PDA

View Full Version : Spear Foreshaft of Elk or Deer?

Rick
01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I was reading a National Geographic article in which tools over 31,000 years old had been discovered. Included were spear foreshafts of rhinoceros horn and mammoth tusk. Is there any reason spears couldn't be fashioned using Elk or Deer antler as a foreshaft? Thoughts?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/01/0114_040114_siberianhumans.html

Elkchsr
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
From all accounts... No...

Antler and bone are the main source of shafts when stone is hard to find

One of the reasons more of these artifacts aren't found is they deteriorate faster than stone, so have a tendency to disappear over time

In addition, you just can't get them as sharp as stone (obviously) so there was less tendency to use them as weapons

FVR
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Deer tines make great small game arrow heads. I'd rather break a deer tine than a knapped arrowhead when I miss that rabbit.

Also, horns are made of hair, hair lasts a long time as does ivory. Antler, does not last as not only does it decay, but rodents like mice, squirrels, and chipmunks eat it. Ever find a shed with teeth marks, critters.

Jay
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Also, horns are made of hair, hair lasts a long time as does ivory. Antler, does not last as not only does it decay, but rodents like mice, squirrels, and chipmunks eat it. Ever find a shed with teeth marks, critters.

Also porcupines! They seem to gnaw just about everything over here.

Rick
01-16-2008, 09:03 AM
If I recall correctly, horn is made of keratin, the same thing our fingernails are made of. Antlers, on the other hand, are made of bone (once they harden). Wouldn't that make a decent point and have a reasonable amount of strength?

I really don't know, that's why I'm asking. I don't hunt large game so I don't have any history or experience to work with .

canid
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
horn is rather elastic and is more prone to bend than to break. it becomes more elastic as it is heated so the friction of an impact would cause it to bend or dull.

antler is more riged than horn and unless boiled, becomes more brittle as it is heated. it seems to hold a better edge and i would suppose it to be better suited for points.

FVR
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Yup, keratin the protein that makes up hair, horns, hooves and so much more. I suggest to many bowyers who email me about gemsbok horn bows, to wipe on a horse hoof treatment to enable the horns to be a bit more flexible.

canid
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
i'll have to keep that in mind if ever i make such a bow. i love hide and hoof glue, so it sounds like it would be a fun project.