PDA

View Full Version : Tents

Smok
01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Meany here plan on bugging out of things go bad. If you plan on bugging out do you also plan on using a tent and if so that type maybe a Tepee or Yurt I mean this is not a camp out there is going be storms , snow, bugs and for heat just an open fire or may be a Elk hunting store I have seen some as light as 18 lbs.. There would be less wood need for heat with a stove. So tent or no tent. heating stove or not

canid
01-12-2008, 03:22 AM
i have plans to build a travel yurt. i'm aiming it around 30lb, synthetic insulated and about 10' dia by 6' high at center and including a small wood stove. this is mostly a hobby poroject, but it will fit into my trunk and i could probably think of many occasions to stay comfortably in it.

other than that, i mostly use a rain-fly when i need shelter out doors.

Smok
01-12-2008, 03:46 AM
I am going with the Yurt as well for just that reason, they can fit in the car . A Tepee I would need my truck and a trailer

flandersander
01-12-2008, 03:46 AM
A wood stove is essential. You can buy them but making your own tent is a great hobby. I greatly encourage that you try it yourself.

canid
01-12-2008, 04:02 AM
i plan to, and to enjoy it.

where i live now there is little need for a stove, or even a fire, even in much of the mountains nearby but i like spending time in the woods in oregon, washington, idaho, etc.

Smok
01-12-2008, 04:11 AM
With a stove not as much wood is need . One winter I did not got off work in time to get my own wood and I would not pay what the wood boys wanted so all winter I heated with what I could pick up here and there . and in the tent it did not take that much and I had some 17 deg. days

canid
01-12-2008, 04:29 AM
yeah, we only get a few 32 deg nights around here with highs in the 50s-60s.

Smok
01-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Every one will think us Sissy for our mild winters AND YOU NEED FIRE TO KEEP WARM ....I can just hear it

spiritman
01-12-2008, 05:24 AM
lol even the ppl who probably will tease you sissy's (ha ha jk) would still have a fire to keep warm if they were there and it was 32 or 17 degrees

Smok
01-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Will ..with that comes 90% humidity and it can get very cold , to the BONE COLD :(

RBB
01-12-2008, 06:39 AM
I have a lot of tents, running the gamet from 12'X12' canvas to a couple of little 5 pound nylon backpacking tents and one Hennessy Hammock (that I've never actually used camping). I like the canvas ones best, though I have an old one made of Egyptian cotton that is very nice and fairly light weight.

Probably my favorite tent is a canvas Snowtrekker - made by Empire Canvas Works. It seems small when you set it up, but large when you get inside. I heat it with an eight pound titanium stove, made by Four Dog Stove Co. The stove is fairly air tight and will hold a fire all night if you have good wood. Sure makes for a cozy camp.

I thought the price of the stove was outrageous when I bought it, but it was over twice as much the last time I checked. Total weight of the stove and tent are 20 pounds. Works great for hauling on a toboggan, though it is a bit much for canoe travel if you have a lot of portages. It does work well for a canoeing base camp, and is great for hunting season.

We've lived "out" a couple of seasons, over the years, and one year we lived in a "ridge pole lodge" on a 1/4 section on a creek and a small lake - near the BWCA. It is a great place to camp with brook trout in the creek and good size northerns in the flowage. It is also close to good ricing waters and our sugar bush. This ridgepole lodge is an Ojibwe derived dwelling which looks like two tipis with a ridgepole between them. Originally constructed with a bark exterior, the one we lived in was covered with canvas. With a firepit with two covered draft trenches dug to the exterior of the lodge, it was a very comfortable way to live. We had side draft curtains and an onan, so it kept us warm way into the autumn - though we pulled up stakes before the snow came.

Our other long term outing we spent in a 1928 "Arrowhead #2 Touring" tent made by the Duluth Tent and Awning Company (the same folks who make Duluth Packs). We built a wooden floor for the tent and had very comfortable living quarters on a river.

Rick
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
No tent for me. I'll just shack up in your abandoned house or barn. Use your fireplace or stove to heat it and stay out of the rain and cold. Take advantage of what's available.

I had an uncle that was in the Marines in WWII. He hit a number of beaches and was wounded three times. He swore he never stepped onto a beach with anything other than his canteen if he wasn't in the first wave. Everything he needed, rifle, ammo, et al., was already on the beach. No use carrying it in. I sort of adopted that philosophy. Think of how many folks will be buggin' out and how many places are going to be empty.

