PDA

View Full Version : 10 Essentials update & upgrade.

Sarge47
01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Since the 1930s The Mountaineers have always listed the "10 Essentials that you should always carry when out & about. Lately there also has been added the "10 Essential Systems" that you need to also know about:

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/client/client_pages/Media%20Archives/mtn_media_TenEssentials.cfm

Enjoy! :cool2:

Sarge47
01-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I've always thought more should be added to the list, any of you feel that way? :smartass:

mosquitomountainman
01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
A space blanket or poncho would be nice.

Alaskan Survivalist
01-07-2011, 09:36 PM
A Bear Grylles knife and his complete series on DVD is all you need.

Sorry Sarge I couldn't help myself.

Sarge47
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm sorry too, I'm just going to have to ban you for that...as soon as I get off the floor from laughing! Oh, my sides hurt! :thumbup1: :whistling:

dolfan87
01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't go anywhere out in the desert without my Glock...but that's just me.

JPGreco
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I understand the value of sun protection, but as an essential it loses me. I would much rather have one of those space blankets or a good rope (paracord) over sun protection. Just based on percentage of the earth, the majority of places you might get lost in aren't in areas where severe sun exposure is an issue. I mean, I live on Long Island (North East USA) and I work outside all summer. I wear a hat, thats it.

Also, if I'm in an area where sun is an issue, I can use a bit of that extra clothing to fashion a hat and cover more of my body with if needed (including protecting my eyes).

I mean, its easier to evade the sun when needed than it is to make a reliable rope in most areas.

Also, shouldn't sun screen be included in the first aid supplies so it seems redundant (a hat should be included in your clothing essentials as well).

Granted, preperation for the area you are in is first and foremost on be properly prepared. If I am going somewhere where I know the sun is an issue, then I will make damn sure that sunscreen is in my first aid kit. If I'm going to the poconos, it doesn't matter if I forget it.

welderguy
01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
So what do ya all think the best # 9 would be ?

( hanging head in shame sorry had to say it)

finallyME
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
First, remember the list was made by the mountaineers, you know, people who climb mountains with snow on the top year round. Anyways, the systems list pretty much covers it all, including the added suggestion of others here. I think their systems list pretty much covers everything, and more.

Rick
01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
And no list will be perfect in all environments. It does however offer a good basis for a broad range of climes. The rest is up to us.

Old GI
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Would that be your basic "number 2"?:blushing:

beetlejuicex3
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

How about just Bear Grylls?

Can't figure out why shelter and water aren't near the top of the original list. At least they made it onto the "systems" list. I think I would include something for signaling or communication.

Rick
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
You can make your own shelter and find water in most environments so it isn't something you have to take with you.