01-12-2008, 09:36 PM
i knew it would come to this
going thru my weekly bug-out repacking
i came to the sad realization that i have accumulated too much stuff
as i've said before, when TSHTF
my first move will be to get out of the city
but i know that i'm going to be leaving a lot of stuff behind

so what to do ?
i already have five caches out in the county ( five 5 gallon pails )
and what i could do is, as soon as the temp hits 50-60 F
make a trip out into the county and make another cache
this would be a big one though ( military duffel bag size )
BUT, i am planning on heading out to British Columbia sometime in April
and i would have no problem sacrificing the 5 caches i already have
maybe i'll just use up the supplies i have at home now ( i rent )

when TSHTF
i don't plan on returning home
so i better be certain that " this is it "
if i leave early enough, i can beat the frantic crowds
if i wait too long, it could be an obstacle course trying to get out

i guess it is possible to have too much stuff

nell67
01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Never too much stuff,until you have to carry all of it!

Rick
01-12-2008, 09:48 PM
So how are you going to round up those pails when you bug out? If you aren't coming back are you going to leave them? And if you plan to stop and pick each one up why did you bury them in the first place? I'm just trying to understand what you have in mind.

(I could save you a lot of time and trouble. Just send it all to me and I'll hang on to it for you until TSHTF.):rolleyes:

nell67
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Rick,I dont think giving it to you was what he meant by not having a problem sacrificing them LOL!

Rick
01-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I just don't understand caching stuff. It just limits you to one route. To the cache. And knowing it's there you are going to be hell bent to get to it, which might be the wrong thing. Figure out what you need to have. Basics. Fire, water, etc. Learn the basics and learn to let nature provide the rest.

Canadian-guerilla
01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
when i first buried these caches in early september
i originally planned to dig up these caches and rotate the foodstuffs
( starting in april - one per week )
but now that i've decided to head out to BC in april
then yes, i will leave these caches behind
IF, TSHTF before april
then i guess i'm stuck here in ontario for awhile
and these caches will come in handy

Rick
01-12-2008, 11:02 PM
I said above I don't understanding caching. Some questions. Why wouldn't you reclaim the county caches as you head out to BC or pick them up when you come back? What happens if you 1. can't move toward BC when/if you need to. Suppose you have to go East? What happens if someone stumbles across your cache? What is it you are trying to accomplish by hiding stuff around? I'm not being critical, I'm trying to understand what the benefit is.

dilligaf2u2
01-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I agree Rick.

First off! If TSHTF how will you know before everyone else?

Second! Stand in any city and ask yourself. How will you not get cought in the croud if all of them are hitting the highway at the same time?

Third! How long would it take you to reach your caches. Could you make it if you had to walk to them from where you are?

Dig up your caches and take them with you. Don't leave your garbage behind.
Re-think your bug out plans to include the 4 million other people running rampit with you!

Don

Elkchsr
01-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Knowledge is power

With knowledge, you gain the power to do more with less

Become independent from the shackles of needy things

With knowledge, resourcefulness is all the tools you need to sustain

Teaching these same skills also empowers you with others

With knowledge and less, you can outlast all other forms of self sufficiency and survival

Problem with 'stuff'...

When the stuff runs out, there isn't any thing else

It's easier to learn these skills when you’re not under the gun so to speak, practice makes perfect and if some thing happens 20 years from now, you should be well versed in the crafts all of us crave

Another idea to ponder I learned long ago from a wise man

People can take every thing you have but they can't take what you know (unless of course you get a lobotomy, they you won't care any way)

Just some points to ponder when you’re dumping your wealth into stuff... :)

Canadian-guerilla
01-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Why wouldn't you reclaim the county caches as you head out to BC or pick them up when you come back?
i don't have a vehicle, i'll be heading out west by bus, and i don't plan on coming back

What happens if you 1. can't move toward BC when/if you need to. Suppose you have to go East?
however long it takes, i will end up in BC

What happens if someone stumbles across your cache?
then i didn't bury/hide it good enough, finders keepers

What is it you are trying to accomplish by hiding stuff around? I'm not being critical, I'm trying to understand what the benefit is.
and i can't understand some people,
buying a year's worth of supplies
and planning on defending their home in the city,
if someone has a 200 man mob
outside their house, hell bent on getting their supplies,
guns will only help so much,

even if you abandon your house to the mob
it might be ok, because you know you planned ahead
by burying 1/3 of your supplies in the back garden
and after the mob pillages and burns your house down
you come back later and retrieve your cache

Canadian-guerilla
01-13-2008, 05:37 AM
I agree Rick.
First off! If TSHTF how will you know before everyone else?

i guess i'm just going to have to go on gut feeling
like i said in my OP
when i decide to up and go, i better be certain that " this is it "

Second! Stand in any city and ask yourself. How will you not get cought in the croud if all of them are hitting the highway at the same time?
planning

Third! How long would it take you to reach your caches.
Could you make it if you had to walk to them from where you are?
it would take as long as it takes
yes

Dig up your caches and take them with you. Don't leave your garbage behind.

if TSHTF before april, then i'll use them

Re-think your bug out plans to include the 4 million other people running rampit with you!
good thinking, i forgot all about that . . .

Rick
01-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Okay. You can do what you want but I hate to see you spend a bunch of money and abandone it. Not to mention the fact that you're leaving stuff hidden around your area. I assume that means ammunition or other things, perhaps knives, that if abandoned has the potential for some kid to find. So if you are heading to BC and not returning then do something with the caches you have hidden. Clean up what you've left in the wild or tell a friend where it is and give it to them.

and i can't understand some people, buying a year's worth of supplies and planning on defending their home in the city, if someone has a 200 man mob
outside their house, hell bent on getting their supplies, guns will only help so much,

even if you abandon your house to the mob it might be ok, because you know you planned ahead by burying 1/3 of your supplies in the back garden and after the mob pillages and burns your house down you come back later and retrieve your cache

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the forum about this. Look at New Orleans during Katrina. That WAS a SHTF scenario. There were no 200 man mobs.

Elkchsr was correct and his response was well written. The more you know, the less you have to lug around.

Think about what you are leaving behind in those caches and please see to it that they are recovered so some innocent kid doesn't get injured and your trash isn't left in the wild.

Elkchsr
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
If you want to cach things...

Let it be small amounts of well placed deposits of gold

A little should go a long way and it doesn't go bad on you if placed in the worst locations for a thousand years

Elkchsr
01-13-2008, 11:54 AM
One note I would mention about caching gold...

If you do, make sure you GPS the location, don't put it by "A Tree"

Temporary landscapes change over time

The second note

To ensure the safety of your cach of gold send those coordinates to me with exactly how to find them in the case of your demise

I will make certain your caches get back into circulation instead of becoming a miniral deposit... ;) :D

Rick
01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey! I got dibs! See post 3. Dang Elkchsrs come lately.

Elkchsr
01-13-2008, 12:17 PM
HAHAHA Rick... :D

We can split it, sounds like theres plenty to go around...

But since at the moment, shipping could be an issue, I'll manage of all the small yellow items, you can hold the rest... :p ;)

Canadian-guerilla
01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I assume that means ammunition or other things, perhaps knives, that if abandoned has the potential for some kid to find.

you assume wrong
there's no weapons/ammo in my caches for anyone to find
it's 85% foodstuffs/water purification
extra socks, candles, matches, etc

Rick
01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Still, why leave it? Why not gather it or give it away?

Canadian-guerilla
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
April is still 2 1/2 months away
who knows what's going to happen in that time