PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting Story.

klickitat
12-25-2010, 05:05 PM
While living in Idaho I really got into bear hunting. The area I lived in had nice black bears that routinely ran into the 350-400 pound range and there was a lot of cinnamon bears. Baiting of bears is legal there and I was shown how as soon as I moved over there by a good friend who also showed me how to trap cats.

The set up I was taught to use goes like this. I found a nice area that I could come into from down wind on most days. I packed in two 50# bags of Ol' Roy's dog food. The cheapest I could find. Also packed into the bait station was a 5 gallon jug of used deep fry grease from a local mini mart. Also 2 large containers of vanilla extract from the dollar store and a spray bottle from there too.

I walked up wind until I found an ideal spot. I wanted a nice trail that was clear of debris so that I could sneak in. I needed a wide field of view so that I could see what was approaching. I also need brushy cover so that bears would feel comfortable coming into the bait. I also need an old slash pile to build a bait station that would guide the bear into position.

After using game trails to move through the woods I found the set up I was looking for. I found a nice slash pile from a thinning job from about ten years earlier. I dumped the bags of dog food at the base of the slash pile and then covered the pile of dog food with about 4 1/2 gallons of the deep fry grease.
The pile of food was then covered by logs and brush. This mostly to keep the ravens from eating all your food.

Back then I could not afford those new fangled trail cameras and could only afford a trail timer. Those where a digital clock attached to a thread to know what time game came through the area. I tied one end to a log over the bait and the timer to a tree about 7' up. This way when a bear pulled the log off the bait to get at it I would know what time it was coming in.
I then took half a bottle of vanilla extract and covered the entire slash pile.
Next I took my knife and poked a couple of holes in the bottom of the grease container so that it dripped. I then hit game trails leading away from the bait in 3 different directions; 180 degrees from my approach and 90 degrees from my approach on either side of the bait. I carried the oil container with dripping oil along each way. This created a scent trail for the bears to cross and lead them back to the bait. I made each scent trail about 1/4 mile long. Along those scent trails I also misted vanilla extract every 50 yards or so.

At the time, I had just read a story about a bear hunt that had a profound effect on me. You can read it here:http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13391

I decided that I wanted to take a bear up close, so my stand was on the ground 20 yards away from the bait itself. I found a comfortable place with my back to a nice pine tree.

It took about 3 days for a bear to hit the bait station. It hit the bait about 9:00 AM in the morning. I reset the time and came back two days later. The bear was back, but someone stole my timer. I was p!ssed. Then on the way out I seen huge pile of scat. I stop to check it out and found bits of green plastic in the pile. That SOB ate the timer???? I assumed it was just pissed off at the smell or something. Not sure, but that bear ate it and also took it down from 7' up. Also from the scat pile this was a nice bear.

On the way out that day I caught a glimpse of it walking over a ridge. It was a nice looking cinnamon bear. This was about 9:30 AM and so decided to come back in the morning and wait for it.

I snuck in about 8:00 AM to my spot with my 12g. single shot shotgun loaded with a slug (no one said I was the brightest) I had a light weight ghuilli suit on and sat against the pine I had picked out. There was some brush that was about 2' tall in front of my position and I felt that it was about as perfect as it could be.

After about an hour of sitting, I hear something coming in from behind me. CRUNCH, a foot step in the dry leaves on the ground. I then hear another. I can not turn to see because I leaning against a tree. I am a little freaked out at this time becasue it is coming in from behind me and I can't see it. DAMN! I CAN"T SEE! crunch, crunch, my breathing is getting faster. I am trying with all my strength to control my breathing. My chest is rising up and down faster than I care to admit. Crunch, damn, I am in a bad way here, if I move to see I will scare off my prize, if I stay here, I am deep sh!t. Maybe it will move off to the side. Crunch, my chest is rising up and down and I can not hardly control my breathing, I am in full blown panic now. Crunch, come on move to the side. How close is it to me know? I can't tell, if that paw comes around from behind and grabs my face, I am dead. Crunch, crap, crap, crap, I push off with my right foot and roll my shoulder against the tree. As I sort of fumble around the tree I see a big doe jump back about 30 feet away. HOLY CRAP, are you kidding me? A fricken dear? I stand up as she is trotting away and almost collapse from the adrenaline. WOW that was AWSOME!!!! After about 20 minutes of trying to get myself together, I figured the hunt is blown and walk out.

On the way out, guess what I see? Yep, my bear walking right down the trail. It sees me and spins 180 degrees right as I pull the trigger. I missed right to the left of it from about 50 yards off. I never did see that bear the rest of the season, but I rank that as one of my favorites bear hunts of all time.

tipacanoe
12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice thing about hunting, some of the best memories are when you don't get the game. Good read.

crashdive123
12-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

panch0
12-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I felt I was there with you. Great story, and you'll get em next time!

Rick
12-27-2010, 07:36 AM
I thought sure you were going to tell us the bear killed you. Whew! Great story!!

hunter63
12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks for posting, could really "feel the moment", nice job.

It's not always about a trophy.......

klickitat
12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I posted the other bear hunt where chased a bear around for a half hour. These two hunts are my favorite, not because I killed the bears, but because I was face to face with what I thought was death. This hunt was not as dangerous as I thought it was while the other was more dangerous than I could have ever imagined.

The rush I got by putting myself in a position where a dangerous animal has an opportunity to strike back made me feel more alive than anything I have ever done.