Sourdough
01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
No tent for me. I'll just shack up in your abandoned house or barn. Use your fireplace or stove to heat it and stay out of the rain and cold. Take advantage of what's available.

I had an uncle that was in the Marines in WWII. He hit a number of beaches and was wounded three times. He swore he never stepped onto a beach with anything other than his canteen if he wasn't in the first wave. Everything he needed, rifle, ammo, et al., was already on the beach. No use carrying it in. I sort of adopted that philosophy. Think of how many folks will be buggin' out and how many places are going to be empty.

Rick, Think of all the stuff that was cast aside the trail In the Gold Rush stampeeds. Maybe the place to "BUGOUT" to is the city dump, talk about living off the land, or the "Fat" of the land.

Another idea, We go to the public fishing holes in the winter, when the water level drops, and recover hundreds of snagged, like new fishing spinner, spoons, and a few rods n' reels.

Perhaps if a BUGOUTER waited till the following spring, He could find lots of nice "HALF Built" log cabins In the National Parks.

Rick
01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Folks are going to flee and leave tons of stuff behind. Every home as a water heater, that's clean water. Not too mention can goods that will be left behind. Just me and the rats scavenging till our little hearts are content while they shoot it out on the road to nowhere. Then we can just cruise the interstates and gather up what we need after they kill each other. I think I'll go watch Omega Man now.

NorthWindTrails
01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Rick ... Sad, but true, isn't it? I am sort of a WW2 "junkie", I suppose. "Saving Private Ryan" ... "Band of Brothers", etc. Your Uncle, of course, makes perfect sense and a very realistic point. A whole lot of "wanna-be's" will only be half prepared for any real disaster, and I agree, the roads and waysides will be littered with the stuff they half planned for. I am sure you would also agree, though, that being ready is still the best plan personally to have. I recall a comment Owl Girl made awhile back in another thread, where she said something to the effect that "I am responsible for my own well-being, and not depending on another for providing for it." I hope I didn't misquote her too badly, but her point stands. Maybe you'll be able to make it on the things left behind, but the beaches of Normandy were a bit more "concentrated" in the collection points of the necessities than I believe the average wilderness setting will be ... or even suburban setting, for that matter. Look at the aftermath of Katrina for what I'm getting at. Roaming bands of thugs looking for loot and rape. Better not to need to confront the creeps because I have what I need cached in a pre-planned gathering place for myself and a select group away from the teeming twits. There may alo be something in the notion of "Bugging In". Worth pondering. BTW, howdy, neighbor to the south! NortWind

NorthWindTrails
01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Another comment ... I also agree with your comment of cruising around AFTER the twits eliminate one another, and scavenge/collect what got left behind. Would have to see how long it took them to pick each other off ... and I'll still need to keep body and soul together until then. (We are probably WAY the heck off thread ... heee heee :)

Rick
01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I have my BOB at the ready. I don't practice my skills just to stay here, I just happen to think you are more vulnerable when you are on the road. Especially if you are trapped in a mess like Houston saw when Katrina approached. My step brother as in that traffic and he shared some pretty hair raising stories. I've said elsewhere I'll hang here unless I have to move but I'll try and time that so it's not at the same time as the masses. Might be before, might be after.

I don't have a tent. My son does has a small one that would be enough for his family. I have a tarp that would be just fine for my wife and I. If, as Smok said, the weather is bad then I'll have to build something more substantial. I'm not too sure a Wickiup or even a Hogan wouldn't be something I'd tackle.

canid
01-12-2008, 09:52 PM
wikiups, debris shelters etc. can be much more substantial shelter than a tent and still be done in a day or so. i love building debris shelters.

Rick
01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
You bet. The old, old shelters were mostly den or nest type shelters. Dug into a bank similar to a cave or something on the order of a hogan. Either one covered over with logs and dirt. A couple of guys can build one pretty quickly and they can be really warm and waterproof.

Catfish
01-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Something else to consider is that even though you might have an 'ideal' bug out spot in mind, the chances are, if you've seen it, so has someone else. You might arrive to find someone, or several someones, already in residence. Or you may need to be prepared to defend it from interlopers, which will take a lot of time and energy you'd rather be using for staying alive.

I'm still inclined to think my home would be one of the better places to stay. At least until the coffee runs out.

