PDA

View Full Version : Peppers!

Trabitha
01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Okay, I'm new at this canning thing. I've got it down when it comes to acidic food like tomatoes or pickles...but I'm still working on other options.
I'm a little freaked out by a pressure cooker. I know...I know...they are made a LOT safer now. It's just something I need to get over.
What I was wondering is if anyone here has preserved peppers in olive oil? Is it something that can be done safely? Do I need to process the jars?
I just don't have the room in my freezer or the space to get a BIGGER freezer and wish to find another option.
Any help welcomed!

Rick
01-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I've never put them in olive oil but I do have peppers in vinegar in the fridge. They have probably been in there for at lease a couple of years. I use the vinegar as a seasoning for food and just keep adding vinegar to the peppers as needed. When I think it's finally getting weak I just change it all out.

I don't think you can actually "can" them with olive oil and not use pressure cooking or at least hot packing. Any germs on the peppers would still be there and if kept at room temperature would be able to grow. That's my cut at it anyway.

All American Pressure Cookers are just the bees knees. If you follow their directions then you can't go wrong. And they have no seals to wear out or replace. And, and, their customer service is excellent. I had the handle pop on mine while it was cooking and they sent a new one no questions asked.

Trabitha
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks Rick! I really should give the pressure cookers a chance...I'm sure it will help a lot for my storage issues.