PDA

View Full Version : Survivalist Keith from KY

onewheelbiting
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone I am Keith and I come from Lexington KY. I am using the internet to learn more about surviving a major melt down of day to day life should the dollar continue going south.

Rick
01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Welcome home, onewheelbiting. One thing you'll find out about this site is it has far less to do with surviving the apocalypse than it does about honing your skills in the outdoors. It's about wilderness survival in general. However, if that's what you're here for then there is a wealth of knowledge you'll be able to pick up and apply to whatever scenario you choose. The most important aspect is practice.

onewheelbiting
01-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Rick,

Thanks...practice is the fun part I did a over nighter in 28 degree weather with my bugout gear just a few weekend ago. I try to practice only what I know. I do think our dollar is headed to hell and it won't be long before everyone at least needs to know a little something about survival.

Keith

Rick
01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, to each his own. I don't hold that sentiment but that's not to say I'm right. I practice wilderness survival because it's becoming a lost art and I want to be able to pass it on to my kids and my grandkids. Time in the bush is to be enjoyed and relished not planned for because it's the final fortress, IMHO.

Jay
01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Greetings & welcome!

Elkchsr
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome aboard

Rick is right on this

Time in the bush is to be enjoyed and relished not planned for because it's the final fortress

This says every thing with the difference between a 'Survivalist' and 'Survival'

I believe most on this board fit the later :)

onewheelbiting
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry most on this board in my opinion are asleep to the problems of this nation's government. Go to Canada see if your dollar goes as far today as it did 4 years ago??? Then compare what it is worth. After you do that then read international trade news from a source not inside the USA and I think you will see we like the Russia of 1991 are headed south quicker then thought here at home! Show me proof otherwise that is none bias and produced outside the USA and I will believe you.

Rick
01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
There is nothing to believe or disbelieve in Elkchsr's post. Most of the folks on board here are interested in survival rather than being a survivalist. There is a big difference. As I said, you'll welcome to your opinion but his post is accurate none-the-less. As to whether or not we are asleep, again, that is just one man's opinion.

Elkchsr
01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
LOL Rick... :)

Sarge47
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Yo, 1W.B., You're welcome to post here as long as you keep politics out of it, understand? There are many other forums that deal with this "paranoid crapola" and I must also ask that you keep "name-calling" out of it as well. Do we understand one another? :cool:

Tony uk
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the fourm, Enjoy :D

RBB
01-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, to each his own. I don't hold that sentiment but that's not to say I'm right. I practice wilderness survival because it's becoming a lost art and I want to be able to pass it on to my kids and my grandkids. Time in the bush is to be enjoyed and relished not planned for because it's the final fortress, IMHO.

Hmm... Wish I had some kids that were interested. While they probably all know more than the person on the street - their interest level is about zero. All of them into computers and technology.

Well, there's always hope the grandkids might be interested.

Rick
01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
RBB - My youngest is the most enthusiastic about it. He's been just about everywhere backpacking and hiking but his interests have been more on the modern equipment side. He's leaving in the morning for Montana as a matter of fact. Once he started to learn some primitive ways he was hooked. My oldest likes to do it but he's not too keen on getting cold or hot or dirty or .......:D

Tony uk
01-11-2008, 10:32 PM
RBB - My youngest is the most enthusiastic about it. He's been just about everywhere backpacking and hiking but his interests have been more on the modern equipment side. He's leaving in the morning for Montana as a matter of fact. Once he started to learn some primitive ways he was hooked. My oldest likes to do it but he's not too keen on getting cold or hot or dirty or .......:D

But :eek: Cold, dirty, smelly, wet, hot, sweaty, hungry, tired, fed up is half the fun of it :D

Rick
01-11-2008, 10:46 PM
That's what I keep telling him. My youngest one has the smelly part down just fine. He came straight out of the bush in South Africa and flew back to London then on to home. I'm glad I was not on either of those planes. We did have a long talk about that little stunt. He was a bit younger then. Thankfully, he's matured.

Tony uk
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
That's what I keep telling him. My youngest one has the smelly part down just fine. He came straight out of the bush in South Africa and flew back to London then on to home. I'm glad I was not on either of those planes. We did have a long talk about that little stunt. He was a bit younger then. Thankfully, he's matured.

Ive never liked pulling stunts, i like to be warm and all but a trip int the wilderness is ruined if you try to keep clean (To the same standard as you are at your home)

I like jumping into loches ive there are any near, just at the shallows its refershing and cleans you and gives you the chill so keep a good fire going for when you come out

Rick
01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
He was in a "deoderant causes cancer crusade" when he was about 19. You know how kids are at that age. Met him on the AT once in Virginia I think and made him ride in the back with the windows open. Threatened to run him through a car wash. Literally. He's grown now with a couple of his own kids. "Just wait," I whisper. "Just you wait.":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ole WV Coot
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Greetings, I grew up in Eastern KY and live on the other side of the river now. I am trying to re-learn things I knew when I was a kid. Back in the '50s I learned a lot from some old folks that lived up a hollow, no electricity nothing, just like stepping back 100yrs. I learned more about living off the land and being self sufficient from them than I have since. Many years working in cities and moving around I have forgotten lots that I once knew. I learn something new most days from this list and I will handle whatever comes my way like I always have but I did learn not to think gloom & doom, I have confidence in myself in just about any situation.:D

Tactical Tom
01-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Howdy 'Ol Bud, I'm in Pike County Ky. just about 2 hrs from you. ;)

tracks
01-17-2008, 02:19 AM
WELL SAID RICK,My thought exactly.Never gave much thought to why;Just always
seemed like the right thing to do.. Gives one a feeling of pride and acomplishment
even in failure ,if such a thing exist in TRADITIONAL LIVING SKILLS.