PDA

View Full Version : Braintanning Videos

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
I recently purchased some video editing software so I'm in the process of revamping the videos into shorter, slightly edited versions. Also these are a lower quality wmv which should help with file downloads while not sacrificing too much detail. I may go back later and redo the videos in the instruction thread (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?14295-Braintanning-the-simple-(or-overcomplicated)-way) with these, depending on how they look.

This is the whole set from preparing ashes to the finished hide. I'll break each step into a seperate post in this thread for convenience.

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Sifting the charcoal and debris from ashes, mixing with water, and floating the egg to check pH. This is caustic stuff!
fV5IdXR96A8

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Removing the meat and fat from a fresh hide so that it can be soaked in a wood ash solution. A few tools.s2Nd7_4Jnck

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Bucking serves the purposes of dissolving the hydrogen bonds and removing the "ground substance", and causing the hide to swell, making removal of the grain much easier.

h8Pc3Cs9-z0

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
This is arguably the most labor intensive part of the whole process. Hopefully these two videos show the scraping well enough that you can see the grain and fiber network seperating. Basically you use your dull tool

Part 1
_VsYPMUsK0U

Part 2
a1huwwz_p1g

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
The hide should be rinsed several times after bucking and scraping. I did make video of rinsing, because it's basically just leaving the hide in running water. Wringing the water out will be covered later.

This video covers braining, after rinsing and wringing.
As you work the hide into the brains, you can feel it transform. It feels much different than a hide that has only been soaked in water.

YKe2Z8Kdk20

Wringing

6" over the back (toward you) then 6" back over the front to make a tube. Roll it up, twist clockwise as far as you can, then counter-clockwise, then rotate the hide over the pole 1/4 turn, and repeat. DON'T PUT YOUR FACE OR OTHER SENSITIVE PARTS NEAR A TORQUED HIDE! IT HURTS!!

INV4KlOqnYw

Breaking / Opening

zt0cJY5iU_U

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Once the skin is opened back up so that it is stretchy, it is worked soft from wet to dry. Keeping the fibers moving while it dries is crucial in creating soft buckskin.

l-_dQEs42wo

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Since I had to go to sleep, the hide got a little stiff overnight, so I rebrained without smoking (not highly recommended) and continued to soften.

urFqPe-uFTc

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Finishing your buckskin with smoke from punky (rotten) wood

Pi66upZuySA

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Finished! reserved

your_comforting_company
01-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks Rick. If you think of any tag words that need to be added, please do so!

Pocomoonskyeyes3
01-26-2011, 01:15 AM
I see you're not wasting any time getting busy! Must be a good program, You have already done up to bucking!

your_comforting_company
01-26-2011, 01:51 AM
It's really very easy to use and intuitive. click here, drag that, drop this, type here... good stuff.
I'm reducing file sizes significantly too.

If any of the details don't show well enough, I can even take a HD snapshot and post pics in this or the instructional thread, so if you need better images, let me know!!