PDA

View Full Version : Survival tips

wildermonkey
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
so i guess this could just be a topic with survival tips in it like: follow the big dippers handle to get to the north star if you dont have a compass... just anything usefull

owl_girl
05-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum Wildermonkey. As far as survival tips go you may have to be more specific considering this entire websites about survival tips. Is there any thing in particular you want to know?

the edge
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
in most cases a willow tree is near water

the edge
05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
also try to always use the least enegy consuming way to doing things

wolf
05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
well theres alot of tips i know and one is never eat polar bear liver becaus i has lethal concentrations of vitamin A

whitefang
05-26-2007, 06:44 PM
hi people just join, lam whitefang

owl_girl
05-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Greetings Whitefang:D

whitefang
05-27-2007, 04:25 PM
thanks for for hi, Iam from texas. whitefang:)

wolf
05-27-2007, 11:01 PM
What the Bloody, im from texas too.

Danoon
05-29-2007, 12:05 AM
so i guess this could just be a topic with survival tips in it like: follow the big dippers handle to get to the north star if you dont have a compass... just anything usefull

Just so no one gets confused... you follow the two stars on the far side of the bucket to the north star, not the handle! Its a common mistake that will get you really lost.

marberry
05-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Lmfao , i live in northern manitoba (where polar bears are) you have any idea how hard and illegal it is to kill one? much less eat it ? lol dont bothere with polar bears if your trapped up here , seals are much beter.

wolf
05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Lmfao , i live in northern manitoba (where polar bears are) you have any idea how hard and illegal it is to kill one? much less eat it ? lol dont bothere with polar bears if your trapped up here , seals are much beter.

...It was just a tip

RobertRogers
06-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Survival whistles are underrated - get one!

aviator survivalist
06-09-2007, 02:31 AM
millipedes are good to eat and have alot of protein (more than beef), but just make sure its a millipede

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:MdUEhCj6n-yBRM:http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/sirrobhitch.suffolk/key/images/invertebrates/millipede.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/sirrobhitch.suffolk/key/images/invertebrates/millipede.jpg&imgrefurl=http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/sirrobhitch.suffolk/key/milliped.htm&h=244&w=301&sz=18&hl=en&start=7&tbnid=MdUEhCj6n-yBRM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmillipede%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl %3Den)
and not a centipede, they can give a bad bite
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:EWBbrwlNCBVIlM:http://www.rvt.com/~lucas/school/centipede.JPG (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rvt.com/~lucas/school/centipede.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.rvt.com/~lucas/school/arthro.html&h=336&w=496&sz=13&hl=en&start=16&tbnid=EWBbrwlNCBVIlM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcentipede%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl %3Den)

Raymearsisgod
06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I onced got a good fire going using hair from my head and other parts of my body, Everything was drenched but my body hair was dry and in no time at all I had a roaring fire.

Thanks

Raymearsisgod

Raymearsisgod
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I thought Polar bears had nasty worms which if you eat thier meat start to devour your stomach any truth to this?

Tony uk
06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
I have some tips

1.Never eat if there is no water available
2.Do not eat anything just because you see animals eatting it, use the edibility test to make sure and even then be carefull
3.People in Deserts, Jungles and so on mostly live near watter so if you follow a stream there is a good chance of finding people
4.Look before you leap, always be carefull where you put your hands and feet
5.never drink water unless you are about 90% sure its clean and always boil before use
6.All birds eggs are edible if you fully cook them
7.For most diseases you might contract in a Jungle there is for most a cure there aswell
8.Learning from books or videos is no subistue for going out on a professional coruse
9.The maximum time anyone under normal surcumstances can hold there breath is 4 mins so do not try and dive under very deep objects
10.The higher up you go the faster you become dehydrated so always drink more the higher you go

i hope they are usefull

the edge
06-14-2007, 09:13 PM
if your in the desert some signs that could help you are when you see bees because most often a bee wont fly 3 miles away from there nest and bees need water and watcxh the direction they go to find water

spiritman
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Almost all blossoms are edible, over 90%. don't ask me where I learned that, but you can look it up for more specifics/accuracy. never eat them without testing though. Just for fun you should try a tulip, the red ones with yellow near the center are the sweetest. don't ask me how I know that either.

