PDA

View Full Version : FIX Bayonets...........

Sourdough
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Well I have never owned a "Bayonet" so I ordered one today, it was shipped today, and should arrive Monday.

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=271

SARKY
01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
I own a couple of dozen, they are all Swiss bayonets that i convert to Renisance daggers. I picked them up for $7.99 each now you can't touch them for less than $20.00 each. It's very good steel, the blades are made by Victorinox.

crashdive123
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
I don't own any bayonets. The older ones hold a certain historical appeal to me, but not something that I've collected.

Winter
01-22-2011, 03:58 AM
"More Ammo!"

The battle cry of the bayonet fighter.

2dumb2kwit
01-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I have a couple mosin bayonet's, but they are just "stickers". The only blade type bayonet that I have is for my Swiss K-31. (The Swiss sure do make some quality stuff.)

Rick
01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Mosin Nagant. 'nuff said.

Camp10
01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
The only one I've got left is a late 40's early 50's for a mauser. Is is such good quality that I've kept it around. I keep thinking I will find a use for it someday.

kyratshooter
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
This knife was origionally an M4 bayonet for the M1 carbine. I rebuilt it in 1970 and it went to some very bad places strapped to my pistol belt. I was never issued a bayonet for combat use. My unit simply did not have them.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc418/lstancliff1/005.jpg

Old GI
01-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I've never owned a bayonet, but I had one on loan for some time.

Speaking of bayonets - Colonel (USA-Ret) Lewis L. Millett, MOH. His nickname was "Bayonet Millett" as a result of his actions in the Korean War when he led a bayonet charge and received the MOH. He was a real character.

Rick
01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I really can't think of many things more terrifying than a bayonet charge. I don't care which side you're on.

Pal334
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Well I have never owned a "Bayonet" so I ordered one today, it was shipped today, and should arrive Monday.

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=271

May I ask why you ordered it?

I had never had the need for one, just curious

Sourdough
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
May I ask why you ordered it?

I had never had the need for one, just curious

Truth: I am trying to get rid of money. And trying to trade U.S. Dollars for anything real/physical and maybe useful in the future. I think paper money and computer recorded money will vanish. And all you will have is things you can touch. Yes, I am whacked in the head. And the child inside of me wants it, and I have learned to appease my inner child.

Pal334
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Truth: I am trying to get rid of money. And trying to trade U.S. Dollars for anything real/physical and maybe useful in the future. I think paper money and computer recorded money will vanish. And all you will have is things you can touch. Yes, I am whacked in the head. And the child inside of me wants it, and I have learned to appease my inner child.

Now that is why I like to ask questions :) and I agree, if it is what you want , then go for it :)

Actually I was wondering , since you do much more "outdoor" and field time than I, if there was something I was missing :)

BUSH
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Good for you, I have an Ontario OKC M10 for my AR-15. The M10 has no serrations, but has a hole to hook to the sheath as a wire cutter. Let your "inner child" have all the fun it can. Besides like a firearm and ammo, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY KNIFES/BAYONETS.

Sourdough
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Now that is why I like to ask questions :) and I agree, if it is what you want , then go for it :)

Actually I was wondering , since you do much more "outdoor" and field time than I, if there was something I was missing :)

NO, my understanding is that as a cutting tool they are useless, relative to nearly every other blade shape. I have been advised they are only useful for sticking things. I do figure to try and spear a King Salmon with it.

Beans
01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
I was 'loaned' one also for over 10 years. I could never get it sharpened so it would cut anything. And that is the reason i stuck, no pun intended, with the K-bar.

The bayonet stayed in the rear with the gear. My reasoning was if I can't cut with it then why carry it.

Rick
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Please send all your money to me. I will dispose of it for you. Paper money and computer money both accepted.

