all of these computer lingo terms mean, but I'm using Internet Explorer 8 with Windows Vista Home Premium and have not experienced any of the problems that are being discussed.

I'm using IE 8 Vista as well, don't do face book, and did have that problem for a while, but seemed to have stopped?

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Windows 7 64bit, Firefox,, adblock, and i do facebook but do not use the FB connect log on here,, I have not seen this issue either,, all is working well for me.

canid
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
that facebook connect feature is an xss disaster waiting to happen.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
02-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Well I do use Facebook, but I use Google Chrome for my browser. I have not experienced any problems at all with the site, so it must be a combination of browser and what Chris said.

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 11:52 AM
that facebook connect feature is an xss disaster waiting to happen.

I agree,, It also makes it impossible for Admin to trace IP addresses,

I sometimes share stuff to FB, but I use "Add This",,, it works from any web page,

Works Great ! http://www.addthis.com/tools

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 12:08 PM
I just logged in with ie 9 beta, everything works fine with this browser also,, fyi.

Justin Case
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Chrome works fine for me too.

Chris
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
People who use facebook connect can still be banned, ip addresses are still logged, they just don't need to confirm their email address really. The accounts are also sandboxed.