SOE digital
07-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Here's a quick tip:

Don't put more energy into getting food than you're going to get from the food.
So don't spend a whole day trying to catch one little animal if you don't think you'll suppliment the calories, and then some.

Sarge47
07-09-2007, 07:44 PM
well theres alot of tips i know and one is never eat polar bear liver becaus i has lethal concentrations of vitamin A

And just how do you propose to get the liver away from the Polar Bear in the 1st place? ;>)

Sarge47
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Most peple know that if you point the hour hand of an analoge watch directly at the sun that halfway between that and 12 o'clock is due South, in this hemisphere, but fail to realize that if you have a digital watch, just draw an analoge watch face on either a pice of paper or in the dirt with the current time drawn in and you can use that to get your direction. (Attn. Aussies & Kiwi's, it would be "North" in your hemisphere mates!)

woodzman
07-10-2007, 08:05 PM
ALWAYS carry and know how to use a compass. Unless you get hurt and can't travel, or are in a very remote area, chances are you wont need anything else.;)

Sarge47
07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
ALWAYS carry and know how to use a compass. Unless you get hurt and can't travel, or are in a very remote area, chances are you wont need anything else.;)

Except for maybe a good Topo map, right? ;>)

woodzman
07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Except for maybe a good Topo map, right? ;>)

Absolutely right.

MesquiteCharlie
07-17-2007, 12:11 AM
you live in TX? where at?

Rocky789
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
One big thing is always be on the look for anything even if you really need another thing, for example if you are out collecting materials for your shelter and you see a branch that would make a really good tool or a little bit of food go ahead and pick it up.

woodzman
07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Use caution and don't take chances. It's bad enough being lost, don't add an injury to your problems.

FrankyFourFingers
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
You can put a small stick in the ground and mark the top of the shadow, then wait about 20-30 minutes and you will see the shadow has moved. Mark the top of the new Shadow and then connect the 2 markers making a straight line. This gives you a fairly accurate east-west line.

If you have a needle or other magnetizable metal, you can set it on a leaf ( or any other floating surface) in a pool of water and it will automatically point north ( make sure you dont go south instead)

Or you can just use the rising sun method that everyone should know by now ( Rises in the east, sets in the west....at least in this hemisphere).

All of these methods have been used in one survival show or another so you probably have seen them before, but i figured I would post them just in case.

FrankyFourFingers
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
If it is getting late in the day, and you still need to built a shelter, fire, gather wood etc, you are going to need to know how much daylight you have. Assuming you dont have a watch on, you can use the fist method.

Hold your fist out in front of you with the bottom of your fist lined up with the horizon line. Then, continue putting one fist on top of each other until the top of your fist 'hits' the bottom of the Suns outline. Each fist count should be approximately one hour (it varies with the size of your fist and arm length, but an hour is pretty close).....so if you stack 5 fists to get to the sun, you have about 5 hours left of sunlight to build that shelter, fire and collect wood. If you wanted to get really techical, you could even break your fist down into 15 minute icrements by counting the knuckles ( your fist has 4 knuckles, each would represent 15 minutes)

survival scout
07-22-2007, 08:36 AM
please be more specific are you looking for ways to find north?

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
to spirit man

please do not give advise if you do not have any experience that is how people get sick injured or killed .

the best advise is seek a professional and get dirttime nothing beats your own experince

spiritman
07-24-2007, 11:34 PM
to spirit man

please do not give advise if you do not have any experience that is how people get sick injured or killed .

the best advise is seek a professional and get dirttime nothing beats your own experince

Just so ya know war eagle 69 you totally contradicted yourself by saying seek a professional for dirt time to get your own experience. Have you heard the term borrowed experience? Guess not, but thats what your getting when you seek out the professional. Nothing against the professional, I prefer to pretty much know what to expect when going into any new situation so i would try and get all of the borrowed experience I can get. Passing on borrowed experience is really what this site is all about no?

HOWEVER maybe I can redeem myself for you, where did I give bad advice? Maybe it needs some clarification for you.

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I've got some tips:

If you don't know what you're doing - don't go there (I stay out of deserts because I don't feel I know enough about them to get by)

Remember the rule of threes:
you can live-
3 seconds without your brain (about the time it would take you to fall down)
3 minutes without air
3 hours without proper shelter/clothing
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

And last - when in doubt, don't