Have you owned money? If so, you may be entitled to compensation. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! You will speak to an experienced money spender about your rights when you contact ME. Don't be lured into contacting some national marketing firm that will screen your money and then refer your money to someone you do not know. Ask them who will be handling your money, and ask to speak to ME. Ask how much money they have handled. Ask them what kind of items they have spent their client's money on. The right money spender is the crucial first step for you in disposing of your money. Please fill out the contact ME form today and you will receive a call from ME, an experienced money spender, within 24 hours. You can also call ME 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 555-SPEND IT ALL.

crashdive123
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Please send all your money to me. I will dispose of it for you. Paper money and computer money both accepted.

Have you owned money? If so, you may be entitled to compensation. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS! You will speak to an experienced money spender about your rights when you contact ME. Don't be lured into contacting some national marketing firm that will screen your money and then refer your money to someone you do not know. Ask them who will be handling your money, and ask to speak to ME. Ask how much money they have handled. Ask them what kind of items they have spent their client's money on. The right money spender is the crucial first step for you in disposing of your money. Please fill out the contact ME form today and you will receive a call from ME, an experienced money spender, within 24 hours. You can also call ME 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 555-SPEND IT ALL.

Hey now!!!!! You can make that part of your signature, but we have a strict no soliciting policy here.:innocent:

Rick
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh, man. Do I have to ban myself?

crashdive123
01-22-2011, 07:43 PM
We'll let it slide this once. Just don't let it happen again. Of course, I will be forced to accept all paper and electronic monies in your stead as a result.

Pal334
01-22-2011, 08:26 PM
NO, my understanding is that as a cutting tool they are useless, relative to nearly every other blade shape. I have been advised they are only useful for sticking things. I do figure to try and spear a King Salmon with it.

IMHO you hit it right on the head: "as a cutting tool they are useless" I personally always did my level best never to get close enough to have to "stick" anything. That "eye ball to eyeball" hostile encounter scenario is in my opinion grossly over rated . :) Now as to being a good King Salmon sticker, I eagerly await your review :)

Sourdough
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
When I hunted in New Zealand, they use dogs to corner wild pigs, and rather than shoot them they stick them with bayonets. It is safer for the dogs.

Pal334
01-22-2011, 08:47 PM
When I hunted in New Zealand, they use dogs to corner wild pigs, and rather than shoot them they stick them with bayonets. It is safer for the dogs.

Now, they are manly men and very considerate of their dogs

hunter63
01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Nagants and SKS's have them, MN stickers make good candle holders, and the SKS uses the blade as a screwdriver, go figure.

Not real high on my personnel list of "cool stuff", but Hey, SD go for it!
You can't take it with you........ideally when they are shoveling the dirt in the hole....They should be counting, three, two, one...Even.....There he's out of money!

Rick
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
ideally when they are shoveling the dirt in the hole....They should be counting, three, two, one...Even.....There he's out of money!

You're not talking about his outhouse are you?

aflineman
01-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I have a couple of them. Don't have any use for them. One is a H&K with some good steel. Very well built and usable as a "normal" knife. The other is an old one for the M16. That one has some sentimental value to me.

rwc1969
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Truth: ... the child inside of me wants it, and I have learned to appease my inner child.

That sounds like the best reason to me.

Old GI
01-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey you vets:

I seem to remember something about a prohibition on sharpening a bayonet. Can't recall what unit, where or why.

ktomes_340
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I own a couple of AK 47 bayonets and an M-8 bayonet also.

Sourdough
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Well it came today, and is well worth the $99.99 I paid. And it looks like it will be more ueful than I thought. I is well made, and wicked sharp.

Pal334
01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Hey you vets:

I seem to remember something about a prohibition on sharpening a bayonet. Can't recall what unit, where or why.

I recall that prohibition also, not sure why. But of course some of the guys ignored it and wasted hours on sharpening, only to get them confiscated.

Pal334
01-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Well it came today, and is well worth the $99.99 I paid. And it looks like it will be more ueful than I thought. I is well made, and wicked sharp.

Just a note of caution. I am not very experienced in these things, but I would advise against running around with that pointy object. also, I am not sure that the bears will be very impressed by being challenged at bayonet point. :) Just saying

klkak
01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I have an orignal PHROBIS III, M9 bayonet that was issued to me in the late 80's.

crashdive123
01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Next thing you know, he'll be arming the geese.

