PDA

View Full Version : BOV...... trailer

hunter63
01-17-2011, 01:09 PM
P-R started a thread dealing with a RV conversion, hope he isn't just spamming.

I/we have been looking for a larger 5 wheel or TT for a while now, both as a BOV and a snow bird dwelling.
I gave away a 16 ft 1963 Shasta, too small, to a sorta homeless guy, (had been living in a straw stack covered yurt).

Actually attended an auction sat, had 2 FEMA trailers up, one was a handicap version, not used, went for $3500, but didn't have tanks and travel stuff, made to just park.
The other went for $1700, but was "well" used, and trashed, I think the guy bought it for a car hauler, as it was trashed.

I guess I didn't know that they were not RV ready, at least the ones I saw, just sorta a canned tent on wheels.

There seem to be a bunch around down here in the south, but also the good ones seem to be being bought up by the oil/gas drilling crews, (LOTS of that happening here, NW La.)

Locals have been making a buck buy buying FEMA trailers, setting them up in a kinda a "Boom town trailer park", renting them out, or providing parking for them.

So I guess we will see what I can find as you would think that with a bad economy, people that lost jobs should be trying to get rid of stuff they can't afford.

I have not found this to be the case?

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I sure hope this thread takes off. I have seen some fantastic trailers set up for survival and I am designing one for off road use myself and need more ideas. It is the ultimate bug out and state of readiness. It does not take much time to hook a trailer to your vehicle and be gone!

crashdive123
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I sure hope this thread takes off. I have seen some fantastic trailers set up for survival and I am designing one for off road use myself and need more ideas. It is the ultimate bug out and state of readiness. It does not take much time to hook a trailer to your vehicle and be gone!

If the OP is interested in sharing and exchanging ideas and information, I'm sure it will. If all he wanted to do was increase traffic to his forum with 15 members, maybe not.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I am more interested in topics than people. This one appeals to me.

crashdive123
01-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Then get the conversation going. You said you are designing one - share your thoughts. I am concerned not only with forum content, but spammers that will do the forum harm.

Rick
01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
AS - I've actually considered an S280 shelter in the back of an M35A2 or 3 or M813. I've even looked at M109s for a self contained unit. I really think you could get by with an S250 shelter on a M101A1 trailer. I don't know what that Coot will pull but that last one would be the berries if that coot could pull it. It would be light, rugged and set up high enough to get where you want to go. And it would be pretty low profile as well. It just depends on how much room you want.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 02:38 PM
What I have been doing up to this point is putting together what I want to bring and then adapting a trailer to carry it. This is much how I did my pack and I look at it being very similar. One thing that has helped with organizing gear for transport are big foot bags. These things lay out flat and you just throw stuff on it then zip them up. They are water resistent and heavy duty.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1606.jpg

I would also like to mount my a solar panel to trailer. I would like it big enough to sleep in but I have to decided to use my wall tent attached to it as living space.

PS-If someone is spaming I have seen you guys just delete thier posts without giving them any attention. They don't deserve it and it distracts the focus of the forum, IMO.

crashdive123
01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Once it has been verified that it is spam it usually is deleted, but thanks for your thoughts on it.

Rick
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
When we know they've spammed we do. If someone makes a mistake, we do try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they later prove to be spammers then they are gone. If Johnathan hangs around and follows they rules he'll be fine. If not........

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Allowing links in signatures seems more than generous and a credit to this forum. To abuse this policy is intolerable.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I have drug many a trailer out in the woods and rather than go with high ground clearance and other kinds of trick suspension I prefer to just add more axles. Torsion suspension will give all the ground clearance needed when for the most part all obsticals are always hitting a wheel. This also improves its stabilty and load carrying capacity.

Camp10
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
P-R started a thread dealing with a RV conversion, hope he isn't just spamming.

I/we have been looking for a larger 5 wheel or TT for a while now, both as a BOV and a snow bird dwelling.
I gave away a 16 ft 1963 Shasta, too small, to a sorta homeless guy, (had been living in a straw stack covered yurt).

Actually attended an auction sat, had 2 FEMA trailers up, one was a handicap version, not used, went for $3500, but didn't have tanks and travel stuff, made to just park.
The other went for $1700, but was "well" used, and trashed, I think the guy bought it for a car hauler, as it was trashed.

I guess I didn't know that they were not RV ready, at least the ones I saw, just sorta a canned tent on wheels.

There seem to be a bunch around down here in the south, but also the good ones seem to be being bought up by the oil/gas drilling crews, (LOTS of that happening here, NW La.)

Locals have been making a buck buy buying FEMA trailers, setting them up in a kinda a "Boom town trailer park", renting them out, or providing parking for them.

So I guess we will see what I can find as you would think that with a bad economy, people that lost jobs should be trying to get rid of stuff they can't afford.

I have not found this to be the case?

