PDA

View Full Version : Surviving mass media influence

rwc1969
01-11-2011, 02:09 PM
This is what I do whenever I find myself getting too wrapped up in current events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jxl33CPnTI

I don't recall if I posted here or not, but back in the summer I made one of those coffee can hobo stoves, used it, filled it with tinder and kindling and stored it away out in the bush for future use.

I decided to go back after the big rain and thaw we had at the beginning of the year and see if the tinder and stuff was still dry and usable. It was dry enough and getting fire was a cinch even after the heavy downpours we had the day before, not to mention the 6" of snow that had been covering everything for the past month.

I'm going to be placing these out in the areas I frequent, so I don't have to go around trying to find dry tinder and such. Since I usually have plenty of tinder and kindling left over after making fire I just stuff the unused stuff back into the stove, put the lid on and hide it away. It makes things real easy and saves a lot of time getting a fire going for cooking and such.

hunter63
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
That's excellent advice.
Do you just stash the can? or put it in something?

My father used to stash 5 gal buckets, (to sit on) with matches( strike anywhere, in medicine bottles) piece of plastic (to sit on or keep legs dry) all over the woods for hunting seats.

When things get nasty in the news, I like splitting wood, digging in the garden, going hunting, re-loading shells, etc, just something that I can control, to make my life easier, no matter what.

rwc1969
01-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I just stash it in the bushes, or in a tree branch etc. Keeping it off the ground helps it get air to dry out and the can has holes along the bottom to let any water or condensation run out. I try to put it under something like a branch so it's blocked from direct rain and snow.

I'm actually pretty impressed with these little stoves, they burn a tiny amount of wood and provide a lot of heat.

I think this vid is the one where I show the apple corer used as a stove top. That thing works great and makes cooking almost as easy as the range top at home.

crashdive123
01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Hobo stoves are great. Keeping a few stashed around your stomping grounds is a great idea.

Rick
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Another good job, RWC. Just remember, come summertime, there might be wasps inside!!!! YIKES. I love the hobo stove as well. Simple, works great, costs nothing. You don't get much better than that.

rwc1969
01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
You know I was expecting spiders, but hadn't considered wasps. That's very likely now that I think about it.

dottie
05-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Cool! A great idea! When I feel overwhelmed from the saturation of daily media news, and current events, I ussually get my wicker basket, and go out to my 2 henhouses and gather eggs, or go putter in my vegetable garden. Now, I can do as you've sggested and make myself some hobo stoves. I love new projects. Thanks!

dottie
05-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I like that 5-gallon bucket idea. You can store a lot of useful stuff that way.