Rick
01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah!!!! Another one with a touch of good sense. I say we ransack their houses while their gone. 2 weeks the whole thing blows over and they come back home only to find their grill in your back yard and all their fire wood stacked in mine.:D

canid
01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
no! bad sir! you may not have my firewood. the grills, i have too many. ust don't be a' touchin' my three robot daughters.

Rick
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
This sounds like another traveling salesman and the three robot daughters joke.

Smok
01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
So hide out in the waste lands were there is little water or food till it settles down then come out and kick butt :cool: That works too

Rick
01-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Hopeak, I think I might have posted this somewhere else, I'm not sure. Anyway, when I was in your country (to the south a bit) I heard stories about those miners being required to transport 2000 pounds of supplies and equipment before the RCMP would allow them to move into the wilderness. Just as you described, items were cast by the way side, even cast iron stoves!

canid
01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
yup. it was an established, and greatly generalized year's provision, much of it often useless.

wildWoman
01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I spent a few summers living in a walltent. They're a popular option up here, maybe kind of a remnant from the gold rush days...They're not bad, and you can put a stove into it. Some people also spend winters in them but I'd rather build a small cabin than feeding all those logs into the woodstove to keep warm.

Sourdough
01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
I spent a few summers living in a walltent. They're a popular option up here, maybe kind of a remnant from the gold rush days...They're not bad, and you can put a stove into it. Some people also spend winters in them but I'd rather build a small cabin than feeding all those logs into the woodstove to keep warm.

A good way is both, Set up the wall tent straight and level, Instant home. Now build a log structure around the wall tent. Next shovel dirt agenst the logs for insulation. You can log all the way up the side walls visqueen over the top of the tent. You can even paint the inside of the tent every summer.

NorthWindTrails
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Something else to consider is that even though you might have an 'ideal' bug out spot in mind, the chances are, if you've seen it, so has someone else. You might arrive to find someone, or several someones, already in residence. Or you may need to be prepared to defend it from interlopers, which will take a lot of time and energy you'd rather be using for staying alive.

I'm still inclined to think my home would be one of the better places to stay. At least until the coffee runs out.

Ahh, yes, Catfish ... We'd better cache lotsa COFFEE! Since reading the article on "Backpack Survival" referenced earlier, it's looking more and more like "Buggin IN" is a much better proposition. I still plan on keeping my EMS certificate updated, for barter purposes. Keep your powder dry! NorthWind

tracks
01-17-2008, 12:11 AM
doesnt sound like youll get out of sight for a couple days.better think small
and light ..wall tents and heaters not good bug out stuff tube tents and
body warmers leave more room for food,ammo and toilet paper ever tried
to bug out with the greasy cheecks dont get far like that either......
build a small fire and sit close......

Smok
01-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Ahh, yes, Catfish ... We'd better cache lotsa COFFEE! Since reading the article on "Backpack Survival" referenced earlier, it's looking more and more like "Buggin IN" is a much better proposition. I still plan on keeping my EMS certificate updated, for barter purposes. Keep your powder dry! NorthWind
The EMS is what I was trying to get a cross when I made a post about " to stay alive longer make yourself of value to others and they will help you stay alive" as you help them.. That was said before by someone here ,there may be allot of hunters but only one Blacksmith , or one Doctor so learn a skill that no one has but everyone will need and you will have skill to barter and a reson for others to want to keep you alive ..Yes I know that your all very tuff but there will be a day when you are not and would'nt it be nice if someone other then your loved ones would want to keep you alive?

Sourdough
01-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Remember: WildWomen is in outter Canada near or on the Yukon River. And I am in Alaska on two happy creeks. We are all ready bugged-out. Besides at -37 below tube tents are well........lacking. And my new outhouse has fresh toilet paper, no door, but fresh paper.....

tracks
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Canada and Alaska.... little bit out of my range for bugin out,
Here in South Carolina
were still swating mosquitos...just SPOKE OUT OF TURN I GUESS.SORRY.

Sourdough
01-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Canada and Alaska.... little bit out of my range for bugin out,
Here in South Carolina
were still swating mosquitos...just SPOKE OUT OF TURN I GUESS.SORRY.

No problem: Why we got mosquitos so big. How big ya' say, we wing shoot them with a .10 gage shotgun, and while there flopping around we finish them off with .44 Mag.

