PDA

View Full Version : food

Rambo
05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
hey ive seen alot of people eating rabits and squirles but what parts are actually ok to eat and not get sick

sh4d0wm4573ri7
06-06-2007, 06:34 AM
the entire meaty parts are edible though some people find them repulsive squirrel is dark meat rabbit is not, rabbit should be cooked well done and boiled before cooking to eliminate parasites rabbit is very lean meat and not a good survival food.

WildGoth
06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
yes but with squirrel always skin it first but wear gloves or avoid touching it because it may have parasites like fleas which could be infected with the bubionic plague

RobertRogers
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Yep, it is all edible as long as you cook it well.

marberry
06-06-2007, 11:40 PM
i snare it , skin it , boil it , and cook it over a spit lolz . works with all small game (remove musk glands on some (like muskrats) or ur in for a nasty surprise)

Tony uk
06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
As long as you fully cook it then the meaty parts are fine to eat and gice you much needed calories

kid
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
if you make rabbit and rabit alone your main staple you will die
since rabbits dont have enough minerals and fat in order to sustane you

its called (rabbit starvation)

ATough
07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
cant you eat the bones of rabbits and other small animals?

kid
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
idk about the bones, but the bone marrow yes

rusty_oxydado
07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Nearly anything you can catch and kill in the wild that walks, crawls, swims, slithers, and flys is eddible.
Many would worry you needlessly over half truths, and old wives tales.
The truth be told, if you are starving you would do well to eat even rabbit if you can get them. Kinda bland without salt and pepper, but you will not starve.
After killing the critter make a slice, I said SLICE not stab in the lower belly to expose the entrils, firmly grasp it by the head, and make a sharp hard swinging whip snap of the critter, this is enough thrust to expell most of the animals innards, grab and pull the entrals out, and carefully cut the intestine and vent out without dribbling juice back into the body cavity. Work the fire back leaving a good sized patch of glowing coals, toss the critter on the coals, using a stick roll the carcass about, cooking one side and then the other. Maybe 3-5 min. to cook, roll from the fire and set to the side to rest, (cool a bit,) You can use a stick to fleck the scorched fir away, (as the cooked skin can be eaten too,) You know it is done when the joints pop easilly. As I already mentioned it is pretty bland with out salt.
You will find ther meat on the moist side if you didn't over cook it, it is the skin that held the moisture in, and steamed the meat in it's own skin.
Survival is the game, and food is food.
Trichnosis, and worms can be sorted out once you get home, I have been lucky and not caught any in all my travels.

nell67
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Wild rabbits have little fat due to their diet right? What about deer and other critters that rely on unrefined plants for food,I know we raise tame rabbits and believe me they are due to the pellet we feed, cattle fed commercial grains also are fat . Would the same issue not apply for the other wild animals as far as little fat and minerals?? This has always puzzeled me,do the larger animals convert the plant material differently than the smaller game?

We never worry abut parasites in rabbits we raise other than ear mites as they are never in contact with other animals except for mating purposes.never in contact with the ground so worms and such are pretty much not an issue with the tame ones.

rusty_oxydado
07-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Nell;
Domestic is domestic, and wild is wild.
Farm raised critters pampered and packed full of heavy feed make fat, in the wild a fat deer or rabbit is a slow running supper for some other critter.
On the other hand bear are famous for having a lot of fat just before winter sets in, but then bear don't have many things they have to run from.