PDA

View Full Version : Following the signs

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I went to check up on all the raven noise and wolf songs I've heard for the last few days - obviously, a kill is in the area.
Here's a few pictures of the ravens and the wolf tracks (about 4"x5 1/2") along the way, as well as the trampled-down snow at the kill site. They took down a 1 1/2-year old bull moose.

Rick
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Holy Moly! That's a paw print! That is such a desolate place. It's hard to believe that you can see that far and not see wild life. Thanks for the pics.

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
That is such a desolate place.

D-d-d-desolate??? :thumbdown:
That's home, man!

hoosierarcher
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
There is a stark beauty to the far North in Winter. Ethereal in its stillness at times, horrific in its storms others; but always a fierce, austere beauty. You are blessed to live there WW. One man's desolation is another's serene place.

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Pretty cool pics. Thanks for letting us have a view.

BENESSE
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Very serene, WW.
What's beyond the hills in pic. 5?

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
What's beyond the hills in pic. 5?

Mountains, and more mountains, and then more mountains. I think the closest road in that direction is about 200km away - oh god, now I sound like Nativedude, bless his lying heart... There are a couple roads a lot closer than that (about 40kms away), just not in that direction.

Edit: what I hope transpires in this post for the wanting-to-live-off-the-land-in-a-loincloth-people is that ravens and wolves will lead you to food. If you're fast, that is. Otherwise there's just fur and gristle left.

Winnie
01-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the pics WW. I'd want a darn sight more than a loincloth to wander around in your backyard!LOL

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the pics WW. I'd want a darn sight more than a loincloth to wander around in your backyard!LOL

A knife?????

Winnie
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
A knife?????

I was thinking along the lines of full Arctic gear and big gun....

tipacanoe
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
WW, really enjoy your pictures, I never would have thought the paw would be as big as your hand. Thanks

Rick
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I didn't say I didn't like it, WW. I just called it what it is. I've never been anyplace where the sheer size of view makes you feel insignificant. There is no place like Alaska. I've stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon and thought OMG that is so big. I've stood on the top of mountains in Alaska and thought OMG I'm so small.

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I didn't say I didn't like it, WW. I just called it what it is. I've never been anyplace where the sheer size of view makes you feel insignificant. There is no place like Alaska. I've stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon and thought OMG that is so big. I've stood on the top of mountains in Alaska and thought OMG I'm so small.

There's a shower joke in there somewhere, but....nah.

Rick
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, Mr. One armed man, there is a joke in there. Let me help you to your chair. Oh! Was that your bad shoulder?

Rick
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey, speaking of shoulders and totally destroying WW's thread, when do you get your stitches out?

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Joke? Did I say joke? What I meant was that the majesty and beauty that Mother Nature shows us on a daily basis makes us all realize how small we really are. Yep. That's what I meant to say.

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey, speaking of shoulders and totally destroying WW's thread, when do you get your stitches out?

Stitches are out. I've got an appointment Thursday to see if I can start re-hab.

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I didn't say I didn't like it, WW. I just called it what it is. I've never been anyplace where the sheer size of view makes you feel insignificant.

Yes, I love that about the North...I guess deserts would be similar. It makes you want to put something out as an offering, as an acknowledgement.

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Stitches are out. I've got an appointment Thursday to see if I can start re-hab.

Guess you'll be on your way to fix up Sourdough's cabin next week?

Rick
01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
It's really interesting that everything is so large up there. When you think about it mankind is one of the small animals. Even the danged beaver are huge up there. Little wonder that indigenous peoples did make offereings. It's hard not to respect the earth when you can see that far in any direction.

mosquitomountainman
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing them. We have wolves here but I don't think they're quite that big.

Do the wolves there travel single file in deep (2 ft. plus) snow? Ours do. You'll think you're following one wolf then all of a sudden the trail branches off into three (or ??) sets of tracks.

wildWoman
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Do the wolves there travel single file in deep (2 ft. plus) snow? Ours do. You'll think you're following one wolf then all of a sudden the trail branches off into three (or ??) sets of tracks.

Yeah, same here. They even do that a lot of times when the snow isn't deep - they'll keep it up for a few hundred yards and the suddenly one or two tracks branch out and later rejoin the other one.
These are three large wolves, two tan/greyish and one pitch black one. That one's a real beauty. They seem to be on an upcycle, we have hardly seen any in quite a while and now, for the past two years, have been noticing more activity again.

*Numpty hint: I can't tell the colour from the tracks - I saw the pack the other day :)

crashdive123
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
*Numpty hint: I can't tell the colour from the tracks - I saw the pack the other day :)

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

Rick
01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm glad you said that. I was just about to ask. Now I won't look stupid.

hunter63
01-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Cough, cough, sputter.....Good one!
Thanks for the pic's WW.

Saw a wolf by himself/herself? upper Wisconsin, first time in the woods, last deer season....My first thought was OMG that's a big dog.....No... Holy S....That's no dog. Mostly black and a little brown.

wildWoman
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Saw a wolf by himself/herself? upper Wisconsin, first time in the woods, last deer season....My first thought was OMG that's a big dog.....No... Holy S....That's no dog. Mostly black and a little brown.

Wow, that must have been really neat! Hope you'll see one again :)

And I didn't mean to offend any numpties out there - but after someone commenting on how terribly close wolves had been to our cabin and pointing out a large turd, and us having to explain that large dogs do produce large turds, I've become pro-active.
Also, I am utterly ignorant of all these little handheld gadgets you city people have, teeth and berries and pads and whatnot, and what on earth their functions are, the how and why etc etc. So ignorance works both ways.

Rick
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
We don't understand them either, WW. My VCR has been blinking at me for 20 years.