There is a guy up here that has and sells lots of the FEMA trailers. I dont know if they are still for sale through the winter but as soon as spring gets here, there will be dozens of them out in the parking lot. As far as a trailer for a BOV is concerned, I have to agree with what tipacanoe said in the other post on trailers..unless your BOL is a Walmart parking lot you arent getting out and away from people dragging a trailer thats more then 14' long up here in Maine.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
That all depends what is draging it. A 450 JD will pull a camper through the woods anywhere you want to go.

Camp10
01-17-2011, 07:33 PM
That all depends what is draging it. A 450 JD will pull a camper through the woods anywhere you want to go.

It will pull pieces through the woods...I've seen that too.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
The one behind me in this old photo was hualed 20 miles out from roads and winched down a 500 foot bluff long before they had even had snow tires. My dad had airplane tires on that old WW II surplus jeep.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/scan0001-1.jpg

After hualing my 16 footer in and out of my gold claim 15 miles off the road and over a mountain was none the worse for wear. The ranger in photo had no problems.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/firsthomeonproperty.jpg

I have lost count of how many times I have done it. I once drug a 55 foot trailer 40 miles off road with an Army duece and half. You do have to take care but is a common way to establish a beach head on homesteads up here.

I am reminded of something my father used to say "Nothing beats a failure like a TRY".

hunter63
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I helped a buddy add longer spring shackles and spacer blocks on a 24 ft TT. Raised the whole duel axle assembly up about 3"
Worked good, and still pulled down the road just fine.

One thing we did run into was crossing a log bridge, a timber tilted up and run up thru the floor.

Was kinda thinking of floor skid plates for the tanks and such.

Rifgt now I am using a covered cargo trailer, 6 by 12 long as a general purpose trailer, but does hold my entire primitive camp, including 12 X13 wall tent and all the gear.

I generally carry a folding cot and sleeping gear in the trailer, and could be used to sleep in if nessessary.

BTW, I wasn't trying to hyjack P-R project, but it is a good subject.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Getting off road it is a good idea to bring some 20 foot 2x10's. Laid on soft patches of ground they make a good road.

Rick
01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
You can still purchase Marsden Matting. I think today it's called PSP Landing Mats. But they can be bolted to the vehicle for use when traction is a problem.

http://www.psp-marsden-matting.com/bilder/Marsdon-Mat.jpg

Mounted on vehicle.

http://exit78.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/heavy-duty-extreme-offroad-rv-1.jpg

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
There used to be a lot of those landing mats up here left over from the war. I don't see them around much any more. I used to use a 3 axle, 20 foot flatbed to hual logs out of woods to my sawmill. It kept dirt out of logs and height aided getting them on carraige. Multiple axles gave it plenty of floatation and loaded the weight is a hell of a lot more than a camper. In my experience adding axles is better than raising suspension or other modifications. Skid plates help too.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/l_dc940e78c3a64ab9808ff67482d488e8.jpg

hunter63
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking we all have a idea of a perfect BOV unit.
Seems we have a staying in type of trailer and a gear carrying trailer.

"Gear carrying" trailers seem like they would be smaller and be able to go farther off road.
"Staying in' trailers would be bigger and not so off road-able.

I guess we need to see who likes what?

At this point I'm talking about "staying" in type.

Pop ups tend to be smaller and carry a lot og gear, but are generally canvas sided, maybe not so good in bear or zombie country?

I thinking that a 24 ft would be about min for long term staying in type?

tipacanoe
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
" I thinking that a 24 ft would be about min for long term staying in type?[/QUOTE]"

H63, I would also think that 24 ft would be just about as long as you would want it, if you are going off road. Of course that depends on how many are going with you.

Camp10
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking we all have a idea of a perfect BOV unit.
Seems we have a staying in type of trailer and a gear carrying trailer.

"Gear carrying" trailers seem like they would be smaller and be able to go farther off road.
"Staying in' trailers would be bigger and not so off road-able.

I guess we need to see who likes what?

At this point I'm talking about "staying" in type.

Pop ups tend to be smaller and carry a lot og gear, but are generally canvas sided, maybe not so good in bear or zombie country?

I thinking that a 24 ft would be about min for long term staying in type?

Yeah, I do think we have been talking about two different objectives. I also think topography has lots to do with all of our views on hauling a camper for a bug out situation. There are huge advantages of hooking to a self contained home and heading to another part of the state to avoid a weather emergency or something to that effect. I dont think it would be unreasonable to think it could be stocked enough for more then a few months and still be hauled by a 3/4 ton pickup.
I think a person could be quite comfortable in a 24' camper. My camp started life as an 8 x 32 trailer. I built an addition so I could add a woodstove safely. I can stay up there for a very long term.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a tear drop trailer to sleep in and an oudoor kitchen built in and storage for things like folding chairs and other camp niceties.

Camp10
01-17-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a tear drop trailer to sleep in and an oudoor kitchen built in and storage for things like folding chairs and other camp niceties.