Here are his Naval forces practicing formation maneuvers.

http://www.5cense.com/09/BangTokDon/London/6_geese_trail.jpg

Here they are practicing arial bombing runs.

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Photos/Waterfowl/CACG_hutch-11.jpg

Here they are staging for the next attack.

http://www.gooseandgoldenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Free-range-geese-006.jpg

Training accident.

http://estrip.org/content/users/zobar/0310/Goose0315.png

Sourdough
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Crash, That is funny. God, But I do love geese.

Rick
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
You know, if those geese ever team up with the pygmy cavalry someone is in a heap trouble.

Pal334
01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Well SD if you are going to use a bayonet, perhaps you should investigate if sharpening the geese beaks is doable, just think of them as a force multiplier

Sourdough
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Well SD if you are going to use a bayonet, perhaps you should investigate if sharpening the geese beaks is doable, just think of them as a force multiplier

I got rid of those damn turkeys because they would eat the weakest turkey while it was still alive, vile animals.

Rick
01-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Wow. At some point you'd have gotten down to just one mean turkey gnawing on it's own leg. Yeah, that's pretty vile. I do hope the ducks learned a lesson in that, however.

Sourdough
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I wonder if turkeys kill and eat other meat type things......Like frogs, small snakes....?

hoosierarcher
01-27-2011, 01:14 AM
I wonder if turkeys kill and eat other meat type things......Like frogs, small snakes....?Turkeys are omnivores. They will eat anything they can eat before it eats them. I have seen turkeys here in Indiana on top of a road killed deer with the buzzards.(only once but it was a chilling sight. I never fall asleep in the woods hunting anymore.lol
I used to own a few bayonets, an M4 for an M16A1E1. A Swedish WWI era one for a Mauser(the blade was 16 inches long). A WWII paratroopers M1 carbine triangular cross section bayonet. They were stolen from my storage unit along with 90% of my belongings. A few things I'll say about bayonets and their use. The only branch of service in The United States that issues and practices using them is The USMC. Of all German casualties in WWII in the Battle for Stalingrad every German casualty was killed or wounded with bayonets most on rifles that never had been loaded as the Russian soldiers were not issued ammunition.
Russians mount their bayonets edge up. They do this from the experiences from WWII. It would be wise to pay heed to that advice.

Sourdough
01-27-2011, 01:45 AM
That is interesting information.

Trabitha
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM
We've been looking for the bayonet that fits our old swiss K31. Can't find one that looks decent.
I just want a finished piece...without spending a fortune.

Rick
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
The battle for Stalingrad is an interesting expose' in human conflict. It is without doubt one of the key turning points for WWII and arguably one of the bloodiest battles ever fought. The overwhelming majority of German losses, estimated at 750,000 from the battle, was from Russian artillery. The Russians brought over 13,000 field artillery pieces, including rockets, into the battle along with nearly 900 tanks. The artillery ranged from the 42mm anti tank guns all the way up to the 203mm tracked heavy howitzer. While hand to hand combat was no doubt prolific throughout the close quarters combat that ensued within the city, it was artillery that caused the greatest loss of life for both sides. I would venture to guess that artillery is the primary cause of death in any battle in which it is employed.

In the Road to Stalingrad, the author states that the Russians had 952,000 carbines and over 100,000 light machine guns. At the beginning of the battle, Russian forces actually had more men than weapons so some of the untrained soldiers were sent into battle without weapons. Those that had them, however, also carried ammunition. You can't defend a city by clapping your hands as the movie Enemy at the Gates indicated. You would also be turning over perfectly usable weapons to your enemy and Stalin knew that. Still, the Germans used captured Mosin Nagants so extensively they designated it Gewehr 254(r).

The candle holder on the Nagant also has a square cross section.

It was actually Stalin's Five Year Plan that gave them the massive manufacturing capability to provide the needed arms, ammunition and other supplies that were needed to defeat the Germans and Romanians.