PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Cooker Recipes

aflineman
01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
On one of the local firearms forums that I belong to, the subject of pressure cookers came up. Inevitably favorite recipes came up. So I figured that this place might as well have fun also.

My favorite is braised beef and noodles. I have lost my Grandmother's recipe, and have had to recreate my own. It is close to hers, but has some of my own touches.

1oz dripping or cooking fat
2lb of cubed beef (cheap stringy cuts work well)
1/4 lb of salt pork
1 can Beef with barley soup
1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
1 tablespoon Salad Supreme
Egg noodles
3 cups of water

Melt fat in cooker. Add Kitchen Bouquet. Brown meat in the melted fat/Kitchen Bouquet mixture. Stir in water, soup, and Salad Supreme. Close lid and cook under pressure for about 25 minutes. Slowly release pressure and bring back to a boil. Stir in noodles (Add water if needed and bring to a boil before adding noodles). Cook for about 10-12 minutes more. Serve by itself, or better yet over fresh mashed potatoes.

Rick
01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh, yeah. There's nothing better than starch on starch with a little protein thrown in. LOL.

That does sound really good. I need to pick up a pressure cooker to cook in. I have one for canning but don't cook in one. What size is yours?

Winnie
01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Excuse my ignorance, what is Kitchen Bouquet and Salad Supreme? I'd like to give this a go (though I'd have to make my own Beef and Barley soup, we don't get anything as exotic as that)

crashdive123
01-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Excuse my ignorance, what is Kitchen Bouquet and Salad Supreme? I'd like to give this a go (though I'd have to make my own Beef and Barley soup, we don't get anything as exotic as that)

Kitchen Bouquet is a bottled condiment sauce used as an ingredient in cooking, rather than as a table condiment. It is mostly used for its ability to add a dark brown colour. It's generically referred to as a "browning agent."

(Copyright 2011 Practically Edible. All rights reserved and enforced.) Read more of this snippet here : http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/kitchenbouquet#ixzz1BO1v0NsC

Salad Supreme

This blend of Romano cheese, sesame and poppy seeds, paprika, garlic, and black pepper adds great flavor and a colorful garnish to tossed salads or pasta salads.

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Herbs-and-Spices/Blends/Perfect-Pinch/Perfect-Pinch-Salad-Supreme-Seasoning.aspx

Rick
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
We tend to have a rough life in the colonies. We're working on a 7 course meal in a can!

LindyLu
01-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Easy pressure cooker Beef Manhattans

There are no exact measurements for these, so just kinda wing it. Basics are as follows:

Take some cubed steak or round steak, whatever.
Put in the pressure cooker basket thing & put in the p.c. pan.
add some water, just enough to come about 1/2 way up the sides of the meat. You do not need to brown the meat.
Sprinkle on some salt & pepper.
Pressure for about 25-30 minutes depending on how much meat your cooking and the cubed steak cooks quicker.
Mix some corn starch with some cool water and add to the broth in the pan. Simmer until nice and thickened - not too thick.
Now, take a slice of bread (your choice) put a piece of meat on top. Add a goodly dollop of hot mashed potatoes. Oh, you should fix those while meat is cooking. Then on top of the mashed potatoes, pour on plenty of gravy. Salt & pepper more if you want. I personally like to pour on some Worchester (SP?) sauce. YUM!
Blessings, LindyLu

Winnie
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Gotcha! Kitchen Bouquet = Gravy Browing, no problem. Salad Supreme won't get that over here!

BH51
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I got a 6qt pressure cooker for Christmas...and OH!...what a delightful tool it is....
the fore'mentioned beef & noodle recipe sounds scrumptious...
.............I did some bar-b-que deer venision yesterday to die for....simply nuked it
tender off the bone per cooker instruction...mixed in some ham & bacon fat after
pulled it to shreds and chop't it fine...threw some worchestershire sauce on it and
some liquid smoke...salt & pepper to taste and stuck it in the oven in a glass
cassarole thing and broiled it just enough to give the illusion it's been somewhere
near a grill......and Oh! the results are the living end.................................BH51...

Rick
01-25-2011, 08:54 PM
So really, how was it?

aflineman
01-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks crashdive123. I am only been able to surf most of the time. Posting and viewing is not easy. especially the way my phone formats the new site.

Rick - My Cooker is a 6 quart. It is an unusual brand. Can't remember the name, and the label has fallen off. IIRC I picked it up in Germany.

Winnie - Most any browning sauce will work. I have used some overseas that work even better than Kitchen Bouquet. As for Salad Supreme, it is not a must, I just like the flavor it can add.