I got some kin folk in Seneca, S.C. Nice country. Nice people.

tracks
01-17-2008, 01:44 AM
would you believe its snowing here ,and according to my thermomiter its 36 right now
not much for acumalation but makes one heck of a mess out of the red clay around here.It will take twice as long to check traps tomorrow

Smok
01-17-2008, 03:42 AM
tracks... You have got to come back with one better then that !! Like .. Yes I've heard of your bugs up there have you heard of our snapping turtles , one got in the road the other day the turtle was so big it blocked the interstate ..Stoped traffic all day and that is a four lane road..:eek: :D

canid
01-17-2008, 05:25 AM

you obviously don't have a lady like mine :D
she's capable of being tougher than any two bears, she's just not willing to go without the heating and whatnot.

Rick
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Hopeak. Thanks for the invite and I had my bags all packed until you told me the outhouse didn't have a door and it's -37!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to unpack them now.

Sarge47
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Think I'd opt for a large Winnebago, that is if there's no vacncies left at the Holiday Inn!:rolleyes:

wildWoman
01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Hopeak. Thanks for the invite and I had my bags all packed until you told me the outhouse didn't have a door and it's -37!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to unpack them now.
Aaah, Rick, it's not as bad as you think! Why'd you want to sit on a porcelain throne, staring at your bathroom wall, when you could instead be watching the northern lights, admire the view acoss the lake/creek...secret is a disgusting-looking piece of styrofoam that serves as a seat- instant warmth as you park your behind. And since in the winter you'd be wearing a warm jacket and pants outside, you just pull the pants down as far as you have to, spread the bottom of your jacket over your legs and around the seat...no big deal. You could build an outhouse in your backyard with no door and give it a try! :D

Sourdough
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM

Rick, You know the saying, "Get er' Done". It is 13 above just now. WildWomen is correct, Blue board, also called Dow Board, it comes in pink or blue. It really is magic. Rick, If your not man enough, (just kidding) Just send a good women, or a bad women.

canid
01-17-2008, 03:15 PM
i once lived in a place with an outhouse tha had a curtain in place of a door and faced into the prevailing wind. fun stuff on a stormy night with driving rain just above freezing :D

Rick
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, you can imagine what would be blue if I had to use it at -37. My grandfather had an outdoor privy (we were a little classier than just an outhouse. Moon in the door and all). I can remember carrying the lantern out there to help warm things up a bit and it wasn't anywhere near that cold.

Beo
01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I always use a diamond shelter, 10x10 piece of oil cloth, waterproof and warm with a leaf floor and drop cloth. Put the fire about 3 feet from the entrance or opening, behind or to one side of diamond shelter is a lean-to, build this second and around your tent. Sleeps two comfortably.

RBB
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Been reading the "bug out, don't bug out" posts with interest. Not sure it wouldn't be a good idea to stay put in many warmer locales, but the further north you get - the more you have to wonder how livable your home would be without electricity, gas or fuel oil. I know ours wouldn't be, without a lot of work.

We do have a 16' X 20' bunkhouse out back - wood heating stove, wood cook stove, and enough Hudson's Bay blankets to keep us warm.

Hopeak's posts concerning his outhouse also makes me glad I've never let the Mrs talk me into getting rid of "that eyesore." If none of your indoor plumbing works, having a "little house" is mighty handy.

Using other people's dwellings for shelter just wouldn't work real well here in winter. Maybe you could use their garden shed - if you could figure a way to heat it. We have a 11' X 14' shack up north, and even with the stove roaring - it takes about half a day to warm the place up, in winter, and after three or four days, you might be able to shed your boots. Trying to warm up an average sized house would take far longer - if it would be possible at all.

Other posts concerning debris shelters and the like - there was a reason Native American's lodges were small - easier to heat. Around here, the diamond fly would work for three seasons. In winter it is not a viable alternative. Coldest I've seen it here is minus 58. While that doesn't happen often, minus 20 is a common occurrence in winter, and that would make for some serious difficulty without good shelter.

Loosing the use of a large well heated home during winter would be disastrous for many. Can a human being put up with living outdoors? Yes, but it sure helps to be acclimatized. One year, the Mrs and I moved from Seattle back here in January. I never did feel warm the rest of the winter. In other words, if you spent a year in a tent, you'd weather it much better than to start tenting February 1.

Smok
01-23-2008, 01:41 AM
The yurt is insulated and came out of Mongolia were it is very cold. The tepee has designs that make it far warmer but you need to look in to this more if you plan on bugging out