PDA

View Full Version : Sea urchin could lead to knives that never need sharpening

Justin Case
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
A sea urchin with teeth that can eat through stone could one day lead to knives which never need sharpening.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01792/purple-sea-urchin_1792744c.jpg

The creatures have self-honing teeth which allow them to chomp through stone, carving out hideaways on rocky shores.

Scientists have now learned how the urchins keep their teeth razor-sharp and believe that technology based on the same principle could create everlasting bladed tools.

CONTINUED @ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8224831/Sea-urchin-could-lead-to-knives-that-never-need-sharpening.html

LowKey
12-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Tools with a self-sharpening edge, maybe.
I don't think I'd want to eat the shed pieces of knife blade edge in my prepared food...though I guess you take that risk using knapped blades. If you use knapped blades.

Justin Case
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Tools with a self-sharpening edge, maybe.
I don't think I'd want to eat the shed pieces of knife blade edge in my prepared food...though I guess you take that risk using knapped blades. If you use knapped blades.

Thats what I was thinking,, its "Natural Knapping",,,

mountain1
12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
well that wouldn't be any fun. i enjoy sharpening stuff:)

Rick
12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Do you enjoy Introductions, too? We have a section just for you. How about sharpening your way over there and tell us a bit about yourself?

crashdive123
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
well that wouldn't be any fun. i enjoy sharpening stuff:)

Hmmmmm. Your voice sounds familiar.

your_comforting_company
12-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Analysing the teeth of the California purple sea urchin, the scientists found a complex structure of layered calcite crystals held together by super-hard natural cement.

Between the crystals are layers of weaker organic material. As each hard layer becomes blunt it breaks off, exposing a fresh crystalline surface beneath. In this way, the sea urchin's teeth stay sharp.

The way I understand it, it would be pieces so small, you'd never know they were there. Since the article doesn't diagram the crystalline structure it's hard to say whether they'd be pebble size, or microscopic.
That said, every time you use your knife, a bit is abraded off.. that's why it needs sharpening. Under the assumption that the crystals are micro-fine, it would be no different. probably sharper even..
Oh the wonders of nature!

Rick
12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
His face does look familiar now that you mention it. Do you have any brothers?