Those are nice! I like the tapered tail section on that style trailer..they dont drag over everything. My "perfect camper" idea was based on a 50's Apache pop up camper I own. I wanted to stick it on the back of a compact extra cab 4x4 pickup and lift the thing, put a winch on the front and some nice tires. My wife decided I really didnt want to do that! I should try to find a picture of the little camper to show what I mean..

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/100_0209.jpg

Well, it isnt the best picture but it is the only one I can find of it.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
A guy at work has an A frame pop up for the back of his Toyota pickup. It's a pretty cool little camper. I've thought about a pop up thinking I could carry my Zodiac inflated on its top and have a good set up for the beach. Nice thing about small campers and boats is they are more convient to use and I can launch into the surf. I have been using my car to sleep in because back seat folds down. I often over night to limit out 2 days to off set cost of trip. If I had a camper I would carry a small freezer and stay until I could not jam any more fish in it increasing my hual.

Rick
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
The perfect BOV. Ambulance with a trailer.

http://www.ofm.gov.on.ca/en/Fire%20Service%20Resources/Messenger/2007/images/Fire-safety-trailer-picture.gif
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ofm.gov.on.ca/en/Fire%2520Service%2520Resources/Messenger/2007/images/Fire-safety-trailer-picture.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.ofm.gov.on.ca/en/Fire%2520Service%2520Resources/Messenger/2007/February-March.asp&usg=__ntweIUTohr9d8ZWJN3POkcmIYOs=&h=500&w=750&sz=237&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=Wocc6hosemEnIM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=173&ei=Ixw1TYeBLoXTgQe8wN3DCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dambulance%2Bwith%2Btrailer%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D575%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C456&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=313&oei=Gxw1TeSOEMqr8AbJnZy-CA&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:12&tx=128&ty=40&biw=1024&bih=575

rebel
01-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Good post. For a long term evac it would be hard to beat the rv for comfort.

hunter63
01-19-2011, 12:05 AM
I have always favored an ambulance as a SHTF BOV, like who would stop an ambulance, when dressed in hazmats suits, right?
(sorry my zombie scenario coming out)
But I gotta tell you, I do like the RV addition.

As it's DW and I +dogs, one bedroom.

What I had in mind is as least a 24 ft RV, maybe a slide out, jacked up some, skid plates for front and undercarriage piping and running gear.
On board solar panels, generator, batteries, inverter, wired both 115 and 12 volt.
Roof racks, canoe or small boat.
Water carrying capacity, w/pump/filter.
Holding tanks/direct drain for gray water, sawdust toilet as back up.

Maybe ever a toy hauler style, storage for ATV/cycle/gear, awing/screen porch,in/out door kitchen.

I was even considering gutting a FEMA, rebuilding my way, but gotta tell ya, the one I looked at really reeked.
Not real sure even if I gutted it, I could stand to be in it........nasty!

sushidog
02-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I have an Aliner that I bought as a BOV after Hurricane Katrina. I can pull it with a 4 cyl car and get 23-25 mpg towing giving me an excellent range. Though not off-road capable, I have taken it way back in the woods via logging roads with very low overhead clearance that even a full size pick-up would have trouble fitting under. It will climb very steep grades too, as long as it can get traction. It has all the features of a bigger unit, (such as a dinette/couch that converts to a king bed, a 3-way refrigerator/freezer, stove/microwave, shower/cassette potty, air conditioning that will run off of a 1200 watt generator, etc.) just with very little space inside. It set's up and breaks down in 30 seconds (without leveling, screen room, etc.) for road side lunch/potty breaks. And with hard insulated sides it's easy and economical to heat and cool. Here's a few pics:

http://i29.tinypic.com/54twts.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rm4fbt.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/1yk178.jpg

Longjohn
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Those are nice! I like the tapered tail section on that style trailer..they dont drag over everything. My "perfect camper" idea was based on a 50's Apache pop up camper I own. I wanted to stick it on the back of a compact extra cab 4x4 pickup and lift the thing, put a winch on the front and some nice tires. My wife decided I really didnt want to do that! I should try to find a picture of the little camper to show what I mean..

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/hereisfine/100_0209.jpg

Well, it isnt the best picture but it is the only one I can find of it.

These older Apaches are great as are the 1971 and up ABS hardside models for that little more secure feeling, I have even seen one or two lifted to match the guys toyo tow vehicle.tons of info about Apaches at apcahepopups.net

hunter63
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
When those A frame trailers finally get old, they get repurposed, this one had a vinyl roof that went bad, bought it from a guy for $200 bucks.
I set it up at "The Place" as a guest house/shed.
Sides are screwed to the frame to make the sides permanent, plywood was added and rolled roofing.
I mean, where can you get a shed, that is mobile, wired for electric, had bunks, and a furnace, for $200 bucks, LOL

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/PICT0505.jpg

Justin Case
04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Good Idea !