PDA

View Full Version : Gore tex jacket and Pants-score, maybe?

hunter63
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Question for you vets.

Been doing a little "shopping" and came across a surplus "Parka, Cold weather, camouflage" .....That's what it says on the Mil. tag. Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390248444330

Being sold as Gore tex, not sure if it is, but seems to be water proof, so far, been raining here.
Got the parka locally for $30 and a pair of gore tex pants for $35.....both were on sale.

Guy didn't have many jackets, and was kinda hoping for a larger size, but the one I found fits over a hooded sweat shirt.

The tag doesn't say Gore tex, so just wondering.......

Trabitha
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
My husband still has his gore tex parka like that from when he was in the military. We've been looking for the pants...35.00 is a GREAT deal!
His tags only say "extended cold weather camo.". Don't know if that helps.

Sarge47
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
The tag doesn't say Gore tex, so just wondering.......It's probably not Gore-Tex. In order to make any clothing with Gore-Tex the company absolutely requires it to be listed. A few years back I called the Gore-Tex company and talked to one of their head guys & found out all of the details about the material; interesting story, BTW. The tag says 100% nylon! There is a phone # to call at the bottom of the page for questions about the item, you might want to give them a jingle 1st. Also don't be afraid to e-mail a question or ask the question right on the page. Getting it in writing is evidence in case they try to mis-lead you. :cool2:

Rick
01-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Here is the information for the manufacturer. You can call them as well.

http://tennessee-apparel-corp.sbcontract.com/profile.htm

hunter63
01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys, Mine does say 100% nylon on the tag.

I guess the guy is having trouble getting them in woodland camo.
He only had 2, the med regular I bought and a small.
Pants he had about 6 pairs couple real small, couple real big sizes.
I'll try the Mfg tomorrow........Still working on the Remington thing, LOL

I know the coat is waterproof, I have been wearing it, in a down pour a couple of times.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-26-2011, 12:52 AM
I found the pants and jacket for sale at the Butte Cafe hanging on the wall for 35 each and looked like a hell of deal so I got them. I was told at the drop zone I got ripped off and he showed me a a couple bins full he was selling the stuff for 15 bucks each. I have just used it a few times and liked it and seem to be same as my DPM Goretex I have used a lot and love it. I should tell you Bill at the drop Zone did not seem to think to highly of it though saying it is water resistent not waterproof. I know it sure beats the civilian stuff I've seen in hunting stores but It does not hold a candle to my Carhart Gortex but the Carhart gear does not come in camo. If black suits you and price does not bother check out Carharts line of rain gear. It's the stuff I use to sleep in the snowbank.

PS my set is big enough to go over 2 down jackets and vest and insulated pants.

Trabitha
01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, Mine does say 100% nylon on the tag.

I guess the guy is having trouble getting them in woodland camo.
He only had 2, the med regular I bought and a small.
Pants he had about 6 pairs couple real small, couple real big sizes.
I'll try the Mfg tomorrow........Still working on the Remington thing, LOL

I know the coat is waterproof, I have been wearing it, in a down pour a couple of times.

I spoke to a load of military and ex-military about this. They all said that if it's surplus it will not read "gore tex" on the tag but "ECWCS" or "Extreme cold weather clothing system", and that is in fact gore-tex.

hunter63
01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Mine say only "Parka, Cold weather, camouflage", as do the pants, so........Maybe not.
Seemed to work well in the down pour last week